Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryonieIV)
    Yeah, you have to do the source evaluation and the bibliography as part of the coursework.

Evaluation has to be 500 words and I think you have to do about 5 sources (or at least more than 2/3) to get in the higher bands.

Not sure what you mean by glossary, I guess that's if you didn't reference and footnote your essay, on the actual essay.
    I knew about the evaluation and bibligraphy and your right about the glossary being instead of referencing/footnoting on the actual essay, but I didn't except to have to do that as well as a Bibliography seeing as it means writing the same thing twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I knew about the evaluation and bibligraphy and your right about the glossary being instead of referencing/footnoting on the actual essay, but I didn't except to have to do that as well as a Bibliography seeing as it means writing the same thing twice.
    Oh, well, you can copy and paste surely? But you have to write down every single book/source/website that you've touched in your bibliography. Not just the ones you've quoted in your essay. So you aren't being plagiaristic. Because there's a document which you have to sign asking if you've researched anything or used any sources you haven't listed.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, well, you can copy and paste surely? But you have to write down every single book/source/website that you've touched in your bibliography. Not just the ones you've quoted in your essay. So you aren't being plagiaristic. Because there's a document which you have to sign asking if you've researched anything or used any sources you haven't listed.
    True. And yeah I guess I can cut & paste for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how they check if you've plagairised? One of my friends did last year and got away with it ... don't understand how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmygoshxo)
    Just wondering how they check if you've plagairised? One of my friends did last year and got away with it ... don't understand how?

I think it depends on your teacher or moderator thinking that it's above your standard, so typing it into a search engine or their special machine things. I'm not exactly sure, but someone in year 11 got caught out for it last year at my school. So you can never be too careful.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on your teacher or moderator thinking that it's above your standard, so typing it into a search engine or their special machine things. I'm not exactly sure, but someone in year 11 got caught out for it last year at my school. So you can never be too careful.
    Ah fair enough. Yeah, a few guys in my school got caught for English cw few years back. I was just wondering because it occured to me that the moderators get sent paper copies, and so can't put them through a database of any kind, which is what I'd thought happened haha. So the external tmoderators purpose is more to check that the marking is standardised, rather than that the essays aren't fake, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmygoshxo)

probably using the same technology they use to check personal statements.

ReputationRep:
    I think they can still scan paper copies too. They just have to put it through some kind of machine first.

I guess it depends how strict your moderator wants to be really!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you have to do the source evaluation and the bibliography as part of the coursework.

Evaluation has to be 500 words and I think you have to do about 5 sources (or at least more than 2/3) to get in the higher bands.

Not sure what you mean by glossary, I guess that's if you didn't reference and footnote your essay, on the actual essay.

How many themes did you do in your essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holmes221)
    How many themes did you do in your essay?
    Not sure what you mean by themes. They didn't come up at all in my essay. Mine was more about continuation and change over the period, rather than similiarities of it. I guess maybe I did 4/5 themes.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what you mean by themes. They didn't come up at all in my essay. Mine was more about continuation and change over the period, rather than similiarities of it. I guess maybe I did 4/5 themes.

factors then like social, political

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holmes221)
    factors then like social, political
    Solely political, with maybe a few social. My question was: ‘Unionists have always refused to compromise.’ With reference to the period 1886-1998, how valid is this view of the prolonged failure to find a solution to the Irish question?

My essay was fundamentally about the actions taken by governments, the actions taken by terrorists, legislation and policing.

I'm sorry, I'm not much help. I think my question is just too specific.

ReputationRep:
    Solely political, with maybe a few social. My question was: ‘Unionists have always refused to compromise.’ With reference to the period 1886-1998, how valid is this view of the prolonged failure to find a solution to the Irish question?

My essay was fundamentally about the actions taken by governments, the actions taken by terrorists, legislation and policing.

I'm sorry, I'm not much help. I think my question is just too specific.

No its ok. I was just wondering how many ideas, people are doing as Ive looked at the social and leadership ideas for 3 nations. I've gone into alot of detail.

ReputationRep:
    what grade is a level 3/4?

x

ReputationRep:
    Well in English a Band 1 is an A/B but i would guess the bands must be different for this?

ReputationRep:
    I think it goes up to level 5. Level 5 is the highest so would be an A.

So level 3/4 would be a C/B, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I think it goes up to level 5. Level 5 is the highest so would be an A.

So level 3/4 would be a C/B, I guess.
    ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    how come you got told ur band? I thought we weren't allowed to know??

ReputationRep:
    It'll depend on the school - some people get to know, others won't. My school won't tell us History, but we've been told our mark for English.

ReputationRep:
    finally done mine and handed it in, its probally not A grade standard but im so relieved to have finished it I'm not fussed tbh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 15, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.