The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Yo Bro u didn't answer my question about weightlifting shoes -I feel left out :frown:

In-case u didn't read it, do u think I should nail my bare footed squat form before considering squatting shoes (the ones with the heels) or should I invest in squatting shoes now to improve my balance/depth ect
Reply 2121
Hey guys,

I started trying to make my arms bigger than they are now 9seems small compared to the rest of my body) and I was told it was best to deadlift and squat to get bigger arms. Is this actually true? I can see why it can happen, just need reassurance really.
In WS4SB rep day it says 3 sets of max reps. What exactly does this mean? Also, I wouldn't call myself a beginner in terms of strength training so could I substitute 8 sets of 3 like on the traditional westside dynamic Bench day?
Original post by Bloodbath
Yo Bro u didn't answer my question about weightlifting shoes -I feel left out :frown:

In-case u didn't read it, do u think I should nail my bare footed squat form before considering squatting shoes (the ones with the heels) or should I invest in squatting shoes now to improve my balance/depth ect

Depends how you squat - for oly squats, front squats and overhead pressing shoes help most people with depth and position.

Original post by Gowrav
Hey guys,

I started trying to make my arms bigger than they are now 9seems small compared to the rest of my body) and I was told it was best to deadlift and squat to get bigger arms. Is this actually true? I can see why it can happen, just need reassurance really.

Yes and no - if you already squat and deadlift etc you will likely have better overall development and handle more weight training arms - you will however need to train arms still.

Original post by Scrappy-coco
In WS4SB rep day it says 3 sets of max reps. What exactly does this mean? Also, I wouldn't call myself a beginner in terms of strength training so could I substitute 8 sets of 3 like on the traditional westside dynamic Bench day?

3 sets of as many reps as you can get of the prescribed excercise and form.

Iwouldn't muck around with it too much to be honest.
Thanks dude, one more question.

You'll probably laugh at this but my form on incline bench whether BB or DB is freakin crap. I mean basically I only feel it in my shoulders. Would it hamper results too much if I was to use the hammer strength incline machine for the max reps. I have tried for months consistently to work on my form.
Stay with it, it does work your delts alot
Reply 2126
Original post by Powerlifter
Yes and no - if you already squat and deadlift etc you will likely have better overall development and handle more weight training arms - you will however need to train arms still.

Well I have never deadlifted until today (realised what a big mistake I have made not doing them..they are awesome!!) and didn't really squat much. Taking that into consideration whether directly or indirectly (through being able to sue more weights on arms) will i see big results in the next 3 months in terms of arms size and overall bulk?

Also thank you for answering my other post :biggrin:
Hi, im a rower of height 5food 8/9 inches, weighing in at a measly 60ish kg. Im male btw.
I train 6-9 times a week, doing normally 2 sessions of weights (this has been stopped due to exams) , 2 sessions on the rowing machine (stopped due to exams) and 2-5 sessions of rowing a week.
Im in my exams rite now and row every day except sunday.
I want to increase the power from my legs and arms, and pecs(pretty much my whole body) whilst increasing size.
Ive heard deadlifts are good, but what would u recommend is a good training plan?
Having a break for a while - sure some of the regulars can post answers :-)
Reply 2129
Hey guys, I'm thinking of doing powerlifting for a couple of months to increase my overall strength. Would anyone have a good workout routine? Thanks!
Original post by Gowrav
Hey guys, I'm thinking of doing powerlifting for a couple of months to increase my overall strength. Would anyone have a good workout routine? Thanks!

google starting strength mark rippetoe
How many teaspoons of creapure should I be having? - I don't own a MP small scoop.
Reply 2132
I'm really struggling to decide what workout to start next week. I have made my mind up that I want to do the 5x5 routine. But I am not sure which one to use, does anyone have any recommendations? Also these 5x5 routines, they will get me bulked up fairly quickly as well right? Because from what I read it only improves strength and not much bulking is done.
Thanks!
Reply 2133
lol sofas takes the helm
Original post by Gowrav
I'm really struggling to decide what workout to start next week. I have made my mind up that I want to do the 5x5 routine. But I am not sure which one to use, does anyone have any recommendations? Also these 5x5 routines, they will get me bulked up fairly quickly as well right? Because from what I read it only improves strength and not much bulking is done.
Thanks!

