Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all
    I'm getting a laptop for uni as an 18th birthday present, and Dell are currently doing offers on laptops, so I'm checking out specs and these are the specs of the machine I'm considering:

Intel Centrino Monile Technology with Intel Pentium M Processor 735 (1.70 GHz 2MB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB) & Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 (202.11b)
    (I understood like every second spec of that....)
    Microsoft Windows XP Home
    512MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM
    60GB Hard Drive
    15" Display
    8xDVD+RW Drive
    56k Modem
    plus some year's warranty thing and a free 512MB Memory Key (which I assume is the same as a memory stick, yeah?)

Firstly, this seems a decent enough laptop, what would you technology people think about it? I'm going to be using it for the usual word processing and the like that one uses them for at uni, as well as a clunky mp3 player, and a games machine.

I've been told you need ethernet ports to connect up to uni networks, and that most new PCs and laptops come with these as standard. Is this correct?
    From the specs, would I be able to have my own wireless net connection if I ended up in Abertay's halls which despicably don't have internet connections?
    Do Dell supply reasonably decent graphics cards in laptops? If not, can you get new graphics cards to go in laptops?

ReputationRep:
    I've been told you need ethernet ports to connect up to uni networks, and that most new PCs and laptops come with these as standard. Is this correct?
    I would be very suprised if it didnt come with an ethernet connection built in. If it didnt then i think you can get cards that plug into your laptop and give you an ethernet connection.
    From the specs, would I be able to have my own wireless net connection if I ended up in Abertay's halls which despicably don't have internet connections?
    Its Intel Centrino so it has built in wireless technology, however, this doesnt mean you can use the internet anywhere (correct me if im wrong ...). You will need to be in range of a wireless hotspot so you might wanna find out if there are any about at that uni.
    Do Dell supply reasonably decent graphics cards in laptops? If not, can you get new graphics cards to go in laptops?
    Not sure what they come with but the website should tell you. As for upgrading them, its unlikely i would say. Ive got onboard graphics on my laptop and theres no way to upgrade it

ReputationRep:
    Its Intel Centrino so it has built in wireless technology
    Yeah, but remeber that when buying laptops. It will be hard to find one without wireless, even if it isn't a Centrino

For games, just get a laptop with a AMD64 processor, 1Gb of RAM and a half decent graphics card and you'll be laughing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Hello all
    I'm getting a laptop for uni as an 18th birthday present, and Dell are currently doing offers on laptops, so I'm checking out specs and these are the specs of the machine I'm considering:

Intel Centrino Monile Technology with Intel Pentium M Processor 735 (1.70 GHz 2MB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB) & Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 (202.11b)
    (I understood like every second spec of that....)
    Microsoft Windows XP Home
    512MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM
    60GB Hard Drive
    15" Display
    8xDVD+RW Drive
    56k Modem
    plus some year's warranty thing and a free 512MB Memory Key (which I assume is the same as a memory stick, yeah?)

Firstly, this seems a decent enough laptop, what would you technology people think about it? I'm going to be using it for the usual word processing and the like that one uses them for at uni, as well as a clunky mp3 player, and a games machine.

In my opinion, it's a good laptop! It's good that you selected Dell as it's good for performance and price. It would be sufficient for working (e.g. word processing) and games. For mp3's it depends how many you have. I'm sure you will fit them all in anyway.

Yes, you will need an ethernet port to connect to the internet, and all laptops will have them. You will need to buy your own cable. This website will show you the cable you need: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...%2EblesGray%2F You can find this cable in PC World for example. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...1&tm=undefined

You are allowed to have your own internet connection if your halls don't have any. It could be wireless if you want. Most laptops including your's include some wireless connection features.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your help
    I've been browsing with your tips in mind and have found a few systems, but none that really tell me anything about graphics cards :mad: (think alienware might have but they're way out of my price range unfortunately).
    Any suggestions of places online that usually specify what graphics cards are in machines?

ReputationRep:
    What model are you getting? I am gonna get a dell laptop for uni too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your help
    I've been browsing with your tips in mind and have found a few systems, but none that really tell me anything about graphics cards :mad: (think alienware might have but they're way out of my price range unfortunately).
    Any suggestions of places online that usually specify what graphics cards are in machines?
    You're welcome.

