Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    as i said in the other thread, apple are gonna be using intel processors soon, as their own are not competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    And the 512mb memory key will be a little stick that plugs into a usb port and is like a really small hard drive or really big cd or floppy disk.
    So a memory stick like I said then? :p: I use them frequently as all my friends have at least one, I just wasn't sure of the name.

My problem with Apple is that they don't seem to be compatible with most software and games from what I've read and been told. Certainly none of the games I own would be, and I hardly want to buy something that's not going to play my precious Baldur's Gate 2 :eek:

Anyway the specs seem to be good enough for Morrowind, NeverWinter Nights and Star Wars Galaxies, and most of my games aren't as touchy as those so My laptop's going to rule!

Any tips on the best method to transfer my files over from this PC?

ReputationRep:
    DVD or an network cable are the 2 quickest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    So a memory stick like I said then? :p: I use them frequently as all my friends have at least one, I just wasn't sure of the name.

My problem with Apple is that they don't seem to be compatible with most software and games from what I've read and been told. Certainly none of the games I own would be, and I hardly want to buy something that's not going to play my precious Baldur's Gate 2 :eek:

Anyway the specs seem to be good enough for Morrowind, NeverWinter Nights and Star Wars Galaxies, and most of my games aren't as touchy as those so My laptop's going to rule!

I play NeverWinter Nights too!

Yeah, the laptop you are going to buy will be good on what you are going to do (i.e. games and word processing, etc...). I'm planning to buy a HP laptop, however, lots of people seem to consider Dell, and I am kind of changing my mind a bit. lol.

I would recommend you to buy this cable to transfer files over from your PC to the laptop. It's called an ethernet cable (that cable could be used to conenct to the internet at uni, as I said before): http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...2&tm=undefined

ReputationRep:
    If you're connecting from computer to computer directly, then you will need a cross-wired ethernet cable not a patch cable!

ReputationRep:
    Acaila- get it from the US when you go. It's so much cheaper! (but you might have to forgo the service options...)

I got an Inspiron 9300 for <$2000 after I found a $750 off coupon on www.dealcoupon.com. I would also buy the RAM from a thirdparty company and install it yourself- the installation is simple and it works out a LOT cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    I've already ordered it visesh
    trev - NWN is overshadowed in my eyes by Bioware's other games, and by the fact that I waited several years for not enjoying it I hate 3rd edition rules!

Regarding an ethernet cable, I'll need one for uni anyway, so is there a kind that will both transfer files and allow me that connection? Also, approximately how much are they?

ReputationRep:
    trev - NWN is overshadowed in my eyes by Bioware's other games, and by the fact that I waited several years for not enjoying it I hate 3rd edition rules!

Regarding an ethernet cable, I'll need one for uni anyway, so is there a kind that will both transfer files and allow me that connection? Also, approximately how much are they?
    i dont think that there is an all-in-one cable. the two cables (I assume you're talking about an ethernet cable and a crossover cable) are wired differently...
    EDIT: they are about 3-5quid i guess

(oh well, it's still a pretty cool laptop:p: )

ReputationRep:

You would need a cross wired ethernet cable was Kingspharm said. http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/CAT603X.htm (it's similar to the ethernet cable to connect to the internet). Make sure you see the label of the cable when you buy it (i.e. cross wired ethernet cable). I'm assuming you are buying the ethernet cable at PC World. If you are, buy that cross wired ethernet cable from there too, they have it.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no! You won't catch me buying anything from PC World!
    So I need an ethernet cable and a crosswired cable, is that right?

ReputationRep:
    Hell no! You won't catch me buying anything from PC World!
    So I need an ethernet cable and a crosswired cable, is that right?
    Yes.

So where are you going to buy the cables?

ReputationRep:
    yup- a bogstandard RJ45 ethernet cable and a Cat5e crossover cable

ReputationRep:
    You're a darling visesh I'm so hopeless with specifics of things

(Original post by trev)
    Yes.

So where are you going to buy the cables?
    First off I'll see if my dad can get me them, if not I'm pretty sure one of his friends will be able to sort me out with a couple of them.

ReputationRep:
    First off I'll see if my dad can get me them, if not I'm pretty sure one of his friends will be able to sort me out with a couple of them.
    Fair enough. If your dad works in some IT or some sort of business, they might have extra ethernet cables to take away. :p:

ReputationRep:
    He owns a business sells that kind of stuff, hence my brand new printer at trade prices, and he said to me not to bother buying a laptop case cos he'll get me one free. Handy.
    I'll just need to check stuff up because, being a dinosaur, he won't know what an ethernet cable is, let alone whether he stocks it.

ReputationRep:
    He owns a business sells that kind of stuff, hence my brand new printer at trade prices, and he said to me not to bother buying a laptop case cos he'll get me one free. Handy.
    I'll just need to check stuff up because, being a dinosaur, he won't know what an ethernet cable is, let alone whether he stocks it.
    Cool. Don't worry, your dad will know, as you will show him the website that I posted. Therefore, he will know how the cable looks like.

ReputationRep:
    Would that be the second one you posted? The first one was the wrong cable right?

I think I'll just go search his database. If he can get me them, the details visesh gave me should be enough. And I'm sure his friends would know exactly what I mean as soon as I said it.

ReputationRep:
    Would that be the second one you posted? The first one was the wrong cable right?

I think I'll just go search his database. If he can get me them, the details visesh gave me should be enough. And I'm sure his friends would know exactly what I mean as soon as I said it.
    The second one I posted is the one to copy files from your PC to laptop (i.e. cross wired ethernet cable). The link that I posted first (i.e. ethernet cable -connect to the internet - pc world website link) is to connect to the internet.

ReputationRep:
    {sniggers} PC World....

ReputationRep:
    {sniggers} PC World....
    No need to buy it from PC World. I just posted that link to show you how the cable looks like.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.