Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im taking a parent along with me to two open days. just wondering what everyone's opinions are on this?

ReputationRep:
    Ive gone to open days with parents, I dont think it really matters. If your parent is interested then theres no real difference. For some reason in medicine talks there always seem to be A LOT of parents compared to looking around the university in general. I dont know why>>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    im taking a parent along with me to two open days. just wondering what everyone's opinions are on this?
    I think its a mistake. When i went to the SOAS open day a couple of weeks ago i was pretty irritated by how many people had brought their parents (the great majority) as they really did get in the way of conversation etc and made it harder to get to know people. As it was the only people who really got to know each other were those of us who had turned up alone and consequently didnt have any such parental crutch to hold onto. If you really want to show your parent about you should meet up with them after/towards the end of the open day and do so then after youve had a chance to go about and meet people on your own.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. I went to the SOAS Open Day alone, and got quite a bit irritated with the number of parents there. I did end up meeting some people, but I'm sure I might have met more if not for the high number of accompanying parents. Shame!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's petty to get annoyed at people bringing their parents. University is going to be an important part of their childs life and most parents also want to look at what they are contributing to.

In my opinion if your parents are interested then take them, if they aren't then don't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure it matters. At Royal Holloway quite a few parents had come, but the staff 'looked after them', while some students took us on a tour of the halls and union and things like that. Maybe it's just SOAS where it's a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I've only been to one open day so far (Royal Holloway) and I took my mum. A lot of people had parents with them, so you might end up on your own all day if you don't take anyone with you, which would be pretty horrible.

ReputationRep:
    if yr parents wanna go... let them. this is the time in which they have to accept that they don't have their 'little baby'

ReputationRep:
    Taking parents is a good thing. They would take you there instead of you going alone. In addition, they could attend a parents talk and/or student finance talk too. Furthermore, they might want to see the uni and hear about how good the course is.

Loads of students went with their parents during open days. I think more than 90%. :p:

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks everyone! i did entertain the thought of going alone, but i know from medlink how many parents like to tag along. i was quite surprised at just how many parents had made the long journey down with their children, and how many of them sat in on the talks... whereas i was COMPLETELY on my own, i didnt even go with a friend!

so the general consensus seems to be take a parent?

i did find them a little irritating at medlink, b/c there i'm not sure it was entirely neccessary, but i can understand when it comes to uni open days. my parents didn't go to english universities so i think they'd quite like to look around with me. plus, it does seem intimidating when you're faced with hords of parents and you're on your own w/o.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    I visited six universities, and my mum came along for the trip each time, and I had no problem with that at all, neither did anyone else. (Actually, tbh it was probably essential for me as I'm not great with figuring out public transport :p: ) Nearly everyone I spoke to on the respective open days had come with a parent anyway. It didn't stop me meeting people or chatting to people at all, as for most of the time (eg York, Durham etc) parents were asked to go in a different room to the students. Why should it matter?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=White_redrose](Actually, tbh it was probably essential for me as I'm not great with figuring out public transport :p: )

:rofl: I thought that was just me! I'm useless at stuff like that. I'd have enough trouble just buying a train ticket and finding the platform, let alone knowing where to go when I got there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White_redrose)
    Why should it matter?
    i guess i didn't want to be just the one person with her 'mummy' in tow. but these posts reassured me i was right to get my mum along! she may well get me to ask and think of some important questions i may not have thought of myself and bring a fresh persective to the visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    (Original post by White_redrose)
    (Actually, tbh it was probably essential for me as I'm not great with figuring out public transport :p: )
    :rofl: I thought that was just me! I'm useless at stuff like that. I'd have enough trouble just buying a train ticket and finding the platform, let alone knowing where to go when I got there!
    lol, that's true.

im going to bristol on thurs, and im a bit nervous as i heard they don't like public school students. all i can do is go along and see if i like the place enough to apply, and if i don't get in, i don't get in!

it would be a shame though if i didn't like it, seeing as it's going to cost me and my mum over £100 to get there!

(we're going by train incase you were wondering!).

ReputationRep:
    I went to 6 open days on my own, and then went back to Kings with my parents for a second open day after I had decided that I definitely wanted to go there. Makes little difference either way IMHO, but you have to find your own way around sometime.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my mum...Gives you a different view on the university, as you will see somethings and she will see others.

ReputationRep:
    Goodness, I'm sorry if my post offended you! I simply wanted to share things the way I felt them on the day. Come to think of it, had I had the opportunity to bring my mother (we live in the south of France, you see, and I flew over to London for a few days without her) I probably would have, but now I really treasure the experience of discovering things on my own. It was really something.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on you and the way you feel on the day. My son went to Uni last year and I went to the city with him but not the Uni. I then met him afterwards for a coffee before getting back on the train. Meant I was near enough if needed and he only had to ring me. Best of both worlds really. He kept his independance, but I was there if needed.

ReputationRep:
    I went to one with my mum, one on my own and one with friends. I probably enjoyed the on my own one the most as I made an effort to talk to more people. It's a lot less intimidating to go up to one person who's on their own than to a person with a parent, but if you're taking a parent you'll have someone to talk to and to organise things If your parents are interested in going, and the uni doesn't specify students only, then take them if you want and you'll no doubt not be the only one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I went to one with my mum, one on my own and one with friends. I probably enjoyed the on my own one the most as I made an effort to talk to more people. It's a lot less intimidating to go up to one person who's on their own than to a person with a parent, but if you're taking a parent you'll have someone to talk to and to organise things If your parents are interested in going, and the uni doesn't specify students only, then take them if you want and you'll no doubt not be the only one
    I didn't know that some uni open days specify stduents only. When I went to my open days more than 85% brought one parent with them. It could be quite useful especially for the finance talks.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.