The Student Room Group

Studying abroad from doing international management at warwick

Im applying to do international management at warwick and am wondering about the studying abroad year.

Is studying abroad compulsory for this course? And if not, how many people usually go abroad to study?
Reply 1
Original post by krups100
im applying to do international management at warwick and am wondering about the studying abroad year.

Is studying abroad compulsory for this course? And if not, how many people usually go abroad to study?

id love to know the answer to this:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by max25
id love to know the answer to this:smile:

Hey just saw you quoted me on here

Im in my second year at warwick now doing international management and im actually going to sydney on my year abroad in july.

There are about 40 people who start the course and everyone gets to go abroad, whether its to study or work. The university has about 20 partnerships with unis in other countries, with some in Europe, such as in Milan, Copenhagen, Budapest, Rotterdam, Rouen and Rennes. You would go to these under the ERASMUS scheme.

The options outside of Europe include America (Cornell, Wharton, Richmond, Wisconsin Madison), Australia (Sydney, Monash which is in Melbourne), China (Guanghua, Fudan, HKUST) and Canada (UBC, McGill, York).

The uni are also working on new partnerships so by the time you come there may be even more options.

Through the first year, some people decide the year abroad is not for them while some people on other courses in the business school decide they want to go abroad and if they have done well enough in first year the numbers usually change.

You also have to pick your choices in order of preference and the track record has been that everyone gets their 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice of uni as each uni ranges in places available from 1-5. Nobody gets below that and there is a fair split of people who decide to take the whole year out to get a placement for a year working for a company instead of studying at a uni abroad.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Reply 3
Original post by Krups100

Im in my second year at warwick now doing international management and im actually going to sydney on my year abroad in july.

There are about 40 people who start the course and everyone gets to go abroad, whether its to study or work. The university has about 20 partnerships with unis in other countries, with some in Europe, such as in Milan, Copenhagen, Budapest, Rotterdam, Rouen and Rennes. You would go to these under the ERASMUS scheme.

The options outside of Europe include America (Cornell, Wharton, Richmond, Wisconsin Madison), Australia (Sydney, Monash which is in Melbourne), China (Guanghua, Fudan, HKUST) and Canada (UBC, McGill, York).

The uni are also working on new partnerships so by the time you come there may be even more options.

Through the first year, some people decide the year abroad is not for them while some people on other courses in the business school decide they want to go abroad and if they have done well enough in first year the numbers usually change.

You also have to pick your choices in order of preference and the track record has been that everyone gets their 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice of uni as each uni ranges in places available from 1-5. Nobody gets below that and there is a fair split of people who decide to take the whole year out to get a placement for a year working for a company instead of studying at a uni abroad.

Very useful answer (+rep)!
If I may ask more questions...(my daughter has an offer^^)

On what basis are students selected? grades, written appli (project), interview?
she told me the uni charges 1/2 tuition fees during that year if one does a placement, is that right, sounds still steep!?

What if the student is able to find a uni exchange by himself in a reputable uni? would that be negotiable with WBS? has it ever happened?
thx!
Reply 4

thank you soo much! this is my dream course im thinking haha, just wondering what international management as a subject is like? as obviously have never learnt management before! lots of essays?numerical? enjoyable?! also what made you chose sydney? also was it hard to get into this course?what kindof things are best for my personal statement? THANKS:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by XYZ
Very useful answer (+rep)!
If I may ask more questions...(my daughter has an offer^^)

On what basis are students selected? grades, written appli (project), interview?
she told me the uni charges 1/2 tuition fees during that year if one does a placement, is that right, sounds still steep!?

What if the student is able to find a uni exchange by himself in a reputable uni? would that be negotiable with WBS? has it ever happened?
thx!

Congrats to your daughter. Im sure if she decides to come here she will love it.

There is no interview, the students are selected through a strong personal statement and good grades. The grade requirements have risen from when I applied and they are now at A*AA, which im sure she knows about. There is no project or anything else expected.

And yes the half tuition fees to the university only apply if she is leaving Europe to go abroad, ie to Canada, Australia, America or China. If she decides to stay in Europe, she will be part of the Erasmus scheme and therefore will not have to pay any tuition anywhere.

She will also be eligible for funding from the Student Finance Company as she will be in full time education still.

As far as I know, nobody has attempted to find an exchange with another university that Warwick doesnt have links with. Even so, I doubt it would be allowed to go ahead. The University works extremely hard to create partnerships with these other unis and some of them are the best business schools around, HKUST, Wharton, Bocconi and as they are always looking in to new partnerships with other countries and unis it is unlikely they would accept a request from a student who is part of the course to go to a uni that is not one they have a partnership with. The other reason for this is because the universities that warwick have deals with also send students to Warwick for the year. For example, Warwick has two places to send students to University of Sydney. This means two students from Sydney will attend Warwick over the same time.

