Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe Media Studies is a Mickey Mouse degree, yeah I know laugh at the journalism degree girl but if you think about it, who is the predominant party that are ****ging off this degree?
    Journalists? Now, I wonder...what can a Media Studies degree entail? Picking apart the media, deciding that the newspapers are a load of biased rubbish? Seeing who finances them and how they make their desicions, going onto write documentaries that show the flaws in their system and generally call them spin-doctors?

Now why would the media want to **** of those people?

Isn't it a known fact that most people in jobs are being pushed out for University graduates, fresh, new, unbiased, a piece of clay to be moulded into the image of their employer?

Now why would journalists and another media industry forerunners want to discredit a degree like that?

Oh and because of the press people are taking it as a doss subject which in turn they don't do, which brings the grade boundaries down, which entails a less prestigous degree/A-Level/GCSE...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    I don't believe Media Studies is a Mickey Mouse degree, yeah I know laugh at the journalism degree girl but if you think about it, who is the predominant party that are ****ging off this degree?
    Journalists? Now, I wonder...what can a Media Studies degree entail? Picking apart the media, deciding that the newspapers are a load of biased rubbish? Seeing who finances them and how they make their desicions, going onto write documentaries that show the flaws in their system and generally call them spin-doctors?

Now why would the media want to **** of those people?

Isn't it a known fact that most people in jobs are being pushed out for University graduates, fresh, new, unbiased, a piece of clay to be moulded into the image of their employer?

Now why would journalists and another media industry forerunners want to discredit a degree like that?

Oh and because of the press people are taking it as a doss subject which in turn they don't do, which brings the grade boundaries down, which entails a less prestigous degree/A-Level/GCSE...

I agree, the study of media is vital. Particularly looking at matters of media regulation, ownership, and in addition into what's covered and more importantly what's ignored by the (mainstream) media. People who wave the 'Mickey Mouse' label around are often very ignorant. Although, with most degree's it would seem, whether it is, or is not deemed to be 'mickey mouse' depends on the institution. For instance, Margaret Hodge isn't likely to refer to the study of media at MIT as 'Mickey Mouse', I think it's an institution specific criticism. The feeling is that those at the former poly's that are studying media are not actually likely to have any particularly important position within the media. Then again, that criticism could then apply to those studying Banking, Finance, Law, or Government at the former poly's

Also it was ironic that the Sun declare Media Studies as being 'Mickey Mouse'. That's one of the most blatent acts of hypocrisy I've ever encountered, particularly when one considers the 'intellectual value' of the Sun itself! It's not even worthy of the title 'Mickey Mouse'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Also it was ironic that the Sun declare Media Studies as being 'Mickey Mouse'. That's one of the most blatent acts of hypocrisy I've ever encountered, particularly when one considers the 'intellectual value' of the Sun itself! It's not even worthy of the title 'Mickey Mouse'!
    The Sport has to be the worst paper. Ever. Picked it up in a rush as it had "5p" in huge writing on the front, not knowing "Buy this paper for 40p and get a free magazine for..." was the fineprint. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    The Sport has to be the worst paper. Ever. Picked it up in a rush as it had "5p" in huge writing on the front, not knowing "Buy this paper for 40p and get a free magazine for..." was the fineprint. :mad:
    That's really crap. Still you shouldn't have bought the Sport anyway; feeding into institutionalised misogyny :mad:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)

That has to be the single most pathetic excuse I can think of!!! Waaaaait, soooo, you saw the '5p', but couldn't you tell from the rather 'sporting' picture on the cover as to what the paper was likely to be about? Shocker!that sounds like the kind of excuse one may offer their g/f after having been caught with a copy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    That has to be the single most pathetic excuse I can think of!!! Waaaaait, soooo, you saw the '5p', but couldn't you tell from the rather 'sporting' picture on the cover as to what the paper was likely to be about? Shocker!that sounds like the kind of excuse one may offer their g/f after having been caught with a copy!
    yup, stupid excuse!!!!! i will never understand ppl who read crappy tabloids, let alone the sport!!! what is the point???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    yup, stupid excuse!!!!! i will never understand ppl who read crappy tabloids, let alone the sport!!! what is the point???

Stimulation, not the intellectual kind mind you...

On second thoughts, ask Jools!

ReputationRep:

Lol. I do actually read tabloids, if I just want to chill in the JCR I'd rather pick up an A3 easily readable piece of trash than the 'intellectual stimulation' provided by the broadsheets, which I normally read online in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Stimulation, not the intellectual kind mind you...

On second thoughts, ask Jools!
    lol ok then jools, y did u buy it in the 1st place??? its pathetic!!!!

ReputationRep:
    lol ok then jools, y did u buy it in the 1st place??? its pathetic!!!!

Well I didn't know that at the time...

A lesson learnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Well I didn't know that at the time...

A lesson learnt.

Hey its ok, when I was 14 (or thereabouts) I thought the Sport was about...er.....Sport! God, who knows why I had made such an absurd assumption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Hey its ok, when I was 14 (or thereabouts) I thought the Sport was about...er.....Sport! God, who knows why I had made such an absurd assumption.
    I didn't actually realise the absurd amount of boobs in it, I just remember it on HIGNFY with the headline "Donkey Robs Bank" and thought it'd be quite funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I didn't actually realise the absurd amount of boobs in it, I just remember it on HIGNFY with the headline "Donkey Robs Bank" and thought it'd be quite funny.
    WTF???? A donkey robbed a bank??? Alone???? How???? I am now intrigued...

harmless historian wants to take me on a date

ReputationRep:
    WTF???? A donkey robbed a bank??? Alone???? How???? I am now intrigued...

harmless historian wants to take me on a date

Go for it, there's surely nothing to lose just meeting the guy.

ReputationRep:
    He'll probably kill me, but here he is:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)

Haha omg!!!! Lol you've not only sent it to me, you've posted it so that all UK-L traffic can see it lol!!!! he IS gonna kill u!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)

lol!

That is a very funny picture.

ReputationRep:
    Haha omg!!!! Lol you've not only sent it to me, you've posted it so that all UK-L traffic can see it lol!!!! he IS gonna kill u!!!

Oops... :rolleyes:

Well I've started so I'll finish...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)

:eek: :eek:
    Oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)

Lol that photo is crazy - is that really him?????

Jools you can't be trusted with anything lol!!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.