Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Les Miserables Society watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    I really like Phantom of the Opera (I know, typical!) and Miss Saigon. I've also seen Lion King - the costumes and stuff were amazing but the story and the songs are exactly the same as the film, so I didn't think it was that good really as a musical. Others I've seen include Annie (which I hated), The Producers (quite funny, but not exactly memorable, plus I was on the second from last row on the upper circle lol ), Cats (quite liked) and The Woman in White (OK, but I was looking forward to seeing Ruthie Henshall and she was off sick when I went, so was disappointing).

I was going to see Wicked sometime, but it isn't that good then? Which others do you recommend?
    I did not like Wicked, but it really depends on you and your tastes. It isn't a "traditional" musical - the songs are sung more Whitney-Houston style than musical style - and the script altogether, while amusing in parts, is on the whole quite schmaltzy/soppy. Put it this way: I can see why it's done well in America. It was very professional though...

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see what all the big fuzz is about with Wicked

After Les Mis, the rest of the musicals in my top five are : Chess, We Will Rock You, Jesus Christ: Superstar and Spamalot. And I like plenty more (currently listening to Cabaret)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I just don't see what all the big fuzz is about with Wicked
    Thank you Finally someone who agrees with me

ReputationRep:
    {high fives}
    Les Mis is miles better of course

ReputationRep:
    Mais oui!

:five:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to double-post - but they're playing the Les Mis soundtrack NOW on Radio Classique Listen now (don't worry, it's in English :p: ) at www.radioclassique.fr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Sorry to double-post - but they're playing the Les Mis soundtrack NOW on Radio Classique Listen now (don't worry, it's in English :p: ) at www.radioclassique.fr
    I'm listening to it now, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tip

I pinched a few of my flatmate's musical CDs yesterday - they had I Dreamed A Dream on one, being sung by a bloke, and Do You Hear The People Sing? on another titled "The People's Song" and sung all happy and jolly and jiggy. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tip

I pinched a few of my flatmate's musical CDs yesterday - they had I Dreamed A Dream on one, being sung by a bloke, and Do You Hear The People Sing? on another titled "The People's Song" and sung all happy and jolly and jiggy. :mad:
    Yeah, on a Musicals Collection CD that I've got, there's a few Les Mis songs that are practically butchered When the songs are not sung by professional musical singers it sounds especially bad. The real CDs are definitely the way to go... especially the 10th Anniversary Cast or the Complete Symphonic Recording

ReputationRep:
    Oui

To anyone who listened to Radio Classique last night: does anyone know which recording it was? It sounded like the same people playing Javert and Marius as in the 10th anniversary edition but apart from that I couldn't pick out much else I only got about 3/4 of the way through though since musicals are my boyfriend's worst nightmare :eek: and I thought he'd suffered enough :p:

ReputationRep:
    There is a sequel book to Les Miserables! It has been written by someone called Laura Kalpakian, and the book title is 'Cosette'.

I picked it up in a charity shop and i haven't read it yet so i don't know how good it is.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the Hugo family tried to take these sequel writers to court over this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6317941.stm

Anyway, we all know that sequels not written by the same author as the original are rubbish :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Apparently the Hugo family tried to take these sequel writers to court over this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6317941.stm

Anyway, we all know that sequels not written by the same author as the original are rubbish :p:
    Well i was just saying.. :p:

I'm listening to Les Mis - Look Down now :love:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Cosette is rubbish, though I haven't read it

ReputationRep:
    I only read sequels that aren't by the original author if the original author has officially commissioned them to do it (e.g. Margaret Mitchell, author of Gone With The Wind, stated before her death that she wanted Alexandra Ripley to write a sequel, Scarlett - which was written and I found to be quite good).

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I just got the urge to talk about Les Mis and found this society! Brill Will apply on the double!

My favourite song is A Little Fall of Rain. :love: and also On My Own.

I'd love to see it on the stage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpinkuk)
    Ooh I just got the urge to talk about Les Mis and found this society! Brill Will apply on the double!

My favourite song is A Little Fall of Rain. :love: and also On My Own.

I'd love to see it on the stage!
    Done, welcome to the society

ReputationRep:
    Welcome pink pink
    You've not seen it live then? I love it in all forms, but on stage it is just something else!

Deej- slightly ot, but you should audition for Any Dream Will Do

ReputationRep:
    Welcome pink pink
    You've not seen it live then? I love it in all forms, but on stage it is just something else!

I would, but I, erm, can't dance.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome pink pink

Not yet. Hopefully one day when I'm no longer a poor student! I'd like to see Phantom as well one day.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.