Turn on thread page Beta

is being teetotal a good life decision? watch

ReputationRep:
    Because I can bet everyone who posts drinks in moderation, huh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kard)
    Because I can bet everyone who posts drinks in moderation, huh...
    Well that isn't what you were saying - you were saying it was hypocritical to condone drinking while condemning smoking cigarettes and cannabis. But I see your point - massive binge drinking is probably just as unhealthy as smoking.

Romario, it's totally your choice. Two of my friends don't drink and they are always the life and soul of the party. You don't have to actually label yourself 'teetotal' though - then you're putting yourself under pressure to stick to it. If I were you I'd just take it as it comes. If you don't want to drink, don't. If you fancy a glass of champagne at New Year, go for it. You don't necessarily have to make a 'life decision' about it.

ReputationRep:
    Drinking in moderation does no harm at all. That's a fact. There is nothing wrong with being teetotal, as long as it's for the right reasons, not just so you can tell everyone else how much better you are than them because of it.

Slightly off topic but someone did mention smoking as a comparison - my father has smoked for his whole life. If we are on holiday or have gone away for the weekend he'd smoke about 4 or 5 a day, normally he only smokes at weekends when he's in the pub or sometimes in the evenings. and mostly cigars rather than cigarettes. When he recently went for an operation they did a few tests and x rays and stuff, and the doctor said "ah, I can see that you've never been a smoker." So, is smoking, like everything else, ok in moderation?

ReputationRep:
    i drink around once a week or once evrey 2 weeks, but make sure not to let it get out of control. both my parents are alcholics and its sad to see the way it affects people. i think alot of people just think that drinking=good time. and of course sometimes its great to get pissed.but people just get taken in by it, specially at uni and they believe that this is "the norm" so they just go along with it.

to the person who posted this thread, without wanting to sound rude, im sure u just wanted opinions. but surely ur old enough now to make ur own choices without having to gain approval from other people. ur life is what u make it, not other people. and of course, theres a thousand and one other ways to enjoy life without booze. booze is of course a nice distraction from reality and i could easily say that its a terrible thing because of how my parents, but that would be too easy.

basically alot of people end up drinking too much because they get in the habit, or are bored and havent found their true passions in life. find these and ull find urself not even needing to think about alcohol

ReputationRep:
    It's quite funny really . . . all my friends say alcohol makes me sober. Apparently I behave like I'm slightly drunk all the time! I never noticed! :laugh:

People obviously really do respond to the effects of alcohol in different ways. It seems that someone who "behaves like they're slightly drunk all the time" will respond differently to someone who's very reserved. Quite interesting when you come to think about it.

My best advice is to do what feels right for you. If you are a naturally reserved person - fine. No one's going to pass comment if you do drink or not. It's ultimately a decision that you will make - not an internet chatroom (no offence TSR!!).

Michael

ReputationRep:
    I think if you have the willpower to be tee-total then go for it

In the long term it's probably far better for your health!!

ReputationRep:
    That's like me! I always behave slightly drunk anayway, I'm a naturally bubbly person. I rarely drink at all, but it doesn't affect me socially and I don't feel akward when everyone around me is drunk, nobody seems to notice, as although I may not have drunk anything, I can easily fit in, I guess you can say I get drunk on people! Still have a great time!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been drunk in about 4 years.

Initially I stopped partly for sport/fitness/health etc, and partly to save the money. I wasn't making any big gesture or planning to stop for ever, but I just never saw the need to drink again.

I'm perfectly capable of enjoying myself without having to get drunk first, I don't especially like the taste of any alcoholic drinks, I like to keep my body in as good a shape as possible, and I'd rather not spend the £80 a week I used to spend when I was going out drinking - that's most of my rent now.

I'm not a raving 'drink is evil' loony and there's nothing to stop me having the odd pint now and then, but J2O make so many interesting flavours that are more appealing

I think it makes quite a profound statement about someone if they need to get hammered to have a good time, or if they're older than 16 and still think getting drunk is 'cool'.

ReputationRep:
    make the decision based on experiance. If it doesn't suite you or if you just plain dont like drinking then dont. But if you dont drink and never have done over a period of time, you could be missing out a hell of alot.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

(Original post by Zurich)

Initially I stopped partly for sport/fitness/health etc, and partly to save the money. I wasn't making any big gesture or planning to stop for ever, but I just never saw the need to drink again.

I'm perfectly capable of enjoying myself without having to get drunk first, I don't especially like the taste of any alcoholic drinks, I like to keep my body in as good a shape as possible, and I'd rather not spend the £80 a week I used to spend when I was going out drinking - that's most of my rent now.

I'm not a raving 'drink is evil' loony and there's nothing to stop me having the odd pint now and then, but J2O make so many interesting flavours that are more appealing

I think it makes quite a profound statement about someone if they need to get hammered to have a good time, or if they're older than 16 and still think getting drunk is 'cool'.

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink for a number of reasons...
    - I don't like the taste of any alcoholic drinks I've tried
    - I don't like the idea of being out of control and then waking up the next morning with a hangover
    - I don't think one needs to get "hammered" in order to have a good time, and I don't really want to be part of the stereotype of going on a pub crawl and getting drunk for the sake of it - no offence to anyone, it's just not my cup of tea.
    EDIT: Also, I think there are better ways to spend my money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zurich)

Amen to that!

ReputationRep:
    I'm drinking less and less these days and often go 2-3 weeks without drinking anything, I don't really know why, I just find the whole drinking thing a bit boring at the moment, and I really don't need alcohol to have a laugh and do crazy things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romario)
    what u think? i dont see the need for that drug called alcohol to have fun. in the end the harm out weighs the benefit.
    Some people think that you can only have a good time at a party if your drinking alcohol but its not true! Its quite fun not drinking at a party once in a while because you get to see everyone else making fools of themselves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meeesch)
    Its quite fun not drinking at a party once in a while because you get to see everyone else making fools of themselves!
    Some people are perfectly capable of making a fool of themselves without drinking

ReputationRep:
    obviously, its totally up to you, but I think drink, in moderation, is a good thing. It relaxes you, its a good way to chat to friends, and make new ones. Thats why I like nice quick pubs rather than in yer face clubs. Much more civilised

ReputationRep:
    for me i just have more fun when im drunk i act like n eeduit some times but i mean, its not that u dont have fun when ur tee total, but i think its just more reserved fun

ReputationRep:
    It's all about moderation. If you think you can't control yourself when you start drinking, then yes, deciding to be teetotal is a good life decision. However, if you like alcoholic drinks, and like the effect they have on you (within sensible limits) then there's no harm in it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely agree with the people who've said you can have fun at parties etc on no alcohol, though it may depend on what kind of person you are. My friends think I'm a complete lightweight (despite not being lightweight at all lol!) because I can get 'drunk' on very little alcohol or even none - they can (and will) recite numerous incidents where I was acting completely hammered and being very amusing on orange juice! (and no, it def. wasn't spiked...). Basically i think I'm just quite good at adapting to the mood of the party and getting relaxed, so when other people start getting tipsy I match them without neding to have actually drunk anything. When I do drink alcohol I don't get the happy/tipsy effect at all, I just get a headache and feel drowsy and strange very quickly, so I've given up trying to drink - as I just said, I don't really need it anyway to get drunk! Plus it's cheaper...
    Basically (to get to the point) I think you can have plenty of fun being teetotal if you're good at relaxing and losing some of your inhibitions naturally (if that makes any sense.) But then, as I've just said, I don't actually get properly drunk on alcohol, so I think it's differetn for different people. Try a party with some and without some, see the difference!
    Sorry for rambling btw, hope I've made a point somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    NO!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.