Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Physics I got 26/30
    Biology I got 28/30
    Chemistry I got 30/30

Hey good luck in your extension next week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxjayx)
    err, I do not have a clue how it is worked out, But I think our extension paper is worth like 20%, and the extension is quite harder.

They convert your raw marks out of 100 into UMS points, and add it to your coursework scores.
    What ddi you all get in c/w? For Biology I got 28/30, Physics 27/30 and Chem 27/30
    The 90 minute paper is 53.7%
    Extension is 26.7%
    Coursework is 20%

I think that's right...? For me anyway... I am taking Singular Physics, does that make any difference?

ReputationRep:
    i got 30/30 for physics which means i got a full 20% of the marks
    27/30 for bio and 28/30 for chem

ReputationRep:
    so say...

i scored 28/30 in coursework
    80/100 for bio paper 2
    and 30/50 for bio paper 4 extension

wht grade does that give me for ocr, with coursework = 20%, paper 2 = 53.3% and paper 4 = 26.7%?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, ok, thanks for the information xxjayx and wooty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davror)
    so say...

i scored 28/30 in coursework
    80/100 for bio paper 2
    and 30/50 for bio paper 4 extension

wht grade does that give me for ocr, with coursework = 20%, paper 2 = 53.3% and paper 4 = 26.7%?
    Around 76%... if my calculations are correct That's a rough esimate, but it's pretty close to the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Better than that, I have a thing my teacher gave me based on LAST years exam results. and by that
    the A* mark in UMS points was 269, in UMS marks you got 294 Davror, well into A*

ReputationRep:
    Really? I dont no how this UMS thing works but thats gr8 . Thats the marks I aim for anyway... I no my coursework grade thou.

ReputationRep:
    Davror, what you do is this.
    Paper 1 is out of 100
    Paper 2 is out of 50
    CW out of 30.

For coursework you multiply your grade by 1.67 (28x1.67)
    Then you add your paper 1 + paper 2 scores together and add them onto figure worked out from coursework.
    Then you times this value by 1.875 to find your UMS mark.

Last year UMS boundaries were:
    269 A*
    234 A
    199 B
    164 C
    116 D

ReputationRep:
    did any one find the I V graph you had to draw really hard to draw cos the scale was all screwed up? Wat did people get for the shape of the graph? I got a straight line and then a slight upwards curve between 8V and 12.5V. Hope thats right cos i really need some marks - our teacher hadn't taught us half of what was on that paper. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I got a straight line until 8.1 V or whatever it was, then the gradient increased in a curve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestone)
    Yeah, I got a straight line until 8.1 V or whatever it was, then the gradient increased in a curve.
    thank god!

ReputationRep:
    resistance wasnt effected by voltage was it?

ReputationRep:
    I said that it remained constant, then decreased as voltage increased. I had no idea what I was doing.

But how was that question worth four marks?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, dont understand why it would be that much...
    FOr the radioactivity question, was the half life 8days?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=xxjayx]Dunno, dont understand why it would be that much...

Think its sumthin to do with the filament wire getting hotter causing an increase in resistance - think this was when the graph curved?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh...the scale on that Q was awful - i ended up doing a straight line of best fit but it didnt go through all the points. I think the ball Q was worded very wrongly - technically the ball probably would have been attracted to the rod (for the last bit where you had to draw the ball) but I drew it being repelled as I thought it was only 1 mark and they probably just wanted to test we knew that if the charge changed, the direction of the ball would change. Oh well...only one mark anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestone)
    I said that it remained constant, then decreased as voltage increased. I had no idea what I was doing.

But how was that question worth four marks?
    You had to label the Axis' as well as number the axis', plot the point, line of fit...! The explanation for me was at 8.1V the resistance began to rise, as it's a filament lamp after all. I think you got some marks there Fabba

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxjayx)
    Dunno, dont understand why it would be that much...
    FOr the radioactivity question, was the half life 8days?
    Yeah! Didn't show it on the graph clearly though, all I did was draw a dotted line... not sure if this is enough.

ReputationRep:
    The next question though - the one about how the resistance changes with voltage. I hadn't a clue of what to write, and am sure that I got the last bit wrong as well. Oh well.

Yeah exactly when I did it I thought, the resistance increases as current increases...wait...I think I put that the resistance decreases and used figures showing that it increased...looks like I contradicted myself.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.