The Student Room Group

The Field Hockey Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by ChrissyH
I was referring to the old man, not you and your brother, I think I know your faces though.

Ah...again, given our team, old man could be one of about 5! Though I think I know who you mean:p:
Reply 321
Original post by Slumpy
Ah...again, given our team, old man could be one of about 5! Though I think I know who you mean:p:

The small guy, with the beard who is super fast!
Reply 322
Anyone else here assembling/taking a team to the Edinburgh 7s tournament festival in early June? Beer, hockey, partying, and beer! :beer: http://www.edinburgh7sfestival.com/info/about-us/
Reply 323
Original post by Arianto
Anyone else here assembling/taking a team to the Edinburgh 7s tournament festival in early June? Beer, hockey, partying, and beer! :beer: http://www.edinburgh7sfestival.com/info/about-us/

Don't think so, I see you're from Edinburgh which team do you play for?
Reply 324
After our dazzling cup run defeating sides from Glasgow and Aberdeen en route we crashed out in the semis last weekend :frown:, very happy to have made it to Peffermill though, lovely pitch. The only low part would be when the goalkeeper took me out, first time it's happened :frown:
Reply 325
After our dazzling cup run defeating sides from Glasgow and Aberdeen en route we crashed out in the semis last weekend :frown:, very happy to have made it to Peffermill though, lovely pitch. The only low part would be when the goalkeeper took me out, first time it's happened :frown:

I recommend taking out keepers. Ref will rarely give that as a foul!:p:
Reply 326
Don't think so, I see you're from Edinburgh which team do you play for?

I used to play for Waverley Inveresk Trinity, but just been playing intra-mural at UoE for the past year due to s**** lecture times and work :sigh:
Reply 327
Original post by Arianto
I used to play for Waverley Inveresk Trinity, but just been playing intra-mural at UoE for the past year due to s**** lecture times and work :sigh:

That's not great. :/ Hope you don't mind me asking, what position and that are you haha?
Reply 328
That's not great. :/ Hope you don't mind me asking, what position and that are you haha?

Depends what period in my hockey career you're asking haha, in my school days I was centre-back (the few times we actually had a game that is), then when I was at WIT I normally played either full-back or winger I gradually changed to, and now I usually play forward.

Care to regale me with your playing story? :^_^:
Reply 329
Original post by Arianto
Depends what period in my hockey career you're asking haha, in my school days I was centre-back (the few times we actually had a game that is), then when I was at WIT I normally played either full-back or winger I gradually changed to, and now I usually play forward.

Care to regale me with your playing story? :^_^:

I'm still in my school days :P.
I started off as a defender and that's where I played for 1 and 1/2 seasons until my coach decided to try me up front for the rest of this season indoors and then outdoors. I'm currently top scorer :colondollar:
Reply 330
Oh come on, I can't be the only one who plays field hockey here can I?
Original post by peter201
Oh come on, I can't be the only one who plays field hockey here can I?

He says in a thread with currently 332 posts... o.O
Reply 332
Is anyone looking at entering a team for the Milton Keynes Hockey Festival this year, I am pretty sure there are still some spaces left
http://www.mkhockey.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=95
Original post by Arianto

A lot of folk at my school used to play for WIT I think, my brother and I used to play for CALA so there was bad blood there!

Aberdeen uni only has a one day 6s intramural tournament, its a pity because I think a longer league would be quite fun and we could probably find enough people for law, medics, sciences and OTC teams.
Reply 334
I'm still in my school days :P.
I started off as a defender and that's where I played for 1 and 1/2 seasons until my coach decided to try me up front for the rest of this season indoors and then outdoors. I'm currently top scorer :colondollar:

Ah right, school in Edinburgh? Sounds awesome you never know how you'll play in a position until you've played in it!
Reply 335
Original post by TheRabbit
A lot of folk at my school used to play for WIT I think, my brother and I used to play for CALA so there was bad blood there!

Aberdeen uni only has a one day 6s intramural tournament, its a pity because I think a longer league would be quite fun and we could probably find enough people for law, medics, sciences and OTC teams.

Clearly a while back, they're short of much-needed youth at my time of leaving!

Yeah intra-mural are a massive amount of fun cos people just wanna have fun (except those bastard serious medics and vets...) we've got at least 9 or 10 teams in our league, that stretches pretty much the whole year, playing eachother 2/3 times.
Original post by Arianto
Clearly a while back, they're short of much-needed youth at my time of leaving!

Yeah intra-mural are a massive amount of fun cos people just wanna have fun (except those bastard serious medics and vets...) we've got at least 9 or 10 teams in our league, that stretches pretty much the whole year, playing eachother 2/3 times.

I guess it is a while ago! My old school coach probably isn't involved anymore to push people along. Inverleith and CALA maybe have stronger youth training sections, though for all I know my old team may have gone to pot as I think my favourite coaches went the year I left.

Medics can be pretty darn annoying... :biggrin: We get a few matches a year but they are so infrequent that my commitments to the uni club tends to prevent me playing.

I'm looking at playing for Highland hockey club next year because I'm moving but I don't know if I'm good enough having let my self get lazy in the uni club and I'm no longer sure what I'm good at.
I wish we had an intermural league. Would give me more chance of playing.
Reply 338
Hello!

I started playing hockey in my first year of high school and went to lunchtime sessions each week and since then I've joined a club in Dundee where I'm just coming up to the end of my second season and really enjoying it, even though we don't always get a great result!

My coach seems to think I'm incredibly versatile as I've played everywhere apart from in goal! Defence is my favoured position though, mainly right or left back. Saying that, my huge, massive, amazing goal tally of 3 goals in 2 seasons have all came from me playing left midfield.
Reply 339
Original post by TheRabbit
I guess it is a while ago! My old school coach probably isn't involved anymore to push people along. Inverleith and CALA maybe have stronger youth training sections, though for all I know my old team may have gone to pot as I think my favourite coaches went the year I left.

Medics can be pretty darn annoying... :biggrin: We get a few matches a year but they are so infrequent that my commitments to the uni club tends to prevent me playing.

I'm looking at playing for Highland hockey club next year because I'm moving but I don't know if I'm good enough having let my self get lazy in the uni club and I'm no longer sure what I'm good at.

I'd say always go for it if you have the time! Nothin beats a bit of hockey, even if there's rust.

Quick Reply

Latest