Just begin starting strength the exercises are far more useful (I mean you will be strict pressing and power cleaning for example so just a stones throw away from doing the clean and jerk an excellent compound move).

You squat three days a week and deadlift twice every other week so it's better for legs.
Reply 2135
Original post by DeanK22
Just begin starting strength the exercises are far more useful (I mean you will be strict pressing and power cleaning for example so just a stones throw away from doing the clean and jerk an excellent compound move).

You squat three days a week and deadlift twice every other week so it's better for legs.

I had a look at that and for me it looks too simple. I literally do triple that 4 times a weak. Will this ever so simple routine actually help me bulk up and gain strength better than others? I had a look at SLs 5x5..to me that seems better than SS but still seems too simple. What routine are you currently on?
Original post by Gowrav
I had a look at that and for me it looks too simple. I literally do triple that 4 times a weak. Will this ever so simple routine actually help me bulk up and gain strength better than others? I had a look at SLs 5x5..to me that seems better than SS but still seems too simple. What routine are you currently on?

I can promise you whatever too simple means to you, that it is not.

If you are doing SS at a frequency over four times a week you would probably have to be on something; you're doing 5 reps of a weight you can barely keep good form on for 5 reps, three times. That is tiring. If you are doing that 12 times in one day then my hat is off to you but I would doubt you are trying hard enough.

SS is using basic compound lifts which are far more important.

I am on a Bulgarian lifting regime now but only because I don't have work or a job in the day so I can literally just wake up have whatever food I desire and go to the gym whenever also have naps at any time. Which is pretty good.

http://www.owresource.com/training/bulgarian.php
Reply 2137
Original post by DeanK22
I can promise you whatever too simple means to you, that it is not.

If you are doing SS at a frequency over four times a week you would probably have to be on something; you're doing 5 reps of a weight you can barely keep good form on for 5 reps, three times. That is tiring. If you are doing that 12 times in one day then my hat is off to you but I would doubt you are trying hard enough.

SS is using basic compound lifts which are far more important.

I am on a Bulgarian lifting regime now but only because I don't have work or a job in the day so I can literally just wake up have whatever food I desire and go to the gym whenever also have naps at any time. Which is pretty good.

http://www.owresource.com/training/bulgarian.php

Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to do SL's 5x5, SS is jsut too simple for me, I read on various websites that its for novices as well, so it's no point in me doing them. I believe I will improve faster on the SL routine. Have you come across anyone doign the SL routine and have seen big results?
Reply 2138
Original post by Gowrav
Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to do SL's 5x5, SS is jsut too simple for me, I read on various websites that its for novices as well, so it's no point in me doing them. I believe I will improve faster on the SL routine. Have you come across anyone doign the SL routine and have seen big results?

What're your lifts like?
Reply 2139
Original post by Slumpy
What're your lifts like?

Not to sure, since I ahve changed my routine 3 weeks ago. On bench not sure (I did 80kg fairly easily this week). I'd presume I could lift 90kg+ on that. Squats (started properly last week) is currently at 90kg (I swear no-one does this much at the gym), in terms of leg extenses and stuff I can do full rack and on this machine squat thing, I can do 200kg. Deadlift (done it twice), I managed to do two reps of 90kg. So in terms of squats its very poor, but considering I haven't really done them, i can improve on them very quickly (i.e. from two weeks ago i could do max 70kg, now I can do 90kg). I can incline bench around 70/80 kg. For shoulder press with dumbells I do 25kg on each with a spotter, otherwise 22.5kg by myself.

Quick Reply

Latest