Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charikaar)
    i think question asked what amount was NOT DECAYED i put 3/4

for the second bit i put 325 million years i don't know why i put this but i just did in the last second.

charikaar

I think I put 1/4 cos it said something like 1 part K-40 to 3 parts Argon. It fitted in with the next part too, as it means it had experienced 2 half lives (1 - 1/2 - 1/4). Therefore the age of the rock was 2600million years old (as it said in the question one half life was 1300million years i think) - or around that figure.

ReputationRep:
    Yup i got that!-3/4
    Err... 0.25 of it wasn't decayed. That's 1/4.

which means two half lives have gone (0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25). 1300 * 2 = 2600 million years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidt)

which means two half lives have gone (0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25). 1300 * 2 = 2600 million years.
    I put 1/4... seemed right at the time but I can't remmeber now - and damn I put it as 3 half lives for some reason

ReputationRep:
    For that question did you get both the Currents as 0.5A, that the resistance would be more than 20 Ohms, and that the p.d was 6V and the 6V for the whole circuit too?
    Yeah that's what I got. A bit of an unusual one I thought; easier than the rest, in my opinion. The funny, or worrying, thing is that for Biology and Chemistry I finished with barely 5 minutes left; no checking time or anything. This time I finished with a solid 40 mniutes to go! Which, for me, is absolutely mad! Thing is though, I'd had about 4 hours sleep, so I went for a little kip thinking I could check in a bit, and in the end because of my lapse, I didn't actually have time to finish correcting the paper!! Argh! Despite the fact that I had 40 minutes left! Quite gutted about that as well, because I got bored towards the end and wrote any old crap down; I was hoping to change my answers later; but ran out of time. Ah well...

It was ok though. I was gutted lenses weren't on it; revised that, gutted more about P waves and S waves wasn't on it...

I thought the first page was really easy; well the first bit really. I got 0.5 for both the first two Ammeter readings, I then said that P had a greater resistance than 20 Ohms, because the current was lower, thus there must have been more resistance. The voltage was 6V, as was the overall voltage (I think).

What else...Oh yeah what did people put for the centre of mass questions? Lifebelt, swinging ball thingy and suitcase? I put something stupid about lowering the centre of mass for the suitcase?! Didn't revise that.

The greenhouse gas one was quite easy. I put that the high temperatures made it clear, especially because Mercury was nearer to the sun, and yet was cooler than Venus, I rambled on a bit about greenhouse effect. I got 8 million years for the graph question I think for that one.

I'm quite gutted about the half life one! I was debating about whether to put 1/4 (25%) or 3/4 (75%)....eek! I went for 3/4 in the end (75%), is that right or wrong, can anyone remember?

For the momentum questions I ****ed up a bit, I messed up on the 5 marker, but I got 4000N for the second one...

The tectonic questions should have been piss for me, but I was so SICK of Geography I simply could not be arsed. I put stupid things down - and didn't get time to check. I put convection currents, rising magma, heat, pressure etc for the plate boundary one. But I'm now thinking I forgot to mention continental drift. The volcanoes formation one was tricky because I wanted to talk about divergining plate boundaries (easiest volcano example), but the plates were converging, so I talked about those boundaries, and how magma forces it's way to the surface via intense heat and pressure! Should have been easy but I messed up. What did people put for the scientists one?

Um what else. I liked the way there was loads of "what is the equation" questions. Quite easy marks I guess, although a couple of them I didn't know. The worst questions for me were the ones on Gravitational Potential Energy (it's not hard it's just I hadn't revised it!!), and that stupid one about the pudding or whatever it was!! Didn't have a clue.

What did people put for the astronomy ones? Hadn't really revised that...guessed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanderslr)
    I think I put 1/4 cos it said something like 1 part K-40 to 3 parts Argon. It fitted in with the next part too, as it means it had experienced 2 half lives (1 - 1/2 - 1/4). Therefore the age of the rock was 2600million years old (as it said in the question one half life was 1300million years i think) - or around that figure.

I would have never guessed that! I felt like I was doing Maths paper not physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    For the momentum questions I ****ed up a bit, I messed up on the 5 marker, but I got 4000N for the second one...
    Same here - I did mass X velocity and then divded the second mass, didn't realise I was using the wrong equation. I demand my results now! Oh yeah and I put 1/4 but messed up the half life thing

ReputationRep:
    Dammit. I hate it when you're torn between two answers, and then go for the wrong one!! (1/4 and 3/4!!).

ReputationRep:
    What do you people think the boundary for the A grade will be?

ReputationRep:
    2004 -
    A* = 93
    A = 77

2003 -
    A* = 102
    A = 84

ReputationRep:
    wat did every1 put for the centre of mass 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzj)
    wat did every1 put for the centre of mass 1?
    i put it in the empty space in the middle of the tire and said it was where mass is concentrated and acts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidt)

Yup!

(Original post by HearTheThunder)
    i put it in the empty space in the middle of the tire and said it was where mass is concentrated and acts
    Same. But I did it by using lines of symmetry as an example. (where they cross = centre of mass)

ReputationRep:
    snap. But I'm gutted about me 3/4 one, I thought I might change it to 1/4 later on, but I didn't get to check it over. What did people put for the questions just after the C of M one. The force ones?

ReputationRep:
    snap. But I'm gutted about me 3/4 one, I thought I might change it to 1/4 later on, but I didn't get to check it over. What did people put for the questions just after the C of M one. The force ones?
    I can't remember that question....care to elaborate pweeeeese?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, it was about the dude swinging the ball over his head, it was the direction of the ball, and then the three things "needed" changing the force ie. increase/decrease etc. What did you put? And what did you put for the ones mentioned in my previous long post (sorry to bore you!).

ReputationRep:
    Ok, it was about the dude swinging the ball over his head, it was the direction of the ball, and then the three things "needed" changing the force ie. increase/decrease etc. What did you put? And what did you put for the ones mentioned in my previous long post (sorry to bore you!).
    Increase, Increase, Increase, which I thought sounded a bit weird...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Increase, Increase, Increase, which I thought sounded a bit weird...
    Oh yeah, I remember.

I put the same as thunder.

ReputationRep:
    wasn't it larger, larger then smaller? that's what i got from the equation for centripetal force f=mv2/r

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollDeep)
    wasn't it larger, larger then smaller? that's what i got from the equation for centripetal force f=mv2/r
    the last one was a reduced radius and reduced radius means greater centrepetal force

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollDeep)
    Check the syllabus:

a) No mention of f=mv2/r (even though its in CGP I know) - remember, it was 3 x 1 marks - theyre not going to expect you use a formula, before asking you to write it down first!

b) It's in the syllabus word for word. Each of the three changes are in there under "Centripetal Forces"

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.