Turn on thread page Beta

Need help choosing what to do at Uni! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I' getting bored of reading university prospectuses and want real opinions. I'm just finishing year 12 now, doing English lit, Geography, Art and textiles at AS level (and I don't know what to drop.)
    Apparently we have to decide what course to take soon so that we can start writing personal statements but I don't know what to do. I talked to my form tutor and she came up with English lit (but I'm a bit hesistant about that because I'm not that interested in it) or History of Art. At first I was a bit dubious about history of art because I thought that it was a bit snobby, but it sounds very interesting. What is everyone else's opinions on it???
    I've also thought about doing anthology, but I don't know that much about it.
    What would be best to do????
    And also does anyone know any good books to read for any of these courses?

Thanks,
    jenny

ReputationRep:
    If you don't enjoy english lit, then you definitely shouldn't do that. It's a competitivie subject and if you don't seem extremely passionate about it, universities are likely to not be interested.
    How about doing the Stamford test at http://www.ucas.ac.uk/? You answer simple questions and at the end of it it comes up with courses well suited for you!
    What are your favourite subjects of the ones you study? If you love the researching history part of the art course, then History of Art would be great!

ReputationRep:
    how interested in the arts are you because you could persue a career in that. If your really into it then maybe you should have a look at an arts foundation course. Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    Or you could do art foundation after you finish A2, then that gives you a bit more time to think about uni and decide if art is really for you.

ReputationRep:
    fashion designing?? 3 from my textile class are off into fashion.. One design.. and two buying i think?? By adding the buying or technology aspect, it will make it a loss less boring and you;d probably be much more employable than just designing...

ReputationRep:
    Or if you can't find a course you want to do, don't go to university. xx

ReputationRep:
    yea you could take a year out? then decide in that time whats right for u??

ReputationRep:
    Definitely don't do English lit if you don't enjoy it. If you want to do history of art, don't let the fact that it's 'snobby' put you off; a lot of subjects have stereotypes surrounding them but they're often unture, and I'm sure you'd fit in fine. As others have suggested though, it might be worth taking a gap year and applying next year if you don't know what to do, otherwise you might rush into choosing a course and hate it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry! I haven't a clue what I'm going to do at uni - keep switching between bio/maths/med. Plenty of time over the summer to decide. Write the bit of your PS that's about you and what a fantastically well-rounded person you are. Then you could try writing the rest as if you were applying for courses in English/History of Art/Anthropology/each of your A level subjects, and see which insipires you the most.

I google-whacked anthropology and came up with a few sites for you:
    American Anthropological Association
    Poyal Anthropological Institute
    Also, UCAS lists all the Anthropology degrees starting in 2006 on their website here.

Re-iterating what people have said earlier, definately don't do English Lit if you're not that interested in it. It is extremely competitive anyway. History of Art sounds good, I don't think it's snobby though it sometimes gets a bad press. If you're interested in it, look up university departments and find out about courses. Could you see yourself doing that for 3/4 years?

Have you any idea about careers? I know whenever someone asks me that I want to hit them over the head! It seems insane we have to think about that kinda stuff at 17, but if you do have any ideas, it might help with decisions. With a History of Art degree you could be a curator, work in a museum, be an art teacher etc. An anthropology degree could get you working in a museum, in a lab (physical anthropology), or as an archeologist. According to the Americans, you mostly need a doctorate if you want to go into academia.

Hope that helps, the above is all stuff I found out from 10 minutes of surfing, and there's a load more information available.

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    Try History of Art with Anthropology, or something Visual Communicationy

ReputationRep:
    If you're not interested in a subject then don't do it - it's a recipe for disaster. Think of ones you may be interested in and read around them - talk to people at Universities, seek out advice from current students and look up some websites. Maybe do some reading around the subjects. Incidentally if you're interested in Anthropology and History of Art then maybe Archaeology is another possibility being closely related to these other subjects. Failing that consider the possibility of a combined honours degree covering more than one academic subject.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.