Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got 8 days too, and drew a dotted line. I think it should be enough because I think a dotted line was sufficient for the mocks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    Yeh...the scale on that Q was awful - i ended up doing a straight line of best fit but it didnt go through all the points. I think the ball Q was worded very wrongly - technically the ball probably would have been attracted to the rod (for the last bit where you had to draw the ball) but I drew it being repelled as I thought it was only 1 mark and they probably just wanted to test we knew that if the charge changed, the direction of the ball would change. Oh well...only one mark anyway.
    Yes! Because it was worth 3 marks altogether that just got me thinking, is there a trick in there somewhere? Because isn't that the most obvious thing to say that the ball repelled?

ReputationRep:
    What were the UMS boundaries last year for chem and physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestone)
    The next question though - the one about how the resistance changes with voltage. I hadn't a clue of what to write, and am sure that I got the last bit wrong as well. Oh well.
    I said (if it's right - I don't know )... The resistance remained constant until 8.1V hit, then the resistance began to increase as the filament lamp began to get too hot which increased the resistance. This made the graph increase in gradient, and began to curve, as less current is needed when the resistance is increased, hence, the V=IR formula.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Because it was worth 3 marks altogether that just got me thinking, is there a trick in there somewhere? Because isn't that the most obvious thing to say that the ball repelled?
    I wrote about the fact that the Earth wire took the positive charge out of the ball (learnt that from my friend who does Electronics )... and this left is with the electrons, which are negative. Making the ball negative repels it away from the negative block... I assume it just wanted you to talk about the Earth wire making it negative, and the fact it would repel because the positive charge was taken away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxjayx)
    Davror, what you do is this.
    Paper 1 is out of 100
    Paper 2 is out of 50
    CW out of 30.

For coursework you multiply your grade by 1.67 (28x1.67)
    Then you add your paper 1 + paper 2 scores together and add them onto figure worked out from coursework.
    Then you times this value by 1.875 to find your UMS mark.

Last year UMS boundaries were:
    269 A*
    234 A
    199 B
    164 C
    116 D
    Hey Thanks for the help but 3 questions.

Firstly how did you no that? With what to multiply by and stuff?
    Secondly - does it say somewhere on the ocr website what the UMS marks were for last year? Because I cant seem to find it
    And Thirdly can u use this for any exam?

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right.

Apparently last year chemistry's A* boundary was 71%.

For that question, I said,
    R=V/I, the resistance remains constant from 0 to 8.1V with a straight line through the origin, showing that it is directly proportional. Then the resistance decreases as the voltage increases(?!) as the resistance at 10V has increased to 5.2 Ohms, increasing even more to 5.6 Ohms at 12.2V.

Oh dear the contradiction.

Damn it I didn't state a reason...

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right.

Apparently last year chemistry's A* boundary was 71%.

For that question, I said,
    R=V/I, the resistance remains constant from 0 to 8.1V with a straight line through the origin, showing that it is directly proportional. Then the resistance decreases as the voltage increases(?!) as the resistance at 10V has increased to 5.2 Ohms, increasing even more to 5.6 Ohms at 12.2V.

Oh dear the contradiction.

Damn it I didn't state a reason...
    Did you mean to contradict yourself..? I got exactly the same as you, apart from the "resistant decreases as the voltage increases". I said, when voltage increased from 8.1+ resistance increased when voltage increased.

Radiation Question - I found this hard, no-one else did . I realised towards the end a little, and rushed it, without success I feel.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise I was contradicting myself until now.

Radiation question - I had to guess it all. What did you put?

I said that it's radioactive as the rock isn't contacting the film - I had no idea!
    I then said that it shows that the radiation is ionising and is able to penetrate through thick black paper.
    Then I said that it couldn't be alpha as alpha is unable to penetrate through paper
    Then I had no idea and guessed that they needed to find out which materials could stop the radiation to determine what type it is, and to prevent damage to people.

My answers were quite random really.

ReputationRep:
    I think I only got the last one correct - he did more tests to see what radiation it was, what particles... etc. I only thoguht of particles before the end and at this time, I didn't have time. It was only 5 marks for the whole question, only positive I can draw from it ...! I doubt I'll get an A-B... C would be good for me in this lesson, my teacher was a total idiot. What are you aiming for Firestone?

ReputationRep:
    WHat did everyone get for the "amount of electricity needed"
    Q=IT was used.
    Think I got 4500 coloumbs

ReputationRep:
    I got 480 coulombs. Because it was 0.8A x 600s = 480 coulombs!

ReputationRep:
    yeah I gt soemthing liek that 460 I think, my graph may have read a bit different to yours,
    not 4600 lol

ReputationRep:
    Amount of electricity needed? I remember using this formula, but which question was this?

I didn't even think about particles and guessed all my answers, thinking, oh this is so random. I'm aiming at A* as this is what I was predicted, so that's why I'm so worried about the biology and especially grade boundaries. Sounds like I made a lot of mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got 480 C as well. I didn't use my graph - I just used the value in the table.

Oh and what did everyone else put for the radioactivity question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxjayx)
    yeah I gt soemthing liek that 460 I think, my graph may have read a bit different to yours,
    not 4600 lol
    4V * 10minutes wasn't it?

I think I messed up that question huge...

ReputationRep:
    Oh was the time in minutes?! Ahhh yet another mistake. No wonder that question was worth so much!

ReputationRep:
    Oh was the time in minutes?! Ahhh yet another mistake.
    No, I'm mistaken on this one I think ... the time should have been in seconds. How'd you lot get 480C?

ReputationRep:
    No time was in minutes - I remember that I converted it to seconds.

I did Q = I*t, how Les Mcqueen did it.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get 0.8A from? That's what I'm confused about.. Yeah, the time was 10minutes, but you had to convert that into seconds, right..?

I forget which question this is actually about (like the scenario, etc) but I remember doing a question which involved 10minutes...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.