Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It never ****ing ends.... after 5 and 6 im sick of bio.
    Any ideas on the synoptic essay questions?? anyone found any patterns??
    And is 2 days enough to prepare lol?

ReputationRep:
    i know lol im starting revising the day b4 for it really (well i retook module 1 so thats ok)
    Synoptic is a nightmare! Ad an exam every day this week and im sick of them now! There is a huge list of essay questions on www.biologymad.com or co.uk cant remember what it is!

ReputationRep:
    How much detail do we have to go into?!

For example if talking about the genetic code and so therefore about recombinant dna technology, should you describe it in detail or would that be going off the point???!!!! And if so how much detail is too much or too little?! So confused lol.

I am just brainstorming. My english skills are appalling so can only hope for content marks!

ReputationRep:
    Im gna fail paper 8.....hopefully it wont matter tho...its only out of like 60! And u cud pretty much blag it especially if uve retaken a few papers and therefore covered past stuff. Im starting revision for it on thursday

ReputationRep:
    I think I need those 60 points lol. Hopefully did well on coursework!!!!!

Lipids has not come up yet and proteins and carbohydrates has!!! So that is one possible essay!!!!

ReputationRep:
    yeh its a bit wierd i dont know how to revise for it so ive decided not to go thru any more material really. jus goin 2 list the past essay questions and then make half page brainstorms or something n try some of the earlier questions. yeh gets scaled to 60 ums so hopefully shouldnt make tooo big an impact.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think this gets scaled up or down does it? Paper is out of 60 and so is the UMS mark. When we did a mock a few weeks ago in college we got an overall synoptic mark which was the coursework (/60) which had been scaled added to the synoptic paper which was just the raw mark. But thats neither here nor there really.

Not looking forward to this actually, I think the biggest part of the Unit 8/9 paper is that it's testing exam technique more than anything. A lot of answers involve quite basic biology but it's trying to figure out what the question is actually asking that's the more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Not looking forward to this actually, I think the biggest part of the Unit 8/9 paper is that it's testing exam technique more than anything. A lot of answers involve quite basic biology but it's trying to figure out what the question is actually asking that's the more difficult.
    Thats the part im most stuggling with, i understand the bio just not what the question wants

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but they're not going to want huge detail though. They know you *know* all the temperatuers and stages in the polymerase chain reaction (if that's on your syllabus) so they'd only ask you a question like, "what method would you use to replicate a small amount a DNA?"
    Went to a conference run by AQA examiners and they said it's only the principles they test not the detail. Do you AQA A lot have an option module as well? I have one for B on behvaiour and populations on friday - my synoptic paper was yesterday.... that could have been worse I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing the AQA A human biology? i know we get the same essay question as AQA A biology people

ReputationRep:
    Yeah im doing human....
    I have a feeling Lipids may come up, i bloody well hope not! I can't do that to save my life... processes and myself do not mix.

I much prefer the conceptual questions like "different adaptations of cells for their different functions".. ya know, proper biology, not just processes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnwarneruk)
    Yeah im doing human....
    I have a feeling Lipids may come up, i bloody well hope not! I can't do that to save my life... processes and myself do not mix.

I much prefer the conceptual questions like "different adaptations of cells for their different functions".. ya know, proper biology, not just processes...
    well for lipids we could say about myelin, and then talk about saltatory conduction.
    Umm also about the phospholipid bilayer and its importance (dont actually know tho!)... also about the need for fatty acids in the diet. And how lipase breaks lipids down with the help of bile salts.
    Can you think of any other uses of lipids my minds gone blank!!

ReputationRep:
    Other uses include Insulation, Protection against damage, Energy storage.. There are also saturated and unsaturated fats although i can't remember the difference

My nightmare question would be "Explain how lipids are digested and used by the body"

BYA8 Mark scheme and sample questions:
    http://www.biologymad.com/Module%208...Essay%20Titles

ReputationRep:
    saturated have all the carbon linked to 2 hydrogens each i think, whereas unsaturated have double bonds between some carbon molecules so therefore less hydrogen atoms on it; right Im getting confused now I def need to start revising!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, although i have no idea where to start, and perhaps am being lazy and cynical in saying it's completely random so revision is unlikely to help. I will try and revise fats though, just in case. can't do me any harm.

The above sample questions have all come up before.

Reading the examiners reports this morning, it seems that A. the chief examiner is quite harsh about people taking his syllabus, and B. examiners particually dislike lenghty introductions and going off topic, and particually like going into some detail on most topics, rather than lots of detail on a few topics, the examiners hate lists of topics though, you have to justify any topic you pick with scientific knowlege rather than just naming them, no buzzwords.

Heres some lipid questions from BYA1. im' screwed i cant' do these!!

LIPID TEST QUESTIONS

1. What two chemicals combine to form a lipid? [2]

…………………………
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.