Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi this is for a biochem bit, im having real problems with the bio part.

why does untreated milk not break down any further than carbohydrate breakdown, whereas pausturised milk has carbohydrate, protein and fat breakdown?

also i noticed that all word what end in 'ase' are enzymes is there a similar rule for protiens, fats, carbohydrates, vitimins and other basic food types?

thanks so much... exam tomorow :eek: :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    ose is for carbohydrates like glucose, lactose, sucrose etc
    ine is for amino acisd likeglycine, methionine, cysteine but there are exeptions like tryptophan (proteins as far as I know do not have specific names)
    fatty acids would end with ic like palmatic, oleic, stearic acid
    Vitamins you can recognise easily as they are named by letters (I do not think any examination board would expect you to know they actual chemical names as they are coming from variaty of different groups and there is no real pattern)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    ose is for carbohydrates like glucose, lactose, sucrose etc
    ine is for amino acisd likeglycine, methionine, cysteine but there are exeptions like tryptophan (proteins as far as I know do not have specific names)
    fatty acids would end with ic like palmatic, oleic, stearic acid
    Vitamins you can recognise easily as they are named by letters (I do not think any examination board would expect you to know they actual chemical names as they are coming from variaty of different groups and there is no real pattern)
    cheers, wot bout the mik problem?

ReputationRep:
    I do not realy understand what is the milk question going about. Is it about milk digestion or break down as it stends by bacteria or what?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.