Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Wow, nice! Youve gone into a hell of alot of detail in some places there, more than I know, esp with the cancer. Definately picked some useful stuff up from it, thanks.

I decided to do some brainstorming on Transport and i ended up including all 4 topics i mentioned earlier, i didnt go into detail but i did try and cover everything:

PS. Do viruses have antigens? (I guess not)

Go here:
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/aspacesomewhere/
    For those of you not famailiar with spaces click the small button (Box with arrow through it) at the bottom of the photo preview to view fulls size.

Sorry if it's scrawl they actually scanned really badly, however if you can read it Is there anything obvious i seem to have missed?

*'s are things im not too sure about and need to research

ReputationRep:
    i jus thought of this, but hope it doesn't come up!

describe the effects of exercise inside the human body
    cardiac output
    pulmonary ventialtion
    pulmonary + systemtatic circulation (increasing O2 and lgucose for resp, and removal of CO2 + lactci acid)
    resdistrubtion of blood flow to organs
    aerobic respiration (mitochondria/ATP etc)
    transporting of respiratory gases - haemobglobin curve/ bohr effect
    increasing gas exchange

ReputationRep:
    [q]Transport - general transport including heamoglobin etc[/q]

what else can u write for this, my mind is blank on this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnwarneruk)

PS. Do viruses have antigens? (I guess not)
    I think that they do, if you have AQA A AS book, its on p.127. they're made up of a lipid bilayer, a capsid containing nucleic acid, and the antigens are normally glycoproteins.

(Original post by johnwarneruk)

Sorry if it's scrawl they actually scanned really badly, however if you can read it Is there anything obvious i seem to have missed?

*'s are things im not too sure about and need to research
    What about the distribution of blood when u exercise? Like it moves away from the digestive system and is pumped towards the muscles to get mroe o2 transported.
    Do you think cotransport proteins in digestion would count, im not sure tho!

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of that excersise one, You have respiration, heart rate, breathing, oxygen transport, muscle contraction and even fast twich + slow twich fibres to talk about. which you should be able to get lots of marks from several of them.

The myoglobin haemoglobin i can see being rather tricky

atm

-Haemoglobin (hmg)
    -oxygen transport
    -4 o2 per hmg molecule
    -o2 diffuses into hmg in red blood cell
    -Rbc Carried around body in blood, powered by heart (could be getting off topic depending on question)
    -When enters a zone of acidity (think ph) 02 is released
    -02 diffuses to respiring tissue
    h2co3 absorbed by hmg
    buffers in blood turn h2co3- + h => h2c03 (again depending on q)
    hmg returns h2c03 to lungs - h2c03 => co2 + h20, c02 diffuses out,

myoglobin, Found in muscle cells absorbs oxygen when cell is at rest, and releases when there is a low partial pressure of o2 in the system.
    Allows muscle to respire aerobically and get more atp per glucose molecule while Blood supply is compromised.
    Slows down the rate of fatigue.

Chlorophyl - Found in plantae, on leaves, on grana
    - Site of light dependant reactions
    - write down ldr.
    - say reduced nadp + atp are used in light independant reactions to form glucose/amino acids etc.

(PLEASE IF YOU SPOT A MISTAKE TELL ME <3 )

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wondering..if a transport question could we not write about transport of substances across plasma membrane and then go into active transport etc? What do you think? Would be nice if we could include all that stuff...diffusion etc. Do you think that'd be considered relevant?

ReputationRep:
    heres my plan for the transport question. i havent mentioned much about waste products tho, but i dont really learn it in muc detail 4 human bio
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc transport.doc (4.9 KB, 161 views)

ReputationRep:
    ... am i the only one thinking 'screw it' right now? and there's so much to learn, and so little time to learn it in! thank god this is my last exam.

