Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel chemistry unit 5 - question & answer watch

ReputationRep:
    but on the examiners report it says quote ' correct chemistry will never go unrewarded'..lucas' is correct so it shud be accepted

ReputationRep:
    you are probably right :-)

ReputationRep:
    btw i cant answa ure Q..its not on edexcel sylabus HEHE

ReputationRep:
    good point.... oops.. and I have the syllabus in front of me.. stupid me... umm... here's another one.

How can you deduce a reaction mechanism from kinetic data such as a rate equestion (now that IS edexcel... Topic 5.4 (f) :-)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't test a ketone with iodoform, pentan-3-ol is a secondary alcohol but will not react with iodine and NaOH.

To convert benzene to a phenol, I'd nitrate it by adding concentrated H2SO4 and HNO3, to form the nitronium ion in situ to make nitrobenzene. then reduce with tin and conc hydrochloric acid in reflux to make phenylamine, then substitute that with NaOH and ethanol?

Or maybe, add dichloromethane with AlCl3 and benzene to make chloromethylbenzene, then substitute the chlorine by adding KOH?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rieuwa)
    good point.... oops.. and I have the syllabus in front of me.. stupid me... umm... here's another one.

How can you deduce a reaction mechanism from kinetic data such as a rate equestion (now that IS edexcel... Topic 5.4 (f) :-)
    the rate determining step will have reactants whose concentration is of power 1 or greater in the rate equation. powers of 2 indicate two moles of the species are required in the rate determining step. species not in the rate determining step and ones which do not appear in the rate equation.

Q: What are the colours of vanadium ions in aqueous solution in oxidation states 5+, 4+ 3+ and 2+?

ReputationRep:
    To convert benzene to a phenol, I'd nitrate it by adding concentrated H2SO4 and HNO3, to form the nitronium ion in situ to make nitrobenzene. then reduce with tin and conc hydrochloric acid in reflux to make phenylamine, then substitute that with NaOH and ethanol?

even simpler.. I think... once you have phenylamine... add HNo2 at T>10deg (ok terrible yield.. but you've made phenol. :-) )

Or maybe, add dichloromethane with AlCl3 and benzene to make chloromethylbenzene, then substitute the chlorine by adding KOH?
    Excuse me if I'm talking nonsense... but would that not give phenyl methanol and not phenol ? Hit me on the head If I'm talking nonsense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    the rate determining step will have reactants whose concentration is of power 1 or greater in the rate equation. powers of 2 indicate two moles of the species are required in the rate determining step. species not in the rate determining step and ones which do not appear in the rate equation.

Q: What are the colours of vanadium ions in aqueous solution in oxidation states 5+, 4+ 3+ and 2+?
    +5 (VO2+ ==> yellow
    +4 (VO2+) ==> blue
    +3 (V3+ ) ==>green
    +2 (V2+ ) ==> lavender / purple

Here is a question I'm not sure of the answer: what would happen if you reduced benzoic acid (C6H5-COOH) with LiAlH4 in dry ether? would you get phenol do you think?

ReputationRep:
    u wudnt get phenol..i think ud get C6H5CH3OH...i dnt think it can happen tho

Q: give the ionic equation for the reaction between Iodine and sodiumthiosulfate

ReputationRep:
    I(2) + 2S(2)O(3) -2 ---> 2I- + S(4)O(6) 2-

suggest a nessecary condition during an experiment to obtain the rate of reaction to ensure accurate results. (a bit annoying but on the specimen paper)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    I(2) + 2S(2)O(3) -2 ---> 2I- + S(4)O(6) 2-

suggest a nessecary condition during an experiment to obtain the rate of reaction to ensure accurate results. (a bit annoying but on the specimen paper)
    standard conditions ? heat under reflux ?

ReputationRep:
    constant temperature

nessasary condtions for storage cells??

ReputationRep:
    I don't know any..

ReputationRep:
    Q: What are the experimental techniques for following a reaction?
    Conditions?

This question came up quite a lot of times..... I can hardly get any mark....

ReputationRep:
    well there are many different tequniques depending on the reaction.

1. colourimetry, first calibrate colourimeter, put sample reacting in it and this will plot results. benefits - no need for sampling so accurate timing. required a coloured reagent or product

2. sampling at time intervals for titration and analysis, eg. iodine with thiosulphate, or anything that manganate reduces. probloem - error in sampling and reaction may still proceed in sample

3. pH meter in solution, to plot change in pH over time, can be used to find change in hydrogen ion concentration over time

etc...

define a d-block element (markscheme says something different to my defenition above):

element whose change in electron configuration over previous element is an extra electon in the d-block. (does not accept "highest energy level electron in d-block)

Q: why can the rate equation not be determined from the stoichiometric equation?

ReputationRep:
    the rate equation is based upon the species in the rate determining step...the stoichiometric equition may contain species that enter the reaction outside the RDS...

Describe the corrosion of Iron with equations

ReputationRep:
    i dnt think u shud put pH meter down...its regarded as inaccurate and u only get 1 mark ..

can sum1 do this Q please :tsr:
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip chemq.zip (24.5 KB, 83 views)

ReputationRep:
    sum1 please do the Q

ReputationRep:
    well the diagram would be really close to a straight line, nd th ereason for both having high boiling points would be the hydrogen bonding that they would have, the 2 methyl,propan,2ol would have an extra methyl group which would give the substance, just a little more stability.. Oh yea fractional distillation would be almost impossible as you distill to + or - 2 degrees pf literature value

ReputationRep:
    hydrogen bonding would occur? I would have said that the slight increase in atomic mass (by 15) would increase the strength of the vdw forces - btw, what INTRA molecular forces can there be? Is zwitterion interaction an example of intramolecular forces?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.