Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Any advice peeps? Is this common? Advisable?

    Don't know about whether it's common but I wouldn't advise it - by all means take out as many student accounts as you want, but I would only take an overdraft on one of them. The value of and how you operate the overdraft will be reported to credit reference agencies, so the other banks at which you have accounts will be able to find out if you have overdrafts elsewhere - if the terms and conditions of the accounts that you sign up for prohibit you from taking accounts/overdrafts elsewhere, then you could be in trouble.
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    It is possible, but only if you check the terms and conditions. I have 2! If you do have more than one then you must use both accounts. It doesn't matter how much you deposit in the 2nd account, as long as you deposit money regularly. I only put my lose change and any small cheques I get into mine. But if you don't use it they get suspicious.

    They won't do credit checks apart from when you apply, so apply for them all at the same time (and any extra bits like credit cards from that account etc).

    If you do take mulitple overdrafts, then shove the extras into a high interest account and don't touch them! If you pay tax (basically if you're gonna be working and earning lots of money) then you'd be better off with an ISA. Or if you're planning on leaving the money there for a long til (til after you started working and earning over the tax limit) you'd also be better off with an ISA. Otherwise, since most students don't earn that much you can fill in a form to not pay tax on the interest anyway, and most high interest accounts earn more than ISAs
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.