The Student Room Group

maths cw at gcse level mayfiel high school

I was recently off school for a considerable amount of time due to serious illness and i've come back to find the joy of maths coursework upon my desk. I dont have very lond to get it done and I pretty much have no clue what to do, as my teacher as much of an ass as he is will not explain it to me. So I was hoping that some1 on here could possibly either tell me what I must include in my coursework or just send or show me some kind of template of what I have to do. It would also be very helpful if some1 could explain the stem and leaf, histograms, scatter and various other relavent diagrams to me including bow and whisker plots. This would all be much appreciated.
Thank You
Jay

P.S if anyone does have any useful serious information please either add me to msn messenger at [email protected] or mail me to explain it to me. If not then please reply in the form of a post. Thanks.. :biggrin:
Reply 1
sorry I did mean box and whisker (typo)
Oh No!!

Is it a real coursework? Statistics coursework SUCKS!!! We just did a practice one and really couldn't be arsed!!

Stem and leaf are where you arrange the data by splitting it up into a "stem" and a leaf, its a bit like a graph but keeping the original data.

Like if you had the data 24,12,43,23,12,34,21,32,23

You could have 1,2,3,4 as the stems (the tens) and the units as the leaves.

Unordered stem and leaf:

2|4 means 24

1 | 22 (total=2)
2 | 4313 (4)
3 | 42 (2)
4 | 3 (1)

now you order it....

1 | 22 (2)
2 | 1334 (4)
3 | 24 (2)
4 | 3 (1)

and now you can see that there are 9 bits of data, so the median must be the 5th one so it is 23
histograms are like bar charts but the stuff on the x axis arent equal

like for a bar chart:

x= Frequency=
1 3
2 4
3 9

but a histogram is where the bars will need to be a different width:

x= Frequency
1-3 4
3-4 3
4-9 2

so on the x axis you have the label and the y axis is "frequency density" I think and you have to work it out so the frequency is the area of a box you draw:

so above where x is between 3 and 4, you need a box thats between 3 and 4 on the x axis and ((frequency=3) divided by (x range=2) = 1.5) on the y axis, so the area of the box is the frequency and the base length is the range that the x can be in your data

so you end up with a chart with lots of boxes

I write so much more than I mean to
for the coursework you have to try and prove or disprove a hypothesis they give you using statistics. you have to plan too, I think, say what you're going to do, do it, and then look at the analysis you did and say if it supports the hypothesis

or something
Reply 5
thefish_uk
for the coursework you have to try and prove or disprove a hypothesis they give you using statistics. you have to plan too, I think, say what you're going to do, do it, and then look at the analysis you did and say if it supports the hypothesis

or something

cheers thats a big help, i'm still a bit confused but it's a big help
Thanks a lot
Reply 6
just keep posting if u have any probs... gcse coursework is long and boring, but should be quite straightforward.
Reply 7
I was just wondering, a lot of people have chosen to do height and weight but that won't nessasarily get you a good grade will it, a friend mentioned to link it somehow between either yrs or sex's. How would i go about doing this????
Reply 8
well as mentioned above, u gotta have a hypothesis, saying for example that height or weight increases with age (or male height/weight > female height/weight). u then do ur statistics, draw lots of fancy plots, and prove this is the case. write sum fancy stuff up, and hey presto, GCSE coursework finished (maybe not THAT easy, but thats the rough idea). u might need to explain WHY u are using certain statistical methods ( box and whisker over scatter, or taking median instead of mean).
Reply 9
Ok fair enough sounds pretty easy when put like that i suppose, so it's just saying which methods i'm using and then justifications
Reply 10
kissmequick
I was recently off school for a considerable amount of time due to serious illness and i've come back to find the joy of maths coursework upon my desk. I dont have very lond to get it done and I pretty much have no clue what to do, as my teacher as much of an ass as he is will not explain it to me. So I was hoping that some1 on here could possibly either tell me what I must include in my coursework or just send or show me some kind of template of what I have to do. It would also be very helpful if some1 could explain the stem and leaf, histograms, scatter and various other relavent diagrams to me including bow and whisker plots. This would all be much appreciated.
Thank You
Jay

P.S if anyone does have any useful serious information please either add me to msn messenger at [email protected] or mail me to explain it to me. If not then please reply in the form of a post. Thanks.. :biggrin:

Well first of all I hope you're felling better. My friend had loads of time of due to a serious illness to, but she managed to catch up so I'm sure you'll be fine, it's just a bit of hard work. Stem and leaf is incredibly easy. I don't know how to explain on the internet, but I'll try.

For example 3/3 would indicate 33, 3/0 would indicate 30, but 3/ would indicate that there is no information on that leaf. I'll tell you more later, my teachers moaning at me to get of the internet.
Reply 11
kissmequick
Thank You
Jay

Baby blue comic 6 (B) :confused:

Latest