The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Eeyore
I don't drink for a number of reasons...
- I don't like the taste of any alcoholic drinks I've tried
- I don't like the idea of being out of control and then waking up the next morning with a hangover
- I don't think one needs to get "hammered" in order to have a good time, and I don't really want to be part of the stereotype of going on a pub crawl and getting drunk for the sake of it - no offence to anyone, it's just not my cup of tea.
EDIT: Also, I think there are better ways to spend my money!

-there are zillions of alcoholic drinks- there must be some you love
-you are in control of how much you drink, and therefore how drunk you get, and therefore how in control of yourself you are. None of my friends have never been totally out of control, you know what's happening even if you kinda loose judgement and coordination sometimes.
-Of course one doesn't have to get hammered to have a good time, and I've never drunk at a pub in my life, yet been drunk zillions of times with friends and family. There's no stereotype attached to just drinking on occasions with friends, and it can be really fun too.
-well my parents pay, so money isn't an issue really for me

Tbh i think those reasons don't hold much ground if you had more experience trying drinks, realising you have control and were brought up in a sit^n without that stereotype.

The best reason really has to be for health reasons. It's a good decision, but don't swear yourself to it, that's not healthy! I think it works best when people are happy and confident without the drink, therefore don't need it.
Loopz
-there are zillions of alcoholic drinks- there must be some you love

Well no actually, there aren't... else I would have said.

Loopz
-you are in control of how much you drink, and therefore how drunk you get, and therefore how in control of yourself you are. None of my friends have never been totally out of control, you know what's happening even if you kinda loose judgement and coordination sometimes.

Fair enough, but friends of mine are always going on about how they've done such embarrassing things under the influence of alcohol, even without getting completely drunk, and I don't really find that idea appealing. I don't have that much self-control when it comes to things like chocolate, so I know that even if I did actually like alcohol, I wouldn't have much self-control over that either. Thus avoiding it!

Loopz
-Of course one doesn't have to get hammered to have a good time, and I've never drunk at a pub in my life, yet been drunk zillions of times with friends and family. There's no stereotype attached to just drinking on occasions with friends, and it can be really fun too.

I'm not saying that there's a stereotype attached to drinking on occasions with friends, I'm saying that there's a stereotype about going out and getting drunk just for the sake of it - I've spoken to plenty of foreigners about this and they all associate that with the Brits. There are times when I do wish I liked alcohol, like at family gatherings when I can't drink champagne because I simply can't stand the taste, but overall I don't really feel I'm missing out on much, because I'm perfectly happy without it!

Loopz
-well my parents pay, so money isn't an issue really for me

Lucky you then! I don't even live with my parents anymore, and no way would they fund that kind of thing for me.

Loopz
Tbh i think those reasons don't hold much ground if you had more experience trying drinks, realising you have control and were brought up in a sit^n without that stereotype.

What exactly do you mean by "brought up in a sit^n"? I don't really care if my reasons "hold much ground" or not, the point is that those are the reasons I chose not to drink - not to mention that my liver is still nice and healthy and I'd like it to stay that way! - so it's a bit odd if other people have a problem with that, since it doesn't affect them in any way, shape or form.

Loopz
The best reason really has to be for health reasons. It's a good decision, but don't swear yourself to it, that's not healthy! I think it works best when people are happy and confident without the drink, therefore don't need it.

Well I must admit that I am that kind of person - happy and confident. I don't need drink to have a good time and my idea of a good time differs from that of a lot of people's anyway. If people don't like that, then that's their problem tbh! I'm not swearing myself to being teetotal and I'm perfectly willing to try things - as I have done in the past, which has led me to not drinking, at present at least.
Reply 42
I dont drink anymore. I used to drink a lot at home and when I went out and was well known for my ability to drink a lot! However I felt that it was getting a bit out of control so stoppped drinking ofr a month as part of a detox and I havent touched a drop since. dont regret my decision and feel a million times better and hav lots quite a bit of weight!
Reply 43
you can have fun without alcohol.

when it comes to alcohol, i choose cannabis above it. Its has less harm on your body than alcohol, you dont go completly out of it, and its just generally safer.

i dont know why alcohol is legal and cannabis isnt (well for adults anyway) it makes no sense to me.

(and dont start ranting on about cannabis having mental effects on people, that only applies for heavy smokers of it and for kids)
Reply 44
Ithink it's a very good decision. I used to be a heavy drinker in yr 12 and I was feeling the efects so I gave it all up.

I lost half a stone and feel so much better! I now have a drink, say once a week after work, and even then it's only one or two, bever enough to ger drunk. If you want to go teetotoal then do, it's that simple. It's better than getting plastered every single night and damaging yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending