Turn on thread page Beta

Can you teach yourself an A-Level or AS-Level? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I think it would be difficult enough to do a course by distance learning, let alone not having any help at all! If you really enjoy the subject and are willing to work hard with no-one telling you to, give it a go, but you'd have to think about the practicalities of it, ie if there's coursework, who would mark it?
    You just do not coursework... or the examining board marks it... there is always an alternative-to-coursework paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)
    You just do not coursework... or the examining board marks it... there is always an alternative-to-coursework paper!
    I didn't know that the examing board can mark coursework, thought they only moderate them. Some subjects do not have a module exam to substitute the coursework module though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I didn't know that the examing board can mark coursework, thought they only moderate them. Some subjects do not have a module exam to substitute the coursework module though.
    Well it varies between exam boards. Edexcel have said they will mark coursework if you can't find a centre to do it. AQA seem to say they just won't accept private candidates for some coursework exams though...
    There doesn't seem to be any firm rules, just varies between syllabus and exam board. Best thing to do is real all the syllabi for the subject you want to do, and obtain teh "information for private candidates" which each board has.

ReputationRep:
    so if i wanted to teach myself A level psychology and be entered for the exams etc to save time, what would i have to do? obviously i would have to go along for some lessons?

(Original post by Mishael)
    I've done a NEC course in AS philosophy this year. It's mainly self taught but the major advantage is that there's someone there to mark assignments and let you know you're on the right track. Without that I think it would be very difficult. If you're wanting to teach yourself a subject I'd advise at least enlisting a teacher to mark your work regularly...or your school might pay to enroll you with the NEC (mine did!)
    thats cool, ive looked on the nec site and they do psychology.. i wanna do the full A level but my parents dont work so would the college pay for me to do it? im at college for another year anyway but this is the best way to free up my timetable :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    so if i wanted to teach myself A level psychology and be entered for the exams etc to save time, what would i have to do? obviously i would have to go along for some lessons?

thats cool, ive looked on the nec site and they do psychology.. i wanna do the full A level but my parents dont work so would the college pay for me to do it? im at college for another year anyway but this is the best way to free up my timetable :s:
    If you want to teah yourself A-levlel Psychology, you would need to talk to the psychology teacher to see if she lets you do it by yourself. He/she will then enter you for the exams. I'm not sure if you need to go to lessons though, you can ask about that.

I did A-level computing by myself as the school doesn't offer it. The teacher was happy for me to teach myself and mark the coursework.

ReputationRep:

My school paid for me, but they have an active policy of encouraging extra-curricular learning. Go and talk to them about it, be persuasive...they'll be getting the credit for your grades so it's only fair that they pay for it.

Whether you go through the NEC or start teaching yourself I'd recommend starting as soon as possible - as soon as you go back in September if not before. I didn't start my course until October because it took a while for the school to organise it for me, and it was bloody hard catching up!

ReputationRep:
    According to your profile, you are going to new college. :p: I checked it up on the website, and he psychology course is following the AQA exam board. However, I'm not sure if it's spec A or B htough, but I posted both anyway. I would read the spec so you will be familiar with the course. http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...81-W-SP-06.pdf (spec A), http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...86-W-SP-06.pdf (spec B).

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the info

Whether you go through the NEC or start teaching yourself I'd recommend starting as soon as possible
    im gonna start now, already ordered a couple of revision books off amazon and have saved some past papers from the aqa website..
    is there anything else i can do for now?
    maybe someone on here who has done psychology could scan in some class handouts and such?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the info

im gonna start now, already ordered a couple of revision books off amazon and have saved some past papers from the aqa website..
    is there anything else i can do for now?
    maybe someone on here who has done psychology could scan in some class handouts and such?
    You're welcome.

Besides having past papers and revision books, I would save some mark schemes and examiners reports from the AQA website, so you could check your answers and see the common mistakes the student's make on the exam in the examiners report.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    You're welcome.

Besides having past papers and revision books, I would save some mark schemes and examiners reports from the AQA website, so you could check your answers and see the common mistakes the student's make on the exam in the examiners report.
    yep downloaded the mark schemes to go with each paper but ive only printed off the actual question papers as the mark schemes would be a lot of printing

ReputationRep:
    yep downloaded the mark schemes to go with each paper but ive only printed off the actual question papers as the mark schemes would be a lot of printing
    Yeah, the mark schemes have a lot of paper. You don't have to print them out, as you could see them on the screen. When you are marking it, you can just open up the website for it and correct it.

ReputationRep:
    yes, its very easy; get a text book, copy of the syllabus, and a good revision guide maybe, and a couple of past papers; learn the book, do the papers, and wolah - self taught A-level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    yes, its very easy; get a text book, copy of the syllabus, and a good revision guide maybe, and a couple of past papers; learn the book, do the papers, and wolah - self taught A-level
    :rolleyes:
    You again.

To the thread starter: I taught myself maths AS - and it wasn't too bad

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the whole latin AS + A2 course through correspondence, and it really is EXCEEDINGLY hard (scraped a D at AS, have no idea how well I've done for A2s, last one on wednesday), especially with the literature with no group discussion and limited talk time with the teacher...well, it's my own fault for taking such an unpopular subject

ReputationRep:
    Yeh deffo! I practically taught myself a chem module
    Go for it. Though it does depend if you can be bothered

ReputationRep:
    so how would i approach my personal tutor with this? rather than "ive read online it can be done!!" heh :s:

anything i can print off and show him :confused:

ReputationRep:
    so how would i approach my personal tutor with this? rather than "ive read online it can be done!!" heh :s:
    Say that you are interested in doing some self teaching in psychology, as it will be helpful when I'm in university. In addition, it can develop my independence on learning and finding out things for myself.

ReputationRep:
    yeah cool i'll try that

ReputationRep:
    yeah cool i'll try that
    Sure. Tell me how it went afterwards, and if they let you self teach.

ReputationRep:
    I havn't read the whole thread so excuse me if I am repeating someone. You can definitely teach your self, but you must have commitment, a timetable which you should stick to. A problem is coursework, unless you can get a teacher to mark it or a qualified private marker you may have a problem. Many courses have optional papers which you can sit instead of coursework.

Sometimes doing it yourself is better than with school. For example, for biology which have the crappest teacher, every lesson he tells us to get a textbook and do our own work from it!!! What is the point? I might as well do it at home with my own textbook! He also gets us to dicuss with each other about the topic, although we havn't even been tought it. He is just so lazy, but hopefully we won't have him for A2!
    Also teachers may teach you stuff useless crap which won't come out on the exam.

If doing it privately, I suggest you buy some past papers to get a feel of the level and type of questions required.

If successful, it will also look good on your job/uni application, 'able to cope independantly'

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.