If there is anything else please let me know. I am more than happy to help.
Reply 6
Original post by max25
thank you soo much! this is my dream course im thinking haha, just wondering what international management as a subject is like? as obviously have never learnt management before! lots of essays?numerical? enjoyable?! also what made you chose sydney? also was it hard to get into this course?what kindof things are best for my personal statement? THANKS:smile:

Hiya Max. I was just like you when I found out the options available and fell in love with the course haha

The course itself is mixed in terms of modules and how interesting it is. In the first year you do 9 or 10 modules, some essay based, some numerical. From what I remember, there were 4 numerical modules, 4 essay based modules and 1 module that is a group project, where you must present and write a report. There are three management modules in first year, two of which i found crazy boring but they cover the essence of management, ie learning man management procedures and methods, theories of how to motivate workers, how to manage an organisation to be efficient etc. You have no choices in first year but in second year you get a lot more module choice and there really isnt anything that is similar to those three modules which was a massive relief.

Out of the 4 essay based ones I can tell you I actually enjoyed two of them and the numerical ones were the same. There are two statistics modules, one accounting and one financial management. I hate statistics so naturally hated those two but the other two were great and actually really interesting. The group project was interesting but depends on who else you have in your group and I got lumped with a rubbish group so didnt enjoy it as much as my friends.

I had Canada, Australia and America unis as my top 5. Sydney just stood out from day one because Ive never been, the lifestyle is so different to England, and because Im from London it would be great to experience another huge city. The university is in the top 50 in the World, as are most of the unis warwick have a partnership with and it gives me an opportunity to travel around that part of the world as well as things like learning how to surf. I was also thinking of McGill in Canada but the thing that swayed it for me was the fact I can get campus accommodation in Sydney whereas in McGill its not possible and I felt that would take away from the experience. Other unis have different policies so make sure you check it out and know what you want.

When I applied for this course the requirements were AABC, whereas now they have gone up to A*AA. I got A*ABB in my Alevels so made my offer comfortably. Warwick doesn't specify what grades they want in any subjects so its not too hard. With regard to personal statement, you want to be making it obvious that you've done reading related to management as a whole, I read Duncan Banatynes book, Anyone Can Do It. It's a great story and also try and do some reading around management and economics. By this I don't mean things like the Economist or the Financial Times, anyone can do that lol but other books related to management theory or financial management. It shows you understand what the course might be looking for and you're taking an active interest in it. Also you want to put in examples of you applying management skills to situations, show you've done different things. I used to be part of a dance company for 4 years, I've played football and cricket to club and county level, I spent time working for charity every summer. One major thing has to be that you come across as all rounded, not just a bookworm or the complete opposite. Don't make the standard starting to your personal statement either like, "My interest in International Management came from...". They hate things like that and will think youre making it up. Be different. I started mine by talking about the BRIC countries and how business is not confined to borders and how companies and organisations need proper management to expand efficiently and in a profit making way.

Let me know what else is on your mind and I'll try my best to answer.
Reply 7
Congrats to your daughter. Im sure if she decides to come here she will love it.

There is no interview, the students are selected through a strong personal statement and good grades. The grade requirements have risen from when I applied and they are now at A*AA, which im sure she knows about. There is no project or anything else expected.

And yes the half tuition fees to the university only apply if she is leaving Europe to go abroad, ie to Canada, Australia, America or China. If she decides to stay in Europe, she will be part of the Erasmus scheme and therefore will not have to pay any tuition anywhere.

She will also be eligible for funding from the Student Finance Company as she will be in full time education still.

As far as I know, nobody has attempted to find an exchange with another university that Warwick doesnt have links with. Even so, I doubt it would be allowed to go ahead. The University works extremely hard to create partnerships with these other unis and some of them are the best business schools around, HKUST, Wharton, Bocconi and as they are always looking in to new partnerships with other countries and unis it is unlikely they would accept a request from a student who is part of the course to go to a uni that is not one they have a partnership with. The other reason for this is because the universities that warwick have deals with also send students to Warwick for the year. For example, Warwick has two places to send students to University of Sydney. This means two students from Sydney will attend Warwick over the same time.

If there is anything else please let me know. I am more than happy to help.

thanks a lot.
by selection criteria, I meant for the slots in the different foreign unis (is that based on grades, interviews etc?). This is not about the UCAS process, as she does have the offer.
Reply 8
Original post by XYZ
thanks a lot.
by selection criteria, I meant for the slots in the different foreign unis (is that based on grades, interviews etc?). This is not about the UCAS process, as she does have the offer.

Ahh sorry i completely misunderstood.

The selection criteria effectively comes down to how well she will do in first year and how many people are applying to the same places as her.

We had to fill in a form with our choices numbered from 1 to 19 and for the first 4 choices we have to say why we are picking them. The department then look at how many people are also applying to the same places and then will look at the first year results to see if there is someone who has done better than her and is also applying to the same first choice. If that is the case then she will be bumped down to her 2nd or 3rd choice. There are no interviews or no projects for the selection process
Reply 9
Thank you, that's quite useful.
thanks for your detailed reply, it was very useful and i get to know more about the course.
Just one more thing about the class size: since there are only around 40 people, will there be better bonding among students compared to other courses? As i prefer a course with small size so that I can maintain closer relationship with my course mate.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest