Turn on thread page Beta

Hitlers Foreign Policy help needed UNIT4 (FRI) watch

ReputationRep:
    ok so ive freaking out about this exam now! Can anyone give me some pointers on how far mein kampf was a 'blueprint' for war..... i know it wasnt but i need some evidence to say it was and it wasnt.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm doing this exam too...I haven't started revising yet but I have this afternoon and all day tomorrow. Unfortuantely as it's my last exam (except 2 AEA's) I have no motivation...blurgh!

ReputationRep:
    I cant think of many and that is a little worrying, but here are the points I can think of. How many for and against arguements do you think we will need?

FOR

He spoke of his desire for living space

He said he would be willing to fight to achieve his goals

AGAINST

AJP Taylor argues it was the dreams of a frustrated revolutionary

Hitler's ambitions were not revolutionary but a restatement of German aims realised at the 1918 Treaty of Brest Litovsk

ReputationRep:
    AJP is a legend do you not think ? lol

erm for the Against side i would also include all the stuff that indicates alot of his achievments were down to his opportunism.

Erm what else....

do you know the events surrounding austria and czech in a lot of detail ??? because im reading around all the czech stuff and theres just too much going on lol!

I wish i didnt have to be bothered by this, but the fact edexcel were real *******s on monday means i have to be

ReputationRep:
    Same as with the exams on Monday. I know I have to ace this exam to get the grades I need Anything is possible I suppose

I know the Austria and Czech stuff in a fair bit of detail. I need to go over it again today or tomorrow. I know the general run of events in both and why he got away with them.

To be honest, we wont get a question soley on Mein Kampf and whether it was a blueprint. I reckon we'd only really need to use it in a Master Planner or Opportunist question.

And yes, AJP Taylor is great. He's my hero :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    oh i know we wouldnt get one soley on mein kampf, though watch the rats put one in now.... but i wanted to use if for my opportunist debate

ReputationRep:
    so do ppl think it mite be 'was hitler a opportunist?' or something along those lines - that would be ok i think... mayb, cos like, in a way he did take opportunities, with abyssinia events letting him invade rhineland, but then he did plan things out e.g hosbach memorandum he planned to move towards lebensraum and then did so early with czechsolovakia in 1939, but what about austria and czechsolovakia - were they planned, he said he wanted to take them in mein kampf, o yer, he did at hossbach memorandum too...

another gd question mite b y war in 1939 and not 1938 - e.g. nazi soviet pact, numerous successes, appeasement from other nations, etc.... hmm mite b ok, perhaps

something on hitler and mussolini's relationship could come up possibly

i sooo wana do well in this exam, got 56/90 last time around in january, having got A's in mocks and essay's.... lets hope we get a gd question!!

unit 5 for me was ok - britain and decolonisation

unit 6 on stalin, wow, well, part a was okish, part b though.... eeekkkkk, i know now realise it was not sooo hard and could have done well had i written the stuff down that i now know i ought to have written - the thing is, i knew the stuff, jst the qustion freaked me out... its unlike what we have had b4

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think a 'master planner or opportunist' one will come up but knowing edexcel that is way too simple.
    I'd like your second possible question Thats almost the exact wording of the last essay I did in class and I got an A on it

We get a choice dont we? I think we do and that makes me so much more relaxed out the exam. I kind of know that I will be able to do at least one of the questions.

ReputationRep:
    yer u get 2 questions - one is usually more simpler than the other

so what would u write for why war in 1939 and not 1938?

i would put about how Hitler may have felt more confident due to the nazi soviet pact, czech crisis in 1938 took rather a long time to sort out, numerous successes in 1938, previous appeasement by EU powers, and then, to fulfil nazi party objectives he needed to move towards lebensraum, and due to other successes he may have felt more confident to make such a move in 1939 as opposed to wait until 1943-45

cant think of anything else for that

ReputationRep:
    also, what could u put for

a. master planner

or

b. opportunist

a = hossbach, and building upon what was said at mein kampf

b = rhineland

what else???

