Turn on thread page Beta

June 22nd 2005 - The Official S2 Discussion Thread! watch

ReputationRep:
    So how did you find the exam?

Post your answers / questions you had problems with here!

i thought the exam was pretty straightforward, with question 7 being kinda tricky towards the end.

i'll post more indepth answers when ppl in the UK are done with the exams too!

ReputationRep:
    so glad that ones over! thought it was ok, all things considering...
    question 1 - was it as easy as i thought or was it complicated?
    question 7 - you had to reverse everything right??? what did everyone get?

ReputationRep:
    1: n = 125
    sd = root (2.88)

ReputationRep:
    yea thout it was ok 2, question 7 was quite triky and i ended up doin
    the six mark question the long way!!!! took a gud 15mins!!! Also please someone tell me it was negative skew...the median question took agesssss to work out...managed to get X^4 + X^2 = 0.5.... or something along those lines then had to calculate x from that... is that rite i cheked it about 5 times!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKe)
    yea thout it was ok 2, question 7 was quite triky and i ended up doin
    the six mark question the long way!!!! took a gud 15mins!!! Also please someone tell me it was negative skew...the median question took agesssss to work out...managed to get X^4 + X^2 = 0.5.... or something along those lines then had to calculate x from that... is that rite i cheked it about 5 times!!!!
    Median was 1.08, it was negative skew

ReputationRep:
    quite easy stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrendanC)
    Median was 1.08, it was negative skew

i got the same. but i think 3.s.f is right.

ReputationRep:
    argh didnt like that exam at all i kept getting loads of x^3 and x^4 mixed in with just x and random numbers didnt know how to solve. outside the exam room were a load of noizy chavvy shalggy girls screaming and shouting and cackling like witches- got so confused and distracted. Did people reject h0 and get the 1% sig thing to be at 10? i reversed it for calculations so i could use the table but it was tricky thinking around the reversed > and < signs and what the numbers were telling me!
    for 1st q i got n=225 then used that to calcualte the probability in the second part. It confused me at first but i think i got what it was on about. I couldnt do any of the calculate the mode median sweness etc questions because nothing was working out O.o and i made a really stupid mistake with correct y to z for <40 i did x<4 = y<35.5!! not 39.5 argh dunno what i was doing!!

:bawling: i had such high hopes of this exam as well , i thought s2 was easy before today.

ReputationRep:
    what did you all get for question 7??? the two last bits - i got 0.1018 or something, and got 11 for teh number of people (got 9 initally and then did again and got 11) - not sure what is right, if any! - is anyone 100% sure their answer is right? if so what is it?

cheers

Phil

also, for the two randomly selected pages, the error being less than 7 or whatever i got (0.0042)^2 - some people changed the rate by multiplying by two, but i remember it saying two randoply selected paged, so assumedt he events were independent - anyone got a clue what the answer was - was 2 marks for this, but still need then

ReputationRep:
    Q7

0.2 Something don't reject Ho

should be correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    what did you all get for question 7??? the two last bits - i got 0.1018 or something, and got 11 for teh number of people (got 9 initally and then did again and got 11) - not sure what is right, if any! - is anyone 100% sure their answer is right? if so what is it?

cheers

Phil

also, for the two randomly selected pages, the error being less than 7 or whatever i got (0.0042)^2 - some people changed the rate by multiplying by two, but i remember it saying two randoply selected paged, so assumedt he events were independent - anyone got a clue what the answer was - was 2 marks for this, but still need then

i know the events were independant put if wouldnt the average still be doubled over too pages, that is what i did doubled λ then looked it up in the tables. as for the 9 or 11 for the last part i got 10 so did my mates, i just presumed this was right cause other people got it as well :p:

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm... i ddnt reject H0 cos the value i got was 0.21... which is > 0.05therfore not in Critical region... so do not reject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savioahang)
    Q7

0.2 Something don't reject Ho

should be correct.
    o wait actually i didnt reject h0 i kept it it was my mate afterwards trying to convince me that you DID reject h0. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKe)
    hmmmm... i ddnt reject H0 cos the value i got was 0.21... which is > 0.05therfore not in Critical region... so do not reject?

Yeah!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKe)
    i got 0.2 something *judges how well she did by everyone else* although we could all have just made the same mistakes!

ReputationRep:
    For the last question i got x<9.

or x less or equal to 8

ReputationRep:
    Question 6 was evil!!! It just didn't work! Got the median to be 1.08 by trial and improvement!! Aaaargh! Not good!

For 7 I reversed it and got 9 people.

Everything else was fine just q6 and maybe q7 were hard.

ReputationRep:
    Me too, yay!

I didn't reject the first part, 20%! It's usually closer than that!

ReputationRep:
    How come it was 9?

I am sure 10 is right... but you guys...?

ReputationRep:
    Damn it.

That was the worst S2 exam I've ever seen.

I finished questions 1 to 5 in 20 minutes and then got stuck on finding the median and the mode in question 6. I couldn't find the mode because I didn't remember the formula d(f(x))/dx = 0 and I got to 2m^2 + m^4/4 = 2 for the median and couldn't solve it. I lost about 9 marks on that question

For the last part of question 7 I got 9.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 24, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.