Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find this paper, personally i thought the majority of it was quite simple

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was OK, but I couldn't do the first 2 pages. I hadnt revised anything about current. What did you get for the first question?

And I think I got the question wrong about volcanoes being formed.
    Thought the rest was pretty easy, though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i couldn't quite remember the volcano stuff, think i got it a bit confused! :rolleyes:

Was the first question filling in the current table? Seem to think i got 0.5A for both. I just added the two together, but that was kinda a guess!!

All the formula and convection/conduction and house insulation stuff was pretty easy, but i totally mucked up the 'plum pudding' thing!! Completely made it up!! Ah well...

ReputationRep:
    i got 0.5 for both boxes as well and the resistor was over 20 ohms

volcano stuff im ok at because we did loads of it in geography

ReputationRep:
    The paper was "decent" in my opinion. It wasn't too hard and I feel confident about all my answers except the final parts of the last question (the one where you needed to calculate the fraction of potassium-40 not yet decayed and then calculate the age in million years.) As usual with most exams though I feel like I gave priority of revision to topics which were minority in the actual paper. Anyway, its over now, and I just hope I achieve the grade which I need to take Chemistry and Biology next year. Congrats to everyone who finished their GCSEs today.

ReputationRep:
    what did you get for the potassium one

i got 1/4 not yet decayed and it had taken 2600m years

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and for the volcano question, I didn't revise that so I sort of blagged. I said something like: "Volcanos are formed when two constructive plates which are moving in opposing directions eventually push against one another. Eventually the two plates which are pushing against each other push some of the Earth's crust up where a hole is left for magma to erupt through."

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I think I got it wrong. I had 2/3 had not yet decayed. However I got the same answer as you for 2600m years. I'm not too bothered though as they were only worth a mark each.

ReputationRep:
    ARGH!! i got the first question wrong!!
    I put 0.6 for both..
    I somehow multiplied 0.2 and 0.3.
    WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ARGH!!

ReputationRep:
    For the question: "What was the reading on the voltmeter?" - Did anyone get "6 Volts" ?? I am not sure if I got this right actually, but what did every1 get for that question, it was on the 2nd page.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, 6 volts on the voltmeter, 10 volts on the power supply.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I probably got 1 out of 3 marks for that question then.

ReputationRep:
    i got 6 volts on meter and power supply
    isnt voltage the same all the way round

ReputationRep:
    I have a huge headache, I was in the sun for about three hours after the exam. Anyway, I can't really remember much about the exam but I remember feeling ok about it. There were some tough questions and some easy questions so it all balanced but was above average in difficulty. Hopefully I get a A,A overall. This would be a huge improvement from 3 C's in my mocks! This paper most likely has a boundary of 47/90 for an A, like last years did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laker_Fan)
    I have a huge headache, I was in the sun for about three hours after the exam. Anyway, I can't really remember much about the exam but I remember feeling ok about it. There were some tough questions and some easy questions so it all balanced but was above average in difficulty. Hopefully I get a A,A overall. This would be a huge improvement from 3 C's in my mocks! This paper most likely has a boundary of 47/90 for an A, like last years did.
    Wow, that's a pretty low boundary for an A.
    What do people think the rough boundaries for grades, percentage wise, will be for double science this year? Oh, and can someone please tell me how much our coursework is worth overall?

ReputationRep:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and for the volcano question, I didn't revise that so I sort of blagged. I said something like: "Volcanos are formed when two constructive plates which are moving in opposing directions eventually push against one another. Eventually the two plates which are pushing against each other push some of the Earth's crust up where a hole is left for magma to erupt through."
    I wanted to put that, but it wasn't that sort of plate boundary. The plate boundary you're describing is Compressional one isn' it? The two plates were converging ie. they moved together, not apart.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the plate where two plates move together is destructive. I went very into geography for the tectonics Not a bad paper at all for the first question I put 0.5 in both boxes then 6V and then 12V.. Oh and the half life question I put 650 did anyone get a standard form answer for a question?

ReputationRep:
    yeh standard form for a question about energy

think it was 2.12x10^10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maca)

think it was 2.12x10^10
    oops i got that answer but standard form didn't occur 2 me - wrote it as 21200000000 it only jst fit in the space!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maca)

think it was 2.12x10^10
    yeah thats the same answer i got. i thot i was the only one. phew

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.