Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My son is taking Higher Physics this year and he is the only one in the class that is not taking Higher Maths, he's taking Int2 Maths - long and sorry tale I'm afraid and not for this forum.

So, question is, if we arrange for Maths tuition, what level of Maths does he NEED, beyond Int2, to be able to cope with Higher Physics? Are there any Maths books out there that would be at the right level (i.e. not covering the whole of Higher Maths sylabus)?

Thanks in anticipation.

ReputationRep:
    Is this for GCSE? I've got my Higher Physics tomorrow and I do Intermediate Maths too, I wouldn't worry about it they teach you how to do it all in the class anyway, all you really need to learn is a list of equations and just apply numbers to them, nothing too much beyond Intermediate.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is about the Scottish qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah higher and higher, that's a bit confusing...

ReputationRep:
    I sat Higher Physics this year.

The maths that we used was probably around Int2 level. I can't think of anything in the course that requires any special knowledge or techniques from the higher maths course. The equations used don't really require anything more than basic algebra and a little bit of trigonometry.

ReputationRep:
    A basic level of numeracy is needed to be used and applied. For example conversions into S.I (1000g into 1kg, or, 92.2MHz into 92,200,000Hz). Also, a confident knowledge of Standard Form wouldn't hurt as this may be vital for the solving of problems. I was in top set for maths (entered for Higher) but appealed for a "Move-down" and to sit the intermediate tier papers... I obviously chose to do this as I was not comfortable with my level of mathematic capacity... So in my opinion higher maths knowledge is not obligatory for Higher physics.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all of the above.

I had a trawl through some past papers and came to the conclusion that there was nothing too demanding as well. I didn't, for example, see anything that required any Calculus or statistical work.

We've also had a chat with a Maths tutor who has had recent experience of helping a couple of pupils at the same school pass their Physics Higher because of the same Int2 Maths issue.

And, yes, it is the Scottish system (Standard Grade, Higher and Higher Still).

Once again, thanks to all who replied.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.