Turn on thread page Beta

Success or failure in business is caused more by the mental attitude? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    Of course you need drive! We don't live in a fairy tale world! How do u expect to come up with a good idea if you dont have drive. And also you would need drive to finance it! You need the drive to set up the 'business' etc!

xxxx
    So someone like Richard Branson needs drive when starting up a new venture???
    No, because he's got the money to pay other people to have drive for him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    So he had no drive what so ever? He didnt need the drive and inititive to set up the venture, then to let people run it?

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    He has like 80 different ventures, only a handful actually make him money. I think he should rationalise his business. Anyway, I'll be back in aobut a couple of hours, to discuss more about business

ReputationRep:
    So he had no drive what so ever? He didnt need the drive and inititive to set up the venture, then to let people run it?

xxxx
    In some cases, no. He just wanted more money, decided the best market to muscle into, and let the people he pays get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    In some cases, no. He just wanted more money, decided the best market to muscle into, and let the people he pays get on with it.
    True, so very true.

ReputationRep:
    Of course he had drive! There is no way any of his business ventures would have started otherwise! He may deligate now, but at the very beginning vast amounts of drive would have been needed! I don't see how you can believe otherwise! Money does not equal drive!

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    He has like 80 different ventures, only a handful actually make him money. I think he should rationalise his business. Anyway, I'll be back in aobut a couple of hours, to discuss more about business
    This is very true, just proving that not all ventures make money, even if they are considered to be good! He should rationalise his businesses definately, but how he would do so i have no idea!

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    This is very true, just proving that not all ventures make money, even if they are considered to be good! He should rationalise his businesses definately, but how he would do so i have no idea!

xxxx
    RB is either very smart or very lucky, either way the chap is worth a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    RB is either very smart or very lucky, either way the chap is worth a lot of money.
    It was a mix of both, undoubtedly, as neither one alone could have made him that sucessful.

ReputationRep:

xxxx
    Did you know that when he first started selling CDs in his Virgin stores, he actaully went outside of the UK and bought them, then smuggled them into Britain so that he didn't have to pay tax?

What I believe made his label so successful at first, is the initial signing of the 'Sex Pistols', who nobody would sign. Then the artists came rolling in, (his label also signed that person who did the Exorcist tune).

ReputationRep:
    I think that it is a bit of both in his case. Yes he is a very clever man, but luck has helped him with his successes and windfalls. A lot of money is putting it nicely!

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I think that it is a bit of both in his case. Yes he is a very clever man, but luck has helped him with his successes and windfalls. A lot of money is putting it nicely!

xxxx
    He is also slightly underhand .

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that when he first started selling CDs in his Virgin stores, he actaully went outside of the UK and bought them, then smuggled them into Britain so that he didn't have to pay tax?

What I believe made his label so successful at first, is the initial signing of the 'Sex Pistols', who nobody would sign. Then the artists came rolling in, (his label also signed that person who did the Exorcist tune).
    No i didnt know that. Its quite impressive thou that he managed to get away with the tax evasion on the CDs! Well with all music lables, once a big name has been signed all the others start rolling in - its like a fashion trend! hehe

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    No i didnt know that. Its quite impressive thou that he managed to get away with the tax evasion on the CDs! Well with all music lables, once a big name has been signed all the others start rolling in - its like a fashion trend! hehe

xxxx
    Lol. He did get away with it, but eventually got caught.

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts on:

1) Stelios Haji-Ioannou
    2) Bill Gates
    3) Rupert Murdoch

ReputationRep:
    Lol. He did get away with it, but eventually got caught.
    Well as they say, all good things must come to an end. LOL! and if we have to pay our taxes then RB definately should!!!!! Its one rule for all, not one rule for one and another for the rest! hehe!

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts on:

1) Stelios Haji-Ioannou
    2) Bill Gates
    3) Rupert Murdoch
    1) He's actually rather a good businessman, and has been great in the innovation of different ways to do lots of different things.

2) He's good, but only because he buys up or destroys hte competition, but this still takes some brains to do.

3) He's also quite good. Maybe not the greatest business mind, but he's good enough at what he knows to make things successful.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.