Turn on thread page Beta

Can you teach yourself an A-Level or AS-Level? watch

ReputationRep:
    What I mean by this is, without enrolling at a college or distance learning centre. Can you just download the specification, get books and enter yourself for the exams at a local centre??

ReputationRep:
    i would say no but i dont know

but how would you do well i ean u dont have a teacher to explain stuff a book can only help so uch but it depends on what type person you are

i have done a distnce learning course and that was hard to do becuase you only see the teacher over a webcam and headfones and its only once a week so doing it without a teacher i would say for me would be slightly difficult

sophie

ReputationRep:
    I don't know for certain, but I don't see why not. You can do it for GCSEs, so why not A/AS Levels?

(Original post by justchar)
    What I mean by this is, without enrolling at a college or distance learning centre. Can you just download the specification, get books and enter yourself for the exams at a local centre??

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the course, really. For example, (may not be Alevel but oh well) there's the Open University courses you can do. Very good success rates apparently.

I think if you know what you have to do and have the determination, you really can do it; however, you can't rely on yourself to mark your work.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, loads of people do it. It's not *common* as such but a lot of people do succeed at it. Some subjects will be easier than others, and you will almost definitely need to be in contact with somebody who really is in the know about the subject and knows about the exams you'll have to take.

ReputationRep:
    There are certain subjects that are not available to private candidates (mainly just the ones with coursework I think) - It will say in the first couple of pages of the spec if this is the case

ReputationRep:
    you can if you are really devoted to your studies and pass your examswith flying colours!!

ReputationRep:
    would you be able to build your own laboratory and provide yourself chemicals for a chemistry practical investigation, for example? Ever thought about marking and grading your own coursework and hand it in to the exam board through post?, etc etc.
    I dont know really.........as what have others have said, its all up to the person. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I took AS ICT at some night classes in a local college then continued it by myself to A2 as they discontinued the course. However, I enrolled into the school exam and the ICT teacher at school gave me a booklet of notes and marked my coursework. You could try either one of those options..but unless you're brilliant at multi-tasking, I wouldn't recommend it! For me, I believe it hindered me because I had way too much work to do and it just wasn't worth it! Make the decision that is right for you though!

ReputationRep:
    I've done a NEC course in AS philosophy this year. It's mainly self taught but the major advantage is that there's someone there to mark assignments and let you know you're on the right track. Without that I think it would be very difficult. If you're wanting to teach yourself a subject I'd advise at least enlisting a teacher to mark your work regularly...or your school might pay to enroll you with the NEC (mine did!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justchar)
    Yes you can do this. Make sure your examinations officer know this. If the course has coursework, obviously you have to give it to the teacher to mark. If you are doing a whole A-level, I would recommend having the AS units done in January and the other units for the second half of the A-level in June. If you are doing AS, I would do 1 or 2 units in january and 1 in june or 1 unit in January and 2 units in June.

By the way, what course are you planning to do?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing the whole statistics Alevel (without the coursework option) and I think I'm managing better than when I had teachers (for other a levels ) :p:

ReputationRep:
    You can, but to be honest i wouldn't recommend it. I did open-learning english and although the materials were provided it was so difficult being the only one i knew with the same texts and papers, it was hard not to be able to discuss ideas with other students and the tutor only had allocated about 15 hours one-to-one tuition for me.

I scraped a D for as, which i have raised to a B in re-takes and i have yet to finish the A2 exams. All i can say is the more time spent with my tutor the better, which says something about the benefits of classroom lessons and teaching.
    Good Luck if you are considering it.

ReputationRep:
    My friends taught himself history A Level and hes got A's in all his module exams so far. Im more or less teaching myself chemistry lol

ReputationRep:
    I have had useless teachers and taught mysdelf one of my AS's.

Just get hold of a hard copy of the syllabus, tonnes of past papers, mark schemes and Examiner's reports.

ReputationRep:
    I think certain subjects like ICT where its basicaly learnin the facts, u cud do that...but stuff like english literature u need group discussions, teacher input & ppl 2 mark ur essays so it wud b difficult 2 teach urself that...

ReputationRep:
    i re-taught myself the whole AS biology syllabus whilst also learning AS. i got a U-grade last year when i had a teacher. when i retaught myself, i got As and Bs in the january exams... so yeh. i think it's possible with more academic subjects like sciences.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I'm currently 83.33% of the way through teaching myself Further Maths A Level!

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    I almost entirely taught myself AS and A2 Business and my school just entered me to it...

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be difficult enough to do a course by distance learning, let alone not having any help at all! If you really enjoy the subject and are willing to work hard with no-one telling you to, give it a go, but you'd have to think about the practicalities of it, ie if there's coursework, who would mark it?

Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.