ReputationRep:
    im not as worried about the essay as the questions - theres no way u ca prepare for them their horrid arent they?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptart86)
    im not as worried about the essay as the questions - theres no way u ca prepare for them their horrid arent they?!
    ure right bout the essay questions- theyr really hard 2 prepare for. btw slightly off topic i saw ure sig.. i mite be off to cardiff 2 lol depends on my grades tho and it doesnt look too good at the moment!! o and thanks for the notes on those titles..really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeyguru)
    ure right bout the essay questions- theyr really hard 2 prepare for. btw slightly off topic i saw ure sig.. i mite be off to cardiff 2 lol depends on my grades tho and it doesnt look too good at the moment!! o and thanks for the notes on those titles..really helpful
    Well depending on this crappy exam and my performance in BYA7 (didnt have a clue!!) i'll prob not end up going either; Ive stuffed up nearly every exam ive done this week I just hope we get nice questions for this synoptic, I know its unlikely tho!
    What course would u be doin there then, is it your first choice?

ReputationRep:
    Ive just planned the essay "structure and function of lipids"... doubt it will come up tho theres not much in either of my textbooks to write a long enough essay :rolleyes:
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: doc lipids.doc (1.7 KB, 154 views)

ReputationRep:
    This synoptic paper is a loada crap!

(1) The questions are so weird no normal person has a clue!

(2) The mark scheme is limited and usually random.

(3) Who the hell in their right mind wants to learn 2 years work for 1 exam?

(4) Everyone usually does crap in it, they always moan about it in the examiner reports so why bloody set it?!

ReputationRep:
    Ive just planned the essay "structure and function of lipids"... doubt it will come up tho theres not much in either of my textbooks to write a long enough essay :rolleyes:
    You are an angel!

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, your plans are brill, they have something i certainly lack... organisation. lol. i'll post something useful after ive had another look, at the moment i really cant be bothered to revise, i tried, i ended up lying in the sun... i'll try again when it's cooler.

A don't have an AS book which is slightly annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Your plans are great!

Are myelin sheaths around neurones made of lipid? Basically anything thats fat is lipids right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh they are! So you can also talk about saltatory conduction.

Also brown fat and subcutaneous fat in terms of thermoregulatory system.

The waxes on leaves are made up of a waxy lipid(makes them waterproof or sumthing?!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Looontag)
    Yeh they are! So you can also talk about saltatory conduction.

Also brown fat and subcutaneous fat in terms of thermoregulatory system.

The waxes on leaves are made up of a waxy lipid(makes them waterproof or sumthing?!)
    Cool, thanx Looontag. Oh yeah, I didn't think about temperature control. I'm doing Human Biology so I think I might steer clear of the plants though Thats just asking for trouble because I'd have no idea what I was talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animaluvva)
    Your plans are great!

Are myelin sheaths around neurones made of lipid? Basically anything thats fat is lipids right?
    i went on www.biologymad.com and they have a massive list of things i never even realised were lipids (bile salts, oestrogen/testosterone etc) !!
    yeah and apparently fatty acids by themselves are lipids as well, so they dont have to be joined 2 a glycerol molecule to be called a lipid; but most of them are tho :rolleyes:

For my plans i found a really helpful tip in my textbook - to make sure you include something from as many sections as possible there are 2 types of categories you can use as a template (depending on what type of question they ask).

so one way you can plan ur essay is by using these sections:

[1] Gas exchange and transport
    [2] nutrition
    [3] Homeostasis and excretion
    [4] Co-ordination and movement
    [5] Reproduction and growth

OR:

[1] cell biology
    [2] biochemistry
    [3] physiology
    [4] genes and genetics
    [5] ecology

im gonna learn both, its a good way of making sure you can get the 3 marks for breadth

ReputationRep:
    Well depending on this crappy exam and my performance in BYA7 (didnt have a clue!!) i'll prob not end up going either; Ive stuffed up nearly every exam ive done this week I just hope we get nice questions for this synoptic, I know its unlikely tho!
    What course would u be doin there then, is it your first choice?
    im not doin human bio but i messed up my unit 6 so i guess we're in the same situation. yep cardiff is my first choice and the course is dentistry. how about u? lipids notes were great 2 thanx

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.