Turn on thread page Beta

Smashing Pumpkins are to reform!!!!!!!!!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    There is a God it was been annouced that the pumpkins are to reform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Pitchfork, eh?

Corgan Plans to Revive Pumpkins

Billy Corgan has made it clear, particularly during the hype surrounding his solo debut, The Future Embrace, that the band he's famous for had smashed their last pumpkin. But what supposedly died on stage at Chicago's Metro on December 2, 2000 may not be lost forever.

Placing a full-page ad in today's Chicago Tribune, Corgan has announced that he wants to kiss and make up with the other three former members of alt-rock juggernaut the Smashing Pumpkins. He says, "For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive the Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams."

There is no further word on whether this is a true reunion or simply Corgan reclaiming the band's name. One would hope he spoke to his bandmates before announcing this decision to the world. Also unclear is what this reincarnation of the Smashing Pumpkins will achieve, be it a comeback tour or a new album. It raises the question of whether the band will become the name of Billy Corgan's future projects, or if the original members will all participate. He insists that his new album "pick up the thread of the as-yet-unfinishsed work and charter of the Smashing Pumpkins."

Formed in Chicago in 1988, the quartet released a string of highly successful albums including Gish, Siamese Dream, and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. During their messy 12-year existence, the Smashing Pumpkins saw the break-up of guitarist James Iha and bassist D'Arcy Wretzky, Corgan's nervous breakdown around the time of Siamese Dream, the death of touring keyboardist Jonathan Melvoin from a drug overdose, the firing of drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, the exit of Wretzky after Machina, and the entry of former Hole bassist Melissa auf der Maur, before disbanding in 2000.

Since breaking up, Iha has gone on to perform with A Perfect Circle, Chamberlin formed the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex, and Corgan created the short-lived Zwan, which released their only album, Mary, Star of the Sea in 2003. Corgan has also written a book of poetry, Blinking With Fists, and The Future Embrace hits stores today.

--

Could be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Whoooo!!
    tour, tour, tour,

Brilliant news

*digs oout Mellon Collie and smiles alot*

story here btw
    http://www.nme.com/news/112761.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    Whoooo!!
    tour, tour, tour,

Brilliant news

*digs oout Mellon Collie and smiles alot*

story here btw
    http://www.nme.com/news/112761.htm
    It's weird... I listened to Mellon Collie for the first time in ages today before I'd even heard about this :eek:

ReputationRep:
    do u think d'arcy and james will want to reform, i mean they never talk anymore. Jimmy will definitely. Either way, the pumpkins was jimmy and billy, but i would love the original pumpkins to reform.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please let it be so! The Pumpkins are my favourite band, ever.... *cries for it to happen*

ReputationRep:
    i am quite sure the pumpkins will reform, definitely Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin anyway. Not too sure about James Iha or D'arcy, not i hope so. The Pumpkins were Billy and Jimmy anyway, although I loved the original band.

What is your favourite Pumpkins Album?
    Whats your favourite pumpkins single?
    Whats ur favourite pum pkins song (non-single)?
    Who is ur favourite member?
    What is ur favourite pumpkins video?

ReputationRep:
    1)Adore
    2) umm.. was perfect a single?
    3)At the moment rottern apples or once in a while (not released officially)
    4) billy or James Iha
    5) Try try try, especially the short film on the dvd called try.

Are they really reforming?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdre86)
    1)Adore
    2) umm.. was perfect a single?
    3)At the moment rottern apples or once in a while (not released officially)
    4) billy or James Iha
    5) Try try try, especially the short film on the dvd called try.

Are they really reforming?
    Yeah they are!!!!!! Billy made an announcement in the Chicago Tribune about it, heres a link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...6/18118271.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Great news.

ReputationRep:
    What? I went to see them on their Farewell tour for nothing? I was going to tell my grandchildren about the concert... this spoils everything :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    What? I went to see them on their Farewell tour for nothing? I was going to tell my grandchildren about the concert... this spoils everything :mad:
    so ur not happy about the news????

ReputationRep:
    OMG!!!!!! Corgan was just on mtv news. It was saying how pumpkins were to reform and how it conicided with his solo album. Corgan said the pumpkins or the band that will take its place will, "not be what people think."

ReputationRep:
    Excellent news to be honest.

Smashing Pumpkins are definitely one of my all time favourite bands - the diversity they showed and the talent they have are simply amazing.

I'm dubious about this reform in some ways though - Jimmy and Billy will definitely be up for this - Jimmy was the drummer in Zwan also. As for Iha...he plays for "A Perfect Circle" (another relish of mine) and maybe he wouldn't be interested in a reform because of bad experiences. D'arcy is even less likely in my opinion...However if the original line up WERE to reform - It would certainly be interesting.

As for those questions:

1) Siamese Dream or Adore
    2) Very hard to call this one...I'll just list a few faves - Perfect, 1979, Today, Disarm, Ava Adore, Siva...I could go on...
    3) Again too many to name in my opinion - Shame, To Forgive, Drown, Cupid De Locke...
    4) Billy Corgan
    5) 1979 or Today

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic!

I got into the Pumpkins via Rotten Apples after they had split up so a bit late! lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah7)
    Fantastic!

I got into the Pumpkins via Rotten Apples after they had split up so a bit late! lol.
    youre not too late now.

ReputationRep:
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    THANK YOU!"!IHIP"!JPJ!OPRJOP"T W00t

What is your favourite Pumpkins Album? Siamese Dream
    Whats your favourite pumpkins single? Cherub Rock
    Whats ur favourite pum pkins song (non-single)? Starla
    Who is ur favourite member? James
    What is ur favourite pumpkins video? Today

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWWOOWOWOWOWOWOW OWOWOWOWOWO
    FOLLOWED BY WOWOWOWOOW made my year.

ReputationRep:
    That would be the coolest thang if they did.

1/ Siamese dream
    2/That's a hard question. either, tonight, tonight, thirty three, rocket, disarm or try,try,try (all equal love)
    3/ I of the mourning, mayonaise, age of innocence or sweet sweet
    4/ Billy
    5/ Tonight, tonight

ReputationRep:
    HELLLLL YEAHHH! My favourite band ever ever ever! (as you can tell by the name!)
    Anyone heard Billys solo recored the future embrace yet? I think that it is great sounds alot like the Adore / Machina stuff - but definatley a huge change from ZWAN - much more synth based.

In terms of the questions:-

What is your favourite Pumpkins Album? Love them all equally
    Whats your favourite pumpkins single? Ava Adore, 1979, Siva and TAFH boxset
    Whats ur favourite pumpkins song (non-single)? Thru the Eyes of Ruby.. I like every single song they released apart from some of the 20 minute solo kind of stuff they did before Gish - thats crazy!
    Who is ur favourite member? Got to be D'arcy (shes hot and a great bass player or Billy (he's hot too - with his chrome dome and all :p: )
    What is ur favourite pumpkins video? Try, Try, Try, Tonight, Rocket.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.