Turn on thread page Beta

Mickey Mouse degrees watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Which (if any) of these subjefcts do you consider to be 'mickey mouse' subjects at degree level???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

http://www.absforums.com/flash03/fla...sheep.com).swf

http://69.93.111.150/albino_flash06/...sheep.com).swf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Which (if any) of these subjefcts do you consider to be 'mickey mouse' subjects at degree level???

Philosophy??!!???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Philosophy??!!???
    Yes - in fact the purpose of this poll is to prove a friend of mine wrong. I am reading philosophy and she said it is a mickey mouse degree which it obviously isn't!!! Anyway, she can talk, she's reading geography!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes - in fact the purpose of this poll is to prove a friend of mine wrong. I am reading philosophy and she said it is a mickey mouse degree which it obviously isn't!!! Anyway, she can talk, she's reading geography!!!

Philsophy is more highly regarded than Geography (in my opinion) but Maths tops them all!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think possibly you're a little biased????? lol

what about classics???? think i should have included that??? charles clarke seems to think so.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes if can depend on the institution........

Take media for instance:

At some former Poly, as opposed to the Media/Com course at MIT, which is likely to require first rate marks for entry.

ReputationRep:
    I think possibly you're a little biased????? lol

what about classics???? think i should have included that??? charles clarke seems to think so.

So true Anyone who doesn't appreciate the greatness of classics, or any other degree that actually teaches you to think with precision and independence, is obviously a complete philistine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    So true Anyone who doesn't appreciate the greatness of classics, or any other degree that actually teaches you to think with precision and independence, is obviously a complete philistine

I think most people 'appreciate' in some shape or form. Usually the criticism, is not on the grounds that it's wortheless per se, rather that it doesn't add as much to ones employment prospects. This criticism falsely assumes that every soul on gods green earth is seeking to work for some large company. I think that's the confusion with subjects like Philosophy/Classics.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    she's reading geography!!!
    hehe colouring in degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    hehe colouring in degree
    Y do people do geography? What do they do with it after exactly (all i can think of is to become a geography teacher, lol!) Media studies is defo a mickey mouse degree!

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    It all depends.

And that's about as deep as I am willing to go, less I be drawn deep into the argument and get lynched by a mob of angry <insert subject here> students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    It all depends.

And that's about as deep as I am willing to go, less I be drawn deep into the argument and get lynched by a mob of angry <insert subject here> students.
    LOL!!!! A very safe answer there Android killer!

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Philsophy is more highly regarded than Geography (in my opinion) but Maths tops them all!!!

yupeeee!!!

but the only problem here is its all well and good doing a maths degree- but i now actually have to pass it!!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    but the only problem here is its all well and good doing a maths degree- but i now actually have to pass it!!!
    Hmm... problematic...

ReputationRep:
    Actually, Geography is the best, most employable degree to do that isn't vocational, like Medicine, Law, Dentistry etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Any degree is good if it allows you to do something worthwhile afterwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Actually, Geography is the best, most employable degree to do that isn't vocational, like Medicine, Law, Dentistry etc etc
    Er.....no.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jammyd)
    If you look at the first destination survey some of the most employable graduates (outside of medicine/dentistry etc) are....
    media studies (11.5% unemployment rate compared to 17.3% for geography)
    Law has a rate of 10.5%, sociology 15.6%, physics 16.5%, biology 17.1%, IT 21.9%, electronic and electrical engineering 20.2%, civil engineering 12%, history 16.7%, english 14.3%, languages 16.3%, accountancy 13.1% etc etc

source

ReputationRep:
    Media Studies and Psychology are Mickey Mouse overcrowded degrees full of Students at polys; they will be utterly useless to an employer; a waste of 3 years.

To let psychology escape its Mickey Mouse image it should be harder to get into; so less able students wont be able to get near it; and it should be more demanding altogether.

Philosophy however is a very academic respected subject.

It no longer matters if you have a degree now; thanks to Labour it matters what class and what subject you did your degree in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    Any degree is good if it allows you to do something worthwhile afterwards
    I agree but you have to enjoy what you do.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.