Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    a) existentialism is A philosophy
    b) that person would be talking out of their arse
    c) a science is automatically harder than non-scientific subjects? er, thats rubbish.
    I know this.
    I am just making the point that some people will see it like this.

ReputationRep:
    a) existentialism is A philosophy
    b) that person would be talking out of their arse
    c) a science is automatically harder than non-scientific subjects? er, thats rubbish.
    Very True. Out of interest, which philosophers do you admire/enjoy reading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empedocles)
    Very True. Out of interest, which philosophers do you admire/enjoy reading?
    off the top of my head.
    bacon, hayek, de stael, nietzsche, lamarck, spinoza, machiavelli, burke..

ReputationRep:
    off the top of my head.
    bacon, hayek, de stael, nietzsche, lamarck, spinoza, machiavelli, burke..
    Impressive.

ReputationRep:
    BTW History is by far the best degree out of them all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    BTW History is by far the best degree out of them all.

I second that motion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Philsophy is more highly regarded than Geography (in my opinion) but Maths tops them all!!!
    what about my beloved physics??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I think possibly you're a little biased????? lol

what about classics???? think i should have included that??? charles clarke seems to think so.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Someone just told me that Classics at Oxford is supposed to be the hardest degree you can take in the UK - is that true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsboy)
    what about my beloved physics??
    Good, but no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    Y do people do geography? What do they do with it after exactly (all i can think of is to become a geography teacher, lol!) Media studies is defo a mickey mouse degree!

xxxx
    Geography happens to have the 2nd highest employment rate for all non-vocational subjects here. 1.9% are still jobseeking 6 months after graduation compated to 5.5% overall.

Very few actually do anything 'with' Geography, but it's the same for many other subjects including History and PPE. I'm looking at a career in the music industry right now, eg promotion & marketing for Universal, EMI, Sony... it doesn't have to match the degree taken.

What employers like is that the degree content makes for rounded individuals - in the first year I did a statistics exam, a literature paper, covered biology (ecology), sociology (class and gender), physics (climatology) etc.

It's baffling that people seriously think colouring in is involved in the degree. In fact the Mods exam I sat last year consisted of 13 essays ranging from ecological imperialism to denudation rates. And 1 map which involved converting satellite pixels etc etc rather than colouring in the sea blue and grass green...

ReputationRep:
    How the hell is geography a 'Micky Mouse' degree? And everyone who takes psychology knows that it isn't easy, the only people who say it is are the people who dont do it

ReputationRep:
    Use the jargon all you want Jools, I doubt it will change anyone's opinion of the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Philsophy is more highly regarded than Geography (in my opinion) but Maths tops them all!!!
    I think to most a Maths degree is the most impressive, but I would prefer to have a good philosophy degree because it requires rigorous thoughts in the arts(political, aesthetics etc.) and the sciences (mathematical logic, scientific method.)

I met a girl who was scheduled to get a 1st at maths in cambridge (3rd year), she is going off to harvard on a scholarship afterw her degree, very intelligent (she told me that apparently the top 5 people at maths in cambridge are a cut above all the rest, as in, geniuses, the next 45 or so are 'just' exceptional )

ReputationRep:
    i always thought physics was the most employable non-vocational degree.

Anyway, the only proper degrees are med and vet med.

ReputationRep:
    i've decided that language students are the only arts students that arn't total dossers. Eg most history peeps have 4-6 hours lectures a week. theology 5, english 6. To be honest i think that takes the piss ever so slightly. I get just as much reading as them but triple the lectures (before anyone starts i know all you sciency people get loads more but from my experience you don't have so much homework). The medics in my block have no sympathy.However, although they try to convince me that their timetable is oh so hard, since the begining of the year they've virtually had 3 full weeks off, a clinical week where they 1/2 days in the hospital and virtually no homework. No fair!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    It's baffling that people seriously think colouring in is involved in the degree. In fact the Mods exam I sat last year consisted of 13 essays ranging from ecological imperialism to denudation rates. And 1 map which involved converting satellite pixels etc etc rather than colouring in the sea blue and grass green...
    This is true because it used to be the fact that when at about 1980's a whole term's work consisted of colouring in a map of the weorld and labelling it with geographical features. So thats why it is famous with colouring in.

ReputationRep:
    i think wine studies is a mickey mouse degree!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Geography happens to have the 2nd highest employment rate for all non-vocational subjects here. 1.9% are still jobseeking 6 months after graduation compated to 5.5% overall.

Very few actually do anything 'with' Geography, but it's the same for many other subjects including History and PPE. I'm looking at a career in the music industry right now, eg promotion & marketing for Universal, EMI, Sony... it doesn't have to match the degree taken.

What employers like is that the degree content makes for rounded individuals - in the first year I did a statistics exam, a literature paper, covered biology (ecology), sociology (class and gender), physics (climatology) etc.

Again Jools is spot on with his views and information. As he points out, Geography makes a rounded graduate with sound knowledge in subjects he mentions, like biology, sociology and physics.

People who think that all you can do with Geography are incredibly narrow-minded. The majority of graduates go in to work nothing like what they did in their degree, which is why the trend now is for 'good' subjects at respected universities, and perhaps most important, a good degree classification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Someone just told me that Classics at Oxford is supposed to be the hardest degree you can take in the UK - is that true?
    Hmmm I don't know. I know a couple of Classicists and they don't seem to get as much work as me but what they do get is damn hard. I suppose it depends on the person; some people are more suited to Classics than others.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Use the jargon all you want Jools, I doubt it will change anyone's opinion of the subject.
    Fair enough. In the same way, no defence of Media Studies will shake off it's 'mickey mouse' reputation for the next few years. It's a big shame for those genuinely interested in what is a decent subject; one key reason for the bad stigma being the ton of clearing places for Media each year. Cut the places to reduce the excess unwanted graduates and stop the degree being so devalued.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.