Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone do Mechanics 3 (MEI OCR) today? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many on this board do MEI, but I'll try anyway.

How did you find it? Personally, I thought it was much harder than the past papers. I was a bit of a mess but hope it went OK.

1) Rubber band question. (All algebra, and not even a "show that" question.. Annoying.)
    2) Fishing float SHM. (OK, I think.)
    3) Ball inside a rotating wheel. (Ugh. So many simple mistakes - but hopefully I got there in the end.)
    4) Centre of mass of a rotated circle segment. (Tricky, but pretty much all "show that" questions, which was nice.)

Ben

ReputationRep:
    oh, I just made a topic on this, doh!

For the very first part of question one, did you have to divide the tension by 4, as it was stretched round 4 pegs? I hope not.

ReputationRep:
    me too!!! its was freaking difficult.

i could not do half of q2 at all.
    q3- on teh ship rod thingy was ok. except how to prove taht y=1.5 g!!!
    q1- ok got a large algebra term at the end for V
    24- not too bad. i did not undersatnd what the large plane thingy was. just applied teh formula and it worked strangely.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was quite a bit harder than the past papers and short on time aswell

M4 went better tho

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sonja]I thought it was quite a bit harder than the past papers and short on time aswell

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! i had teh same experience. Jan 2005 was easy!!!! and so was teh previous papers!!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=chubby]
    (Original post by sonja)
    I thought it was quite a bit harder than the past papers and short on time aswell

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! i had teh same experience. Jan 2005 was easy!!!! and so was teh previous papers!!!
    Nearly everyone at school found it bad too, so I'm thinking (hoping) the grade boundaries will be really low.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, now I know there's someone to actually read what I write, I might write a bit more.

Personally I would rate it harder (or at least less straightforward) than P6.

1) I think I got vaguely like v = SQRT(12gh^2/a - 6gh). For the first part, no, I think tension is tension is tension.
    2) I got v = 0.173, t = 4/30 pi = 0.419.
    3) Can't remember what the final part was about...
    4) I got 7/40r (first I got 27/40r but then realised I had to take 1/2r from it).

ReputationRep:
    i really do hope that the the grade boundaries are like 6marks and above u get an A lol

ReputationRep:
    in my centre everone found it hard too

ReputationRep:
    phew. feel a bit better about it now....theres not usually parts i dont know how to attempt and im usually fine on time but that exam was mean!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -joanne-)
    phew. feel a bit better about it now....theres not usually parts i dont know how to attempt and im usually fine on time but that exam was mean!!
    You're in good company. :p:

Out of interest, did anyone here do P6?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben C)
    You're in good company. :p:

Out of interest, did anyone here do P6?
    Yes pure 6 was great!, the further math modules are a lot interesting and better then normal math modules :rolleyes:

But I haven't done a single module of Mechanics, I'll be doing M1 in September

ReputationRep:
    I did P6, it went better than I thought it would.
    I'm glad maths does get more interesting the more you learn, P6 is so much more involved than GCSE stuff (as well as being harder, obviously)- it actually makes you THINK, which is good.

Anyway, I'm glad everyone else seems to think M3 was hard, nice to know it wasn't just me!

ReputationRep:
    And also the fact a car alarm was going off for at least an hour of the exam and some grrrr-ing boyracers came up the highstreet playing their 'music' really loud, very offputting in an already stressful situation

I just couldnt get the patience with all that going on to finish all of my answers, so i've got liek the first parts right and hten not been able to finish he last half of the big questions

ReputationRep:
    That was really hard. A lot harder than past papers. For the second part of question 1, I take it you aren't supposed to use actual values?

I got the answer to be something like (sqrt)a^3/3 - a

That was a part of my final answer anyway.. I have a hazy memory. Messed up with the velocity question, what equation were you supposed to use?

I just hope the grade boudaries will be lowered enough (my teacher told me today they're *very* low compared with other modules) for me to scrape a pass... :/ fortunately I only need Es in these modules to get into uni.

ReputationRep:
    Was it me though or were the questions absolutely nothing like the other questions which have come up in the past?? i mean a float? a rubber band round pegs??

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was peculiar. There is a rubber-band-around-pegs question in the textbook (catapult) though I've never seen an entirely algebraic question in a past paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dav)
    Messed up with the velocity question, what equation were you supposed to use?
    For that one I used energy - GPE, KE and elastic, and equated before and after. My answer, or at least something near it, is above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben C)
    For that one I used energy - GPE, KE and elastic, and equated before and after. My answer, or at least something near it, is above.
    Well, in that case I should hopefully get a method mark. What was your answer for the extension?

ReputationRep:
    Well, that was evil. Really the m3 and m4 were the worst ones ive done ever i think. so many gaps *shakes head* i didn't do any of 3 on m3, it compleatly threw me. Im thinknig about 10% each paper. But ooh well, hopefully the boundaries will be very low.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.