Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Poll to follow

When I started A2 I hated him! But since studying the context of the Songs and reading a couple of biographies I admit that I have grown rather fond of him - if not his Songs.

So will you be tearing up, burning and throwing away your copy of the Songs or keeping it?

ReputationRep:
    Giving it back to the school TBH.

ReputationRep:
    Heard of him, I've never read anything by him though... don't plan to, I've given up reading now all my English exams are over .

ReputationRep:
    cant stand him.. just bores me.. and i love literature just not this guy.

do like clod and peble though. only one i do like.

ReputationRep:
    he's not bad. but i'd never destroy a book. unless of course it's hard times. that gave some memoral games of football. or footbook. a unique version of the nike freestyler advert took place in my room.

ReputationRep:
    We were told yesterday just before our exams that if we don't bring the books back the school will fine us £14 - we were like charming, no good luck then! I've got to give mine back, but I've got this book by Nicholas Marsh which is like a funky revision guide with all the poems in. I'm going to uni to do english but i never read poetry, dumb isnt it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpressedMass)
    Poll to follow

When I started A2 I hated him! But since studying the context of the Songs and reading a couple of biographies I admit that I have grown rather fond of him - if not his Songs.

So will you be tearing up, burning and throwing away your copy of the Songs or keeping it?
    Yeah same here! I'll be keeping my copy, I bought the one with all the nice colour plates in because I didn't like the crappy cheap college one :p:

ReputationRep:
    I only got photocopied pages of the songs, so I'll be destroying them, in an enviromentally friendly way of course, mabey I'll buy a proper copy later...

ReputationRep:
    I did it in January and I really really hated it - but I'm not a big fan of poetry so it may have not been Blake himself. Some of his ideas were interesting, but anaysing a poem to death is just depressing so... DESTROY!
    Actually, not literally coz i had to hand it back in but I would if I could!

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting studying him in A2 lessons now, I've always liked his stuff but in all honesty I would rather have studied Keats - but that's just cos I :love: Keats.....

ReputationRep:
    Poll to follow

I love him for the Prophecies. Beautifully obscure ... now what was it Wilde said about obscurity?

'Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anycon)
    I love him for the Prophecies. Beautifully obscure ... now what was it Wilde said about obscurity?

'Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure.'

"Obscurity masks the arrogant's ignorance."

ReputationRep:
    "Obscurity masks the arrogant's ignorance."
    Having said that, in Blake's case it's more indecision.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely keeping my copy of Songs of Innocence and Experience, along with its heavy annotations! You can hardly see the white of the paper on some pages because I've written so much, I'm not just going to throw all that away! Besides, I like Blake... he was an interesting character, and although I really don't like some of his poems (such as Infant Joy!), some of them are great!

ReputationRep:
    Definately a brilliant poet. Although, the Rose does annoy me somewhat. That's probably due to the over analysis I've done on the poem over the years, more than the poem itself. :rolleyes: However, out of the Romantics, I feel Keats was more talented.

ReputationRep:
    Having said that, in Blake's case it's more indecision.
    How was Blake indecisive?

ReputationRep:
    I liked the songs, got a copy for christmas and then we started studying them in february, so I'd read most of them before we started and really liked them. Then again, my friends who only read them when we were studying them hated them. Think its like that with books you have to read rather than want to read :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    I'm starting studying him in A2 lessons now, I've always liked his stuff but in all honesty I would rather have studied Keats - but that's just cos I :love: Keats.....
    You won't be disappointed with Blake! I thought the "Songs of Innocence and of Experience" were wonderful and I know I'll go and read his work more widely over the holidays. There's a wonderful beat to them - I walk a lot and (this is really sad and a bit strange too) certain poems will come in to my head if I walk at a certain pace. Oh dear. Perhaps it's just indoctrination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenni_Kitten)
    How was Blake indecisive?
    He wasn't the guy's a foo.

ReputationRep:
    similar to what Eeyore said, some poems like Infant Joy and the Nurse's Song and The Lamb, i'm really not keen on although i know there are allegorical layers which are really quite interesting! i like To Tirzah very much and The Clod and the Pebble and The Garden of Love. at first i found Blake rather tiresome but there are definitely some very cool things about his philosophy ie about natural religion and the morally repressive nature of it. An interesting study :-)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 24, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.