ReputationRep:
    In the why did war happen in 1939 and not earlier practice essay I wrote basically the points you made but also wrote about why appeasement was followed making each reason for appeasement a separate reason why war did not happen earlier.

For master planner or opportunist
    Master Planner
    Hossbach
    Mein Kampf
    Anchluss of Austria
    Polish non aggression pact
    Reversed much of Versailles treaty

Opportunist
    Weaknesses of Hossbach memo
    Taking adavantage of Abyssinia to remilitarise the Rhineland
    His exploitation of Czechoslovakia disintegration
    Taking advantage of unrest among the German inhabitants of Memel and Danzig in 1938
    Anchluss - changed his mind over it being a satellite state
    His adaptation to Chamberlain's ideas at Munich

Compromise
    Had overall aims just no master plan of how to achieve them - Alan Bullock

Im sure there are more but I just can think of any

ReputationRep:
    i wud now love a question on planner/ opprotunist.... or mayb y war in 1939 and not 1938.... hmmm, will edexcel be kind to us???

ReputationRep:
    I think we are all due a good question. Edexcel questions this summer have been dodgy. Maybe they are saving the nice questions for this paper.

ReputationRep:
    I find between the choice, there is usually a very *specific* question on one or two events. And then a more *general* question..

I'd personally love a "Why was he able to destroy Versailles," question.... That would be a beauty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owen_cov)
    I think we are all due a good question. Edexcel questions this summer have been dodgy. Maybe they are saving the nice questions for this paper.
    Or maybe they'll ask us what Hitler wore at the Munich Conference... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    lol Dreama! im going with that one

Also dont foget that part of the reason Hitler went to war in 1939 and not 1938 was that he was not offered a peaceful alternative by the allies. Not like Munich Conference anyway

im thinking its going to be one about his ideology and im gonna hate it!

One that i am planning atm which i am disliking alot is 'How for does Germanys increasing military strength explain Hitlers actions 1938, or something simliar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exmoorkatie)
    One that i am planning atm which i am disliking alot is 'How for does Germanys increasing military strength explain Hitlers actions 1938, or something simliar!
    surely those ^ type questions i find the easiest because you just discuss that factor and then use the rest of the other factors to argue against, and then conclude for or against. usually when they give you a point like that its suggesting that the other factors were more important, i think a question like that would be lovely. Id love one along the lines of, 'Where Hitler's actions before 1938 driven by his desire to destroy communism?' or something like that because you could discuss everything to do with communism (Spanish civil war, anti commintern etc) and then that gives you the option really to discuss everything else that occured before 1938 but driven by different aims (destroying treaty of v, expanding etc) i think id struggle with a question like why not war in 1938, because im not sure that opens up alot.

ReputationRep:
    Hitler's Foreign Policy was included in Mein Kampf : -
    - Anschluss (Uniting with Austria
    - Lebensraum (Livingspace)

Mein Kampf included: -
    - reforming the Nazi party
    - gaining votes through election not power
    - expanding germany
    - ridding it of the jews
    - rearmament

Steps to war: -
    - Rhineland
    - Austria
    - Sudetenland
    - Czech
    - Poland

ReputationRep:
    mite sound stupid question, but what was hitlers ideology (and that of nazi party) - was it unit german speakers together, lebensraum, destroy communism, gain raw materials, revise versailles, aryan racial domination ,etc?

and, for a question on y he was able to destroy versailles, would u put eu countries appeasement, absyssinia being a favourable context, his opporunistic attitude?

that seems hard to me personally to answer

ReputationRep:
    what about these questions - they are off the edexcel website:

1. ‘Hitler’s single aim in foreign policy was to expand in the East.’ How far do you agree with this view?

2. ‘Hitler’s foreign policy successes between 1936 and 1939 rested on his remarkable tactical skills and ability to exploit his opponent’s weaknesses.’ Discuss this view.

question 1 is alrite - cos it can be agreed with to a point, but then not.... not liking question 2 thou

what was mussolini's ideology? - get rid of undesirables, destroy communism, gain an empire.... is that correct?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.