Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know I know, what a thread to start, basically curious to know how many other people out there suffer with depression, what they do to live with it, medication and the such like, its a pretty personal topic, but if anyone has ever felt like they are the only one, noone understands, alone etc, it might be of help to know there are other people just like you.

Ive suffered from depression for approx half my life, taken various medications, seen the psychiatrists, psychologists, Behavioural Cognitive Therapists, its taken me this long to realise depression isnt something to be ashamed of, its just a way of handling or not handling a crisis. Im not a doctor, I cant promise to have the answers, what I can give anyone is support, it means a lot to have someone there you can talk to

ReputationRep:
    i don't suffer from depression myself however my friend used to suffer
    from it.he used to take drugs and all kinds of stuff to try and make himself feel better.in the end all he really wanted was to talk to someone.he found it much easier after he talked everything thru with me and now he's fine.he's turned really confident and has even got himself a girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yeah. I still suffer from depression sometimes, when everything gets too much.
    And i know there are others sort of like me, but everyone is unique, an individual, and eventually ends with having their own problems.

ReputationRep:
    i think it makes things easier to surround urself with close friends.

ReputationRep:
    Recently i just can't be bothered to do anything. I just feel tired, and can't really be bothered to do any of my extra-curricular activities. I hate waking up and going to my job; as it's so boring. I'm beginning to have doubts that the university course i'm supposed to be doing is really for me. Would you say these are signs of depression, or something else?

ReputationRep:
    possibly.i think ur at a very important stage of ur life and ur worried that u might make wrong choices.in response ur body has decided to slow down and u hav become less active.depression may be a factor later but i think u hav 2 decide what u want in life.try talking to someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mich)
    possibly.i think ur at a very important stage of ur life and ur worried that u might make wrong choices.in response ur body has decided to slow down and u hav become less active.depression may be a factor later but i think u hav 2 decide what u want in life.try talking to someone.
    Who? A psychiatrist?

Firstly, they just sit there and nod their head and agree with you. I am talking to someone; i'm talking to people here and to the people inside my head.

Secondly, going to a psychiatrist looks bad on your record, it shows you may be unstable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Who? A psychiatrist?

Firstly, they just sit there and nod their head and agree with you. I am talking to someone; i'm talking to people here and to the people inside my head.

Secondly, going to a psychiatrist looks bad on your record, it shows you may be unstable.
    Firstly, psychiatrists do much more than just listen - they can prescribe you drugs as well.

Secondly, I'm sure that seeing a psychiatrist is completely confidential, as are all medical records.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Firstly, psychiatrists do much more than just listen - they can prescribe you drugs as well.

Secondly, I'm sure that seeing a psychiatrist is completely confidential, as are all medical records.
    Psychiatrists aren't worth the money.

ReputationRep:

Sorry, they take notes as well, i give you that. I don't want to take drugs, who wants to live off valium or some other drug all their life?

I remember on the UCAS form you had to declare whether or not you have sought psychiatric help in the last 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Sorry, they take notes as well, i give you that. I don't want to take drugs, who wants to live off valium or some other drug all their life?

I remember on the UCAS form you had to declare whether or not you have sought psychiatric help in the last 6 months.
    Firstly, all records are completely confidential - there is no way that an employer or university could ever know about it unless you told them.

Secondly, you can lie on your UCAS form (I did, several times), like I said, there is no way they can confirm it.

ReputationRep:
    But getting back to something else i said, who wants to live off Valium or some other drug al their life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    But getting back to something else i said, who wants to live off Valium or some other drug al their life?
    I would imagine that being drugged-up would be preferable to being suicidal.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine that being drugged-up would be preferable to being suicidal.
    Maybe not, i wouldn't describe myself as suicidal. I don't think i'd ever do it as it is a very selfish act. I don't want to open up a can of worms about suicide or anything. It's just not suicidal or drugged up - there are different levels of depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Maybe not, i wouldn't describe myself as suicidal. I don't think i'd ever do it as it is a very selfish act. I don't want to open up a can of worms about suicide or anything. It's just not suicidal or drugged up - there are different levels of depression.
    Well, I'd imagine drugs would be a last resort. If this is just some 'I'm going to fail my exams' type of depression then I wouldn't really worry about it too much.

ReputationRep:
    I've done my exams and i have a university place for next year. So it's not an "i'm going to fail exams depression". It's just a general "can't be bothered depression", lack of enthusiasm to really do anything. I don't know if that could be classed as depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I've done my exams and i have a university place for next year. So it's not an "i'm going to fail exams depression". It's just a general "can't be bothered depression", lack of enthusiasm to really do anything. I don't know if that could be classed as depression.
    Maybe you're just lazy?

Or perhaps it's ME?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're just lazy?

Or perhaps it's ME?
    Maybe, i am lazy. But i just feel lately i'm losing touch of what i want to do. I'm in a job i despise coming to, i spend most of my work time on here or on other forums. Not sure if the uni course i am enrolled for is the one i want to do for the next 3/4 years. I know where i want to be in 10 years time, but i don't like the route i'm taking to get there.

What did you mean about the last bit? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Maybe, i am lazy. But i just feel lately i'm losing touch of what i want to do. I'm in a job i despise coming to, i spend most of my work time on here or on other forums. Not sure if the uni course i am enrolled for is the one i want to do for the next 3/4 years. I know where i want to be in 10 years time, but i don't like the route i'm taking to get there.
    Suggestion: Give up the job and live on a restricted budget for a while. Give the forums a rest and seriously re-think your career choice - could you envisage yourself spending the next 40 years doing it?

(Original post by G4ry)
    What did you mean about the last bit? :confused:
    I'm referring to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - it's sort of 'permanent laziness'.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not allowed to give up the job, because i won't find anything better and i have to do something useful with my gap year.

40 years? :eek: I don't intend to work for 40 years if all goes to plan, i'd have retired by the time i'm 40 But i don't know the exact profession i'd be going to; it is a wide choice, so i don't know if i could see myself doing it for 40 years.

Why give the forums a rest?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.