It depends what kind of games you want to play. Give us some examples of games you might want to play on your laptop. Therefore, we could suggest some graphics card.

Yeah, Alienware computers are very expensive, and they are designed for gaming. If you don't play games that much, you should just buy an ordinary brand laptop. Some Alienware laptops have a decent price, and are less than £1000. http://www.alienware.co.uk/Product_P...l_default.aspx

What is your price range by the way?

ReputationRep:
    The dell laptop in my original post is 579 exc vat, 680 inc vat and my mum reckons something around that price.
    I play quite a variety of games, and some are old ones that'll go on any PC. The more graphics heavy ones I have are things like Star Wars Galaxies (thought I might not bother with that when I go to uni) and Thief 3.
    I'm looking for 512MB RAM, obviously more would be nice, but the price range is a bit prohibitive of anymore, and I'd like a harddrive of 60GB or more (Apparently I absorb hard disk space ) And a decent graphics card.
    I wish you could build laptops

ReputationRep:
    Its best to forget games on a laptop, you really need a desktop to this, and to be honest any second hand £300 laptop should be more than good enough for all university work unless you want to advanced 3D modelling on it or somthing.

I managed to complete an ASP.NET web services assignment on a PIII 733 with 256MB RAM with no problems, the base unit is worth about £50

ReputationRep:
    Intel® Celeron® M 350(1.30GHz 1MB L2 cache 400MHz FSB)& ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300 graphics
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home SP2
    768MB 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory (1x512MB + 1x256MB)
    64MB DDR ATI MOBILITY® RADEON® X300
    40GB (5.400rpm) IDE Hard Drive
    24x CDRW/24x DVD Combo Drive

For £667 excluding vat
    Able to game on it?

ReputationRep:
    Intel® Celeron® M 350(1.30GHz 1MB L2 cache 400MHz FSB)& ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300 graphics
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home SP2
    768MB 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory (1x512MB + 1x256MB)
    64MB DDR ATI MOBILITY® RADEON® X300
    40GB (5.400rpm) IDE Hard Drive
    24x CDRW/24x DVD Combo Drive

For £667 excluding vat
    Able to game on it?
    Sadly not, it will probably play GTA3 just about, but it will be quite jumpy, if you stick it into low res you might get away with it, there are worse laptops out there for games, but that Celeron is going to be pretty slow as well, although the 1mb L2 cache will be a big benefit.

For the money it dosn't seem too bad, but just don't expect to able to play DOOM III on it

ReputationRep:
    Well, looks like I won't be playing Doum 3 at uni
    Mum decided we'd take the special offer ending today so I've just got off the phone to the lovely (!!) Dell salespeople
    My new baby will be arriving in 7-10 days! Woohoo! {hugs everyone}

ReputationRep:
    Well, looks like I won't be playing Doum 3 at uni
    Mum decided we'd take the special offer ending today so I've just got off the phone to the lovely (!!) Dell salespeople
    My new baby will be arriving in 7-10 days! Woohoo! {hugs everyone}
    I hope you bought the first one and not the celeron? And the 512mb memory key will be a little stick that plugs into a usb port and is like a really small hard drive or really big cd or floppy disk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    the 512mb memory key will be a little stick that plugs into a usb port and is like a really small hard drive or really big cd or floppy disk.
    Actually, it'll be like quite a small CD, Moncal :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarkey_Berlin)
    Actually, it'll be like quite a small CD, Moncal :p:
    Oh sorry. I was thinking that a cd could hold like 256. I guess they hold like 768 or so?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its around 700

ReputationRep:
    Forget playing games, and get an Apple PowerBook, is what I say. It has almost everything included (wireless connectivity (through Airport Extreme) etc.).

Although, it's funny I say it can't play games, because the laptop you're thinking of getting is unlikely to be able to run Doom 3, but the Apple PowerBook can...funny, that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Forget playing games, and get an Apple PowerBook
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Shhh, you.

A PowerBook is what you want for working at University.

ReputationRep:
    He has a point. If all I wanted was Office and to play MP3's i'd like a Powerbook. Over any Celeron/Pentium M based Laptop anyway

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.