Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If it's so unpopular what's the deal with their degree requirements.. sure it's hard, I love science.. i'm studying chemistry and biology, i'd love to consieder studying physics but i couldn't handle a-level mathematics.. which nearly everywhere applies.. i'm good at chemistry and definately a physical scientist.. i reckon i could handle a-level physics.. but maths is my downfall, it is a big part but surely it can't be intensely horrible.. any ideas?

i figured they'd be happy to take me if i'm dedicated, but i wont bother if the maths is really horrible, they would get pissed off with me struggling with the harder maths concepts

at GCSE level i was fine, but it is all the algebra and invisible maths i can't do, i'm actually quite spacially aware with graphs and circle theorems for example

ReputationRep:
    What are you asking? Can you get onto physics at university without A level maths? No.

ReputationRep:
    you can with AS maths to some uni's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    but there will still be loads of maths to learn at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    No, honestly, you can't.

ReputationRep:
    nowadays even A-level maths is not really adequate. Unis spend the first year of a physics degree teaching people the maths they feel the undergrads should already know!

If you are that horrible at maths, physics is an impossibility i'm afriad.

ReputationRep:
    Maths at uni tho for physical sciences is very different from a level maths it worth noting, the emphasis is very much on applying it

Still if you can't do a level maths to a reasonable degree I would go for something else.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I got neg repped for saying you can't do physics without maths?! Face it, my anonymous buddy, you do need maths!

ReputationRep:
    Just because a degree is unpopular doesn't mean they can just let anyone in! Physics degrees have to be accredited by the Institute of Physics or they are pretty worthless, so standards have to be maintained. Departments aren't going admit students who they know won't be able to cope with the course as they will fail and fails look very bad on the stats.

Also the person who neg-repped riccardo is a pillock, he is right!

Just do Chemistry, you can still go into physical research (like me!).

ReputationRep:
    i see, i suspected this.. i already knew about the state of affairs when it comes to maths degrees.. it starts right at infants schools not teaching enough maths and goes right up the spectrum.. each year calculus.. trigonometry etc are taken out of GCSE and put more pressure on a-level teachers and finally on degrees.

i wont bother with physics then, thanks for clearing it up.. perhaps i'll do something else other than pure physics, some of the philosophy of science degrees look quite interesting.. i'll consider them perhaps

ReputationRep:
    You say you are a physical scientist and are studying biology. If you like all of the sciences you should look at geology. It can be very numerate but you can avoid the maths, it's very broad and applies lots of pure science to explain stuff to do with the earth.

ReputationRep:
    Geophysics looks like an interesting subject also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Kangaroo)
    Geophysics looks like an interesting subject also.
    Yeah - I'm doing that at Imperial next year. I said geology though because geophysics involves some hard maths and requires A level. Geology is just a good grounding in all the sciences integrated with field trips/pub crawls in Wales. I thought he'd enjoy it too.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about Geophysics at Durham, but I just don't think it will satisfy my Physics need

My choice of Degree has been fluctuating so much over the past couple months, think I'll just stick with the basic MPhys Physics

ReputationRep:
    Thats why im doing A level maths instead of geog. Cause my options are open incase i want to go into geophysics or something. Besides, maths makes everything seem so easy, even if maths a very difficult course. I think its going to be very challenging, but very worthwhile!

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about Geophysics at Durham, but I just don't think it will satisfy my Physics need

My choice of Degree has been fluctuating so much over the past couple months, think I'll just stick with the basic MPhys Physics
    Durham's my insurance. At my interview the prof told me that with an A in A level maths I would be eligible for all of the physicists' maths units. Unfortunately if I get an A in maths I won't be going!

If you're curious about geophysics PM me. I've not started yet but I've been reading a geophysics text book as a preview type thing. If you're worried about the mathematical element or whether there is enough good physics in it do not worry! Seismology is crazy and gravity anomalies involve triple integrals etc. - there's some good **** there! My physics teacher did geophysics and told me it is "physics with enough geology to understand some words." If nothing else, you'll understand the geometry of a sphere (if that floats your boat?!) by the end.

edit: Some guy neg repped me again for saying you need maths! What's wrong with the world? Hear something you don't like so screw your face up and refute the truth? It gets you nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    You have to have maths to do physics, guy! doing physics without maths it like trying to do english without words.

Also, Durham is lovely, as is the geophys course, which a number of chums are just graduating from. But there is some middlingly tough maths in there (fourier transforms and the like), but it's nothing you can't handle.

ReputationRep:
    It would be the job prospects at the end that would put me off doing Geophysics.

Plus I don't need more career paths to add to my current ones. I know I would really enjoy doing Geophysics, as I would with many other courses. I just can't make up my mind!

ReputationRep:
    It would be the job prospects at the end that would put me off doing Geophysics.

Plus I don't need more career paths to add to my current ones. I know I would really enjoy doing Geophysics, as I would with many other courses. I just can't make up my mind!
    in which case try for nat sci. its harder to get onto but it is a far more flexible course. you can do basically anything you want.

ReputationRep:

Don't worry about job prospects post geophysics, the maths you will learn is solid and very marketable in finance. Don't forget how useful knowledge of the earth's magnetism, gravity, electricity and reflective properties are for finding minerals and oil. As an exploration geophysicist you start on 27K

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.