The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, i couldn't quite remember the volcano stuff, think i got it a bit confused! :rolleyes:

Was the first question filling in the current table? Seem to think i got 0.5A for both. I just added the two together, but that was kinda a guess!!

All the formula and convection/conduction and house insulation stuff was pretty easy, but i totally mucked up the 'plum pudding' thing!! Completely made it up!! Ah well... :redface:
Reply 2
i got 0.5 for both boxes as well and the resistor was over 20 ohms

volcano stuff im ok at because we did loads of it in geography :biggrin:
The paper was "decent" in my opinion. It wasn't too hard and I feel confident about all my answers except the final parts of the last question (the one where you needed to calculate the fraction of potassium-40 not yet decayed and then calculate the age in million years.) As usual with most exams though I feel like I gave priority of revision to topics which were minority in the actual paper. Anyway, its over now, and I just hope I achieve the grade which I need to take Chemistry and Biology next year. :smile: Congrats to everyone who finished their GCSEs today.
Reply 4
what did you get for the potassium one

i got 1/4 not yet decayed and it had taken 2600m years
Oh, and for the volcano question, I didn't revise that so I sort of blagged. I said something like: "Volcanos are formed when two constructive plates which are moving in opposing directions eventually push against one another. Eventually the two plates which are pushing against each other push some of the Earth's crust up where a hole is left for magma to erupt through."
Ahh, I think I got it wrong. I had 2/3 had not yet decayed. However I got the same answer as you for 2600m years. I'm not too bothered though as they were only worth a mark each.
Reply 7
ARGH!! i got the first question wrong!!
I put 0.6 for both..
I somehow multiplied 0.2 and 0.3.
WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARGH!!
For the question: "What was the reading on the voltmeter?" - Did anyone get "6 Volts" ?? I am not sure if I got this right actually, but what did every1 get for that question, it was on the 2nd page.
Reply 9
Yeah, 6 volts on the voltmeter, 10 volts on the power supply.
Ok, I probably got 1 out of 3 marks for that question then.
Reply 11
i got 6 volts on meter and power supply
isnt voltage the same all the way round
Reply 12
I have a huge headache, I was in the sun for about three hours after the exam. Anyway, I can't really remember much about the exam but I remember feeling ok about it. There were some tough questions and some easy questions so it all balanced but was above average in difficulty. Hopefully I get a A,A overall. This would be a huge improvement from 3 C's in my mocks! This paper most likely has a boundary of 47/90 for an A, like last years did.
Reply 13
Laker_Fan
I have a huge headache, I was in the sun for about three hours after the exam. Anyway, I can't really remember much about the exam but I remember feeling ok about it. There were some tough questions and some easy questions so it all balanced but was above average in difficulty. Hopefully I get a A,A overall. This would be a huge improvement from 3 C's in my mocks! This paper most likely has a boundary of 47/90 for an A, like last years did.

Wow, that's a pretty low boundary for an A.
What do people think the rough boundaries for grades, percentage wise, will be for double science this year? Oh, and can someone please tell me how much our coursework is worth overall?
Reply 14
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and for the volcano question, I didn't revise that so I sort of blagged. I said something like: "Volcanos are formed when two constructive plates which are moving in opposing directions eventually push against one another. Eventually the two plates which are pushing against each other push some of the Earth's crust up where a hole is left for magma to erupt through."

I wanted to put that, but it wasn't that sort of plate boundary. The plate boundary you're describing is Compressional one isn' it? The two plates were converging ie. they moved together, not apart.
Reply 15
I thought the plate where two plates move together is destructive. I went very into geography for the tectonics :biggrin: Not a bad paper at all for the first question I put 0.5 in both boxes then 6V and then 12V.. Oh and the half life question I put 650 did anyone get a standard form answer for a question?
Reply 16
yeh standard form for a question about energy

think it was 2.12x10^10
maca

think it was 2.12x10^10

oops i got that answer but standard form didn't occur 2 me - wrote it as 21200000000 it only jst fit in the space!
Reply 18
maca

think it was 2.12x10^10

yeah thats the same answer i got. i thot i was the only one. phew
Divirging = Constructive... You're right...

Latest