Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What about the question that asked you about the advantages/disadvantages of radiation?

For disadvantages I filled up the whole space with stuff about damaging cell walls, DNA replication and cancer.

For advantages I said that radiation is detected accurately, so results would be accurate, and there is no need of spending a long time testing - which was random as I just made it up.

What did everyone else say?

ReputationRep:
    It was the same question where you had to plot the graph.

0.8A was from 4V I think...I don't remember exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestone)
    What about the question that asked you about the advantages/disadvantages of radiation?

For disadvantages I filled up the whole space with stuff about damaging cell walls, DNA replication and cancer.

For advantages I said that radiation is detected accurately, so results would be accurate, and there is no need of spending a long time testing - which was random as I just made it up.

wasnt it 'how could a doctor explain the risks and benefits of radiation?' that was weird because its not askin you the actual advantages and disadvanteges, but how the doctor could tell you them. strange question.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. And it was worth 4 marks wasn't it...

ReputationRep:
    It was the same question where you had to plot the graph.

0.8A was from 4V I think...I don't remember exactly.
    Please tell me it wasn't worth 4 marks..?

The radiation it asked for how the doctor's would explain it to the patient, I explained it from a doctor's point of view. Explaining the risks of not using the tracer/radiation is much higher than if you do use it, because if you don't recognize you have something wrong with your thyroids it can cause more problems, whereas the chance of having something wrong with the tracer is minimal. The benefits are the fact you'll have peace of mind, and know if you have somethnig wrong. The disadvantages are mutation of cells, if radiation damages cells to cause cancer...

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. And it was worth 4 marks wasn't it...
    yeh. i mean, what was all that about. 4 marks for sumthing that doesnt even require physics knowledge. and even so its one of those questions with so many answers that u dnt know whether wat u hav put is right or wrong. a very crap question.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so scared - I got so much wrong and I'm predicted A*

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it was worth as much as 4, perhaps 2 or 3 marks. Even if you got the answer wrong you'll get your method marks.

ReputationRep:

are u talking about the sad question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabbo)
    I'm so scared - I got so much wrong and I'm predicted A*
    Same, speak for me!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it was worth as much as 4, perhaps 2 or 3 marks. Even if you got the answer wrong you'll get your method marks.
    it was one of those (3+1) marks where u get points for grammar i think.

ReputationRep:
    I think the radiation question was definitely worth 4 marks, I remember thinking 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages.

The charge question was 2 or 3 marks I think.

This is bad - now I realise that I've made so many mistakes...

ReputationRep:
    I think the radiation question was definitely worth 4 marks, I remember thinking 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages.

The charge question was 2 or 3 marks I think.

This is bad - now I realise that I've made so many mistakes...
    for that question it wasnt about naming advantages and disadvanteges, but how the doctors explain these disadvantages and advantages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazzinio)
    it was one of those (3+1) marks where u get points for grammar i think.
    Yes, it was. I mean, marks for grammar? Physics..? Correlation? I don't think so.. I think questions/mark for punctuation/grammer are strange in a exam like Physics.

Firestone, you sound like you've done quite well, I don't think you should be worried at all...

I got 20/20% on my coursework, which is a nice start, BUT my knowledge of Physics is pretty limited... I am predicted an A, doubt I'll get that. If the A boundry is around 65%, I already have 20% of that. Meaning I need 45% of the total mark over two tests.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah damn it. Looks like another four marks out of the window. What did you write?

ReputationRep:
    another thread has the grade boundaries, see what you've got,

yes, that is my thread, lol

ReputationRep:
    this years boundaries should be quite low as i think bio and chem were above the standards of pastpapers ive dun (and ive dun a few!!!) but physics was about on par with the previous papers.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, that's what I was thinking. Grammar? I think you're allowed on grammatical/spelling mistake in every sentence. I understand about the scientific language...but grammar? Physics?

The thing is, the number of mistakes I realise I've made - stuff like how the doctor explains the advantages/disadvantages...

I think you'll get at least your predicted grade. Physics boundaries aren't usually that high are they...hopefully not, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah damn it. Looks like another four marks out of the window. What did you write?
    i wrote stuff like how they could show people pictures of effects of radiation in the body, conduct a test in front of them showing effects radiation can have on certain things, telling her about risks and benefits from previous experience etc . jst the sort of things a doctor might do to reassure patients.

ReputationRep:
    Physics-Paper 2
    A 56
    B -
    C 37
    D 24

The grade boundries from the other thread... 56 doesn't seem too high to me, I think that's surprising..! My hopes of my predicted grade are rising slowly, but surely

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.