Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    :eek: you're not a pimp in a bordello are you?
    No. I build power plants for a living; turbines that spin round very quickly and make electricity so you can make a nice cup of tea.

Unfortunately, nobody wants power plants built in areas of outstanding natural beauty which is why I always end up in the most god forsaken places in America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Curiosity got the better of me so I attempted to get a definitive answer to that question and this is the first link I came up with;

http://www.republic.org.uk/news/news12.htm

If you've got the energy have a peep and see what you can glean from it.
    It doesn't say anything about the ownership of Buck House, oly about the Art collection which is held in trust for the state. Anyway, much of it was taken up with predictions that if the monarchy was abolished then the Queen would take some Rembrandts with her as she got on the plane to Canada, never to return.

(Original post by Howard)
    No. I build power plants for a living; turbines that spin round very quickly and make electricity so you can make a nice cup of tea.

Unfortunately, nobody wants power plants built in areas of outstanding natural beauty which is why I always end up in the most god forsaken places in America.
    Aww - bless you for being so magnanimous and doing something for us all in such awful living conditions.

You are earning your eternal reward, brother.

(Original post by Lord Waddell)
    It doesn't say anything about the ownership of Buck House, oly about the Art collection which is held in trust for the state. Anyway, much of it was taken up with predictions that if the monarchy was abolished then the Queen would take some Rembrandts with her as she got on the plane to Canada, never to return.
    OK - thanks for having a look anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Aww - bless you for being so magnanimous and doing something for us all in such awful living conditions.

You are earning your eternal reward, brother.
    For the benefit of you all I do this. Think about me every time you flick a switch and be grateful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Correction, companies may want to build power plants in remote and scenic areas, but many environmentalists would prefer that power plants are built in squalid, but populated areas. It's better to pollute people than to pollute nature. :rolleyes:

(Original post by psychic_satori)
    Correction, companies may want to build power plants in remote and scenic areas, but many environmentalists would prefer that power plants in squalid, but populated areas. It's better to pollute people than to pollute nature. :rolleyes:
    That sounds a little cyncial - even from you, psychic_satori.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Correction, companies may want to build power plants in remote and scenic areas, but many environmentalists would prefer that power plants in squalid, but populated areas.
    Hence I find myself in East St.Louis which in Latin translates into "squalid and populated" (In fact it probably means "populated by the squalid")

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    That sounds a little cyncial - even from you, psychic_satori.
    The county that I born in has two of the top 4 polluting power plants in the country...I'm allowed to be cynical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I have no reason to doubt what you say as I know no better - I could find out but I'm too lethargic due to the sultry night!

But I would like you to verify something for me - who owns 'Buck House'?
    Buckingham Palace is owned by the Queen.

Curiosity got the better of me so I attempted to get a definitive answer to that question and this is the first link I came up with;

http://www.republic.org.uk/news/news12.htm

If you've got the energy have a peep and see what you can glean from it.
    Oh, a delightfully objective source, I see.

There is no practical reason for separating the property of the head of state and Elizabeth II. The Queen is the Queen after all. And the Royal Collection is a great asset no matter who it belongs to - often the Royal Collection provides a life-line to galleries that would be overlooked and have its requests for displays turned down by other art owners.

(Original post by LibertineNorth)

Oh, a delightfully objective source, I see.

My, you are paranoid, aren't you? :rolleyes:

I typed the question into 'google search' box and it was the first link that came up, so I naturally provided it to the thread.
    If any other link had been at the head, I would have provided that one too.

I'm not sure you are correct in saying that the Queen has ownership of Buckingham Palace so I'll dig deeper in an attempt to prove you wrong - just out of spite, you see.

(Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Buckingham Palace is owned by the Queen.
    Oh dear - it seems you are wrong! :rolleyes:

Queenie owns Balmoral and Sandringham

The country (people) own;
    Buckingham Palace
    Kensington Palace
    Windsor Castle
    Frogmore House
    Palace of Holyroodhouse
    St. James's Palace

All of a sudden I feel very wealthy! I should do a Rachmann and evict her!

http://www.iforbach.demon.co.uk/liz_does_the_biz.htm

Incidentally, before you cry 'bias' again - this is the only link that answers the question definitively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    The country (people) own;
    Buckingham Palace
    Kensington Palace
    Windsor Castle
    Frogmore House
    Palace of Holyroodhouse
    St. James's Palace
    Actually they're owned by The Crown, and are therefore the property of the Queen (as the embodiment of the crown) for the duration of her reign.

(Original post by Chrism)
    Actually they're owned by The Crown, and are therefore the property of the Queen (as the embodiment of the crown) for the duration of her reign.
    So it's on 'loan' to her - rather than in her ownership as is Balmoral and Sandringham?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Crown property is effectively the property of the reigning monarch though its disposal is restricted compared to that of propety owned by the Queen in her private capacity.

Sandringham is the property of Elizabeth Windsor, Buckhinham Palace is the property of the Queen, who happens to be Elizabeth Windsor.

Not really. Crown property is effectively the property of the reigning monarch though its disposal is restricted compared to that of propety owned by the Queen in her private capacity
    So the palace cannot be sold or disposed of by the monarch?

ReputationRep:
    I think it could, however any profit would not be their personal profit but that of the crown.

I think it could, however any profit would not be their personal profit but that of the crown.
    Now this is what I don't understand.

If property belongs to the monarch, how can it belong to the 'crown'. If it belongs to the 'crown' and yet never belongs to an individual then surely, in essence it does not belong to the 'crown' either.

In other words, it remains, in perpetuity, to the country.

ReputationRep:
    The monarch is the embodiment of the Crown. The two are linked.

ReputationRep:
    sw a ducumentary about henry 8th on teh history channel today! man were the royals powerful 500 years ago; good job they dont have that sort of authority nowadays huh?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.