Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petewhufc)
    Please can someone tell me how much the unit 6 (edexcel synoptic paper) is worth relative to the whole A-level marks.
    Also what unit does the W2/coursework paper contribute to?

Thanks
    I think its only about 8% (although that seems really little having said that) and the coursework is worth the same - both adding up to around 16% of the entire A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    I think its only about 8% (although that seems really little having said that) and the coursework is worth the same - both adding up to around 16% of the entire A level.
    Excellent news, thanks very much for that, you've made me a very happy man. That really feels like the pressure is off now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petewhufc)
    Excellent news, thanks very much for that, you've made me a very happy man. That really feels like the pressure is off now!
    Hehe glad to hear that. I really hate this synoptic. If it was worth any more than it is I doubt I would have a hope of getting the grade I need.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else get an awful mark in the coursework, which will bring their Unit 6 mark down? No? Just me then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohlstream)
    Anyone else get an awful mark in the coursework, which will bring their Unit 6 mark down? No? Just me then!
    My coursework is shocking. My teacher was oh so assuring when she said 'don't worry, they are all at least an E' :mad:

ReputationRep:
    My coursework is shocking. My teacher was oh so assuring when she said 'don't worry, they are all at least an E' :mad:
    my teacher stabbed a soil compaction probe through mine during the field course

ReputationRep:
    my teacher stabbed a soil compaction probe through mine during the field course
    By accident I hope :eek:

ReputationRep:
    By accident I hope :eek:
    he did it as a joke!
    it was quite funny though!

ReputationRep:
    he did it as a joke!
    it was quite funny though!
    As long as it wasn't your neat copy lol!
    I *hated* that coursework because I had to count and indentify over 1000 plants! And after all that I'll probably end up with 40% :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As long as it wasn't your neat copy lol!
    I *hated* that coursework because I had to count and indentify over 1000 plants! And after all that I'll probably end up with 40% :rolleyes:
    oh the memories, and i kept getting cut on the long grass :mad:

Has anyone not revised AS in detail?

ReputationRep:
    is that it...i think i did really good in unit 1 and 2 retakes...unit 4 and 5 were a bit iffy cos of dodgy questions... i hope the synoptic paper has an essay question of a previous paper.. its easy to score highly in the essays...just put in everythin u know about what they're askin and guess some stuff u dont know... they cant take away marks if u write ******** lol

ReputationRep:
    jan 05 essay questions were:

3. Structure and roles of lipids in living organisms
    4B. Synthesis and transport of organic solutes in flowering plants

(human)
    3. Structure and roles of lipids in living organisms
    5H. Negative feedback and the regulation of body temperature in humans.

All 15 marks each

ReputationRep:
    I think my coursework will be my saving grace in whether I can obtain a B. If I can score even just half the marks in the synoptic paper I think that will be good! But then it was not as complicated as alot of yours are, infact rather common. Ivy leaves.

So how is everyone preparing for unit 6? I think tommorow I will just revise and read through all of the units from 1-5 and hope that will get me through. Does anyone have a better technique or perhaps any useful notes they could share?

ReputationRep:
    I might just forget the coherance marks and go for the scientific content marks, thats the bulk at 13/17
    are the other 2 for your grammer etc? if they are il go for them too
    13 for sci content
    2 for balance
    2 for coherence

For the balance marks you need to include things about plants AND animals AND microbes if you can (obviously not if your a human bio though) and include things from every relevent unit

Coherence is
    "material logically presented with little or no repetition, essay has coherence, ideas are developed well; continuous prose through out. Essay has an intoruction and a conclusion summing up th emain points. Technical terms have been used correctly. SPAG are sound"

its easy to score highly in the essays...just put in everythin u know about what they're askin and guess some stuff u dont know... they cant take away marks if u write ******** lol
    Ummm hate to break it to you... but i have the essay marking guidelines right here and if you include irrelevant information you'll lose marks in scientific content AND in balance

ReputationRep:
    http://www.chadevans.co.uk/abase.htm

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have a teacher who refuses to tell them what they got on the coursework?! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Well your teacher can't... at A2 they only mark the first 3 sections - the exam board marks everything else
    So the best they could give you would be a rough idea

ReputationRep:
    I know what i got for planning and that was 2 Grrr

and implementating a 2 - which really annoyed me because she wasnt there when i done my experiment because there was a leak next door which she was sorting out so i was a little annoyed because i tried real hard Grrrr

Does mean ive already got 4 outta 32, and im aiming for at least 22 lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Well your teacher can't... at A2 they only mark the first 3 sections - the exam board marks everything else
    So the best they could give you would be a rough idea
    I didn't get told what I got on my AS one, I still don't know to this day! Stupid school.

Oh, has anyone got any info.links on hormones and their secretion etc, because I think it might come up tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    my silly school won't tell us what we got in our courseworks either!!
    is the synoptic paper worth 50% of unit 6 and the cwk another 50%??

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.