Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd start a thread for the general discussion of the OCR Microbiology and Biotechnology option, including the delights of sewage... and cheese-making... and silage... and cow hormones... and fermenters, and ... oh, you get the picture. :rolleyes:

Any ideas for what might come up on the exam this Friday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Fantasy)
    Thought I'd start a thread for the general discussion of the OCR Microbiology and Biotechnology option, including the delights of sewage... and cheese-making... and silage... and cow hormones... and fermenters, and ... oh, you get the picture. :rolleyes:

Any ideas for what might come up on the exam this Friday?
    Is no one taking this option, then? :confused: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm we have this option on Edexcel - but the exam has been and gone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Hmmm we have this option on Edexcel - but the exam has been and gone
    I feel lonely.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am doing this today, in a few hours! Arrrrggghhhhh!

I am sure it will be OK, as long as there are no major long questions, one big question should be enough, and the rest, well you can usually work it out, so should be OK, let me know how you get on with it!

GOOOOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    Yay! I'm a bit worried that I don't know enough detail, but I think I should be OK. Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    Nice paper that, what did you think?

Could have been a lot worse, the Jan 2005 paper was harder in my opinion than this one, but that said, the grade boundaries could be pushed up. A relief after the hard Unifying concepts paper!

How did you do, or anyone else for that matter, seems a quiet topic this one! hehe

ReputationRep:
    I found the first question about the urease space ship bioreactor hard, which got me all flustered, but fortunately the rest of it went OK I think, apart from a few bits here and there.

What was the nitrogen source for the penicillin? I can't find it in the text book, but I know I got it wrong.

And the virus' outer layer - I wasn't sure whether to put capsid or envelope, because it depends on the virus doesn't it? In the end I wrote 'capsid (but envelope sometimes present)'.

I think the paper was harder than this year's Unifying Concepts and Jan 2005, though.

ReputationRep:
    wow omg i jus got home from doing that exam, dammmmmmm :eek: that was some mental hard exam. :mad: ........ i jus angry that nothing on the processes like cheese etc came up, nor sewage.... am v angry........ quite a few of my peers found that exam hard... i supose it could have been worse..... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i quite liked the essay questions but i wasn't quite sure what specifically to write for the propagation question so i ended up writing out the entire process..

also i found myself repeating myself for the penicillin question, grade boundaries will be quite high me thinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Fantasy)
    What was the nitrogen source for the penicillin? I can't find it in the text book, but I know I got it wrong.
    i put yeast extract, some people i know put ammonia or amino acids, my teacher reckons there were quite a lot of correct answers for that q

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brigand)
    i put yeast extract, some people i know put ammonia or amino acids, my teacher reckons there were quite a lot of correct answers for that q
    Phew, I also put yeast extract.

ReputationRep:
    aw thank God i wrote ammonia as nitrogen source, what was the answer to the reason why the antibacterial can't puch holes in plant and animal cells?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimps)
    aw thank God i wrote ammonia as nitrogen source, what was the answer to the reason why the antibacterial can't puch holes in plant and animal cells?
    Hmm, I wasn't sure so I guessed. I started out by saying that bacterial cell walls are made of murein, while plant cell walls are celluose and animal cells do not have them at all. Then I said the antibacterial has enzymes which are specific to breaking down only murein. But that's just a wild guess.

What did people put for the three practical reasons of having a urease bioreactor on space ships? I don't understand why they were breaking down urea to ammonia and carbon dioxide anyway. Aren't they both toxic?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.