Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen :))
    For AS yes it is a very good idea to have 4 subjects, this gives you freedom as you may really hate a subject and can therefore drop it in A2. In my opinion i dont think that 4 subjects at A2 is really necessary. Most universities only look for 3 subjects and you have 2 ask yourself 'why spread myself thinly over 4 subjects when i can really make a good go at 3 and come out with a better grade?'
    With 3, dont get me wrong its still a heck of a lot of work (different subjects having different degrees of difficulty) but you have time to do other activities, such as kayaking, skiing, abseiling etc which all make you a more well rounded person. This is what universities are looking for!
    hope this helps!
    ps. subjects are also influenced by teacher quality, forexample some of my teachers are bejond belief! i know more than them!! (for example my head of business didnt even know we were doin cw till 2 months b4 we left school!!!). therefore is you have any doubts i recommend you dont pick the subject! it really means you wil have to do sooo much more revision learnin the stuff THEY didnt teach you!
    Well, I *think* I can handle taking 4 A2s and still getting good grades in all of them, but if I think I can't, I'll just drop one. Hopefully I'll figure it out before I apply to uni, but if not, even if they do increase my offer, in theory I should be able to meet it by only doing 3 subjects and having a reduced workload. I think English has the worst A2 teachers at my school and that's my least favourite subject anyway, so that's the one I'd drop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    ugh - I'm doing 6 AS and 6 A2 along with the two AS i di dearly this year... gonna be a hell of a lot of work
    You could just make it easier on yourself and do A2s in French and English lit plus ASs in 2 of the others next year, then take both of those to A2 and maybe pick up another AS in Year 13. 4 subjects in the first year, 3 in the second, and you still get 4 A-levels and 1 AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    You could just make it easier on yourself and do A2s in French and English lit plus ASs in 2 of the others next year, then take both of those to A2 and maybe pick up another AS in Year 13. 4 subjects in the first year, 3 in the second, and you still get 4 A-levels and 1 AS
    ahhh couldn't stand another english lit and i wanna do french again, besides after MONTHS of deliberating I am pretty sure now, it's just hopefully I will be able to keep up with my work

ReputationRep:
    thank you all who hav contributed to this thread. i think i will be able 2 do 4 A2s as i want to keep all my subjects if it is ok with me.

ReputationRep:
    I did 4 full A-Levels... until about a month or 2 ago when I dropped one of them because I realised it wouldn't count for university and it would just pressurize the grades that actually mattered (namely, my Physics one).

~Ian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    ahhh couldn't stand another english lit and i wanna do french again, besides after MONTHS of deliberating I am pretty sure now, it's just hopefully I will be able to keep up with my work
    So as I understand it, you'll be doing 5 ASs next year, since you're not planning to resit English lit? That shouldn't be too bad as some people do 5, but I don't think 5 proper A2s would be a brilliant idea! You have until after your ASs to decide that though. What I still don't get is why you want to do French again though; surely you won't have to resit the whole course, as in go to lessons, you could just resit the unit(s) you didn't do very well in in January? That would reduce your workload quite a bit and then it wouldn't look like it had taken you 2 years to do an AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    So as I understand it, you'll be doing 5 ASs next year, since you're not planning to resit English lit? That shouldn't be too bad as some people do 5, but I don't think 5 proper A2s would be a brilliant idea! You have until after your ASs to decide that though. What I still don't get is why you want to do French again though; surely you won't have to resit the whole course, as in go to lessons, you could just resit the unit(s) you didn't do very well in in January? That would reduce your workload quite a bit and then it wouldn't look like it had taken you 2 years to do an AS.
    Ummm right ok:

This year I am doing 2 AS levels, both non modular: English Lit (A ? ) and French (C ? ) Didn't do an exam in January.
    Next year I am doing 6 AS levels: Computing History Psychology Media General Studies and French (Because we haven't had the teachers or lessons we should have and I want an A so I treated this year's French as a practice). NOT resitting English Lit because I'm not taking it at college and I'm probably getting an A anyway.
    Year 13 I am doing 6 A2 levels: Computing History Psychology Media General Studies and French

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't look like it had taken you 2 years to do an AS
    - its not the one i did this year was a practice as an introduction to AS french considering we didnt have all the resources we should have

ReputationRep:
    I do 4 and the only problems I really had were around coursework time; I had 3 deadlines all at the same time which was tough. Also, at one point I was writing 8-9 essays a week which was a bit crazy.

It's highly unlikely you'll get an offer from unis that requires 4 grades; they ask for the minimum they can in most cases, and I even found that my offers were lower than my friends who were doing 3!

ReputationRep:
    Only Cambridge will give you a AAAA offer if you do four subjects. In addition, if you apply and get the offer and then drop a subject, your offer could be in doubt. If your not applying to Cambridge then don't worry!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.