Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is anyone doing it and has anyone got any tips. i am doing virgil and ceasar by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I did Latin, but not Virgil and Caesar.

Latin's great

As for tips - vocab and grammar. Because then you'll know that you've got the right gist of the translation and can't go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    wat did you get for latin, and anyone else as well. anymore tips.

ReputationRep:
    latin???!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!!!!! ?????? what the f*** is that????????? lol i'll stick to my french and english thanx!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I have it on Friday and next Monday, the Aeneid and various things from the Cambridge Latin Anthology.

latin???!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!!!!! ?????? what the f*** is that????????? lol i'll stick to my french and english thanx!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king8585)
    wat did you get for latin, and anyone else as well. anymore tips.
    I did it this summer, so no results yet.

Also I would learn the poetry and prose word by word for the translation, so that you know exactly which Latin word refers to which English word of the translation. The translating part is an easy five or so marks.

ReputationRep:
    Learn your vocab really well, and make sure you understand your set texts fully. It's not that hard when you know your stuff. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lidia)
    Learn your vocab really well, and make sure you understand your set texts fully. It's not that hard when you know your stuff. Good luck
    Totally agree

ReputationRep:
    on the set texts is it mostly like asking what happened and translating because i can do that. is there many questions about the effectiveness of the latin.i.e. why oits so brilliant like assonance etc...

ReputationRep:
    You get some questions asking you what happens and translating.

There are other questions that ask you things like, how does the poet use Latin effectively to...(e.g. to create a sense of atmosphere), so you have to answer with alliteration, emphatic position etc.

But prose I find that there are less questions asking you about the language in the Latin than poetry.

And also asking about the personality of the poet and how this is portrayed through the poetry.

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing caesar, and for the poetry: ovid, horace, and catullus...

ReputationRep:
    latin to me = cat to a dog! - run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i always wanted to do latin...and our school decided to start latin course just when i finished my gcses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZsaZsa)
    i'm doing caesar, and for the poetry: ovid, horace, and catullus...

Same here. I HATE Ovid's Pyrammus and Thisbe - how can you call that poetry?!
    Caesar and Civilization tomorrow though which are not as bad.
    Good luck to you all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king8585)
    is anyone doing it and has anyone got any tips. i am doing virgil and ceasar by the way.
    can i ask what can u use a gcse in latin for???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niaya)
    can i ask what can u use a gcse in latin for???

It is a very useful GCSE to have. It helps in Law, Medicine, Languages, English, Vetinary Science, other sciences etc.
    It also looks very impressive on a CV too and shows universties that you have problem-solving abilities and that you are a generally good learner. It stands out on your application and may give you an edge over someone else who did a GCSE in DT or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    gd luck for tomorrow.

nb: only just realized that ive gotta do background material! long night ahead!

ReputationRep:
    Latin exam tomorrow eh? I did it on OCR in the middle of may- thank god it's all over with! Good luck for tomorrow... verse is a killer lol.

ReputationRep:
    how did everyone find it today?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it went quite well. The comprehension and translation was a lot easier than I imagined; the Caesar was alright but with a couple of weird question; and then background was simple. I get annoyed at the little amount they ask you about the backgorund when we have had to read a whole 3 chapters of the book! I've got to prepare for Monday's exam now. Good luck for that!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.