Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Train companies increasing fares at peak hours! Grrr

If people really want public transport to be used more then stop raising the prices!

I got on the bus the other day to see a sign "new fares in operation" (The 3rd time this year!) and train ticket prices have risen by about 15% in the last year.

What do you think is the sollution to congested public transport, do we really need to pay such high prices to hop on the train, or is there another answer?

ReputationRep:
    Reduce the tax on petrol for public transport vehicles, ensure the tracks are maintained properly, and reduce fares, I was shocked at the cost of a train ticket from manchester to London compared to that of a coach! I would have thought a coach used more petrol and held less people!

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK trains use a lot of petrol, or whatever it is those new-fangled machines use. But yeah, far too expensive.

The prob in London is that train fares are too expensive, and cost the same as the Congestion Charge. So what's meant to happen? Leave the city to the tourists?

ReputationRep:
    train prices are ridiclous.. bus prices are getting high. the child fare used to be 33p 4 years ago. now its 60.. doubled.

to get from liverpool to nottingham without my rail card costs 40.. ****ing stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    ...and held less people!
    fewer people.

Until London buses raised their prices, they (journey from anywhere to anywhere) used to be cheaper than a seven-minute ride (roughly a ten minute walk) up north in Sheffield.
    Public transport ought to be free. And, um, public, so owned by the state. They work better then...

ReputationRep:
    I do agree there, nationalisng Public transport would be better off, I mean it seems like all forms of taxes go to support the public transport network.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mosey)

The prob in London is that train fares are too expensive, and cost the same as the Congestion Charge. So what's meant to happen? Leave the city to the tourists?

Tube prices (esp in London) need to be fairly high. If the fares were very low then the system would grind to a halt with extreme and unsafe overcrowing. The price at present is sufficient for the tube to run at 'full' capacity and so for the price to drop would put a heavy strain on the network.

ReputationRep:
    reduce train prices and i'd be going home a lot more, and the trains would be used a lot more. problem is, less and less people use them, hence prices rise, and it's a vicious circle.

ReputationRep:
    I travel free in London and get reduced rates outside with a cripples' card, and they're quite expensive enough, but a friend reckons that it's actually cheaper to pay the fines when you do get stopped on most local train services and not to beother with the fares at all.

ReputationRep:
    It is, I don't remember the last time I was stopped. So say it happens twice a year (it will be that low if you travel at peak times as noone checks tickets then). How much is the fine right now? £20?

ReputationRep:
    The labour governemnt are so stupid. Yeh lets save the environment! Ok so we all decide to get on the train, oh- its so bloody expensive, i'll go in my car! If they want us to save the environment i think that we should have a massive transport network not operated by companies. Companies can also bullsh*t and say their costs are going up to justify cost increases and this is silly.

ps for 2 people to go from rainham, kent to oxford before 9am (return) it was £98

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.