Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love_4_ducks)
    i hgave a friend who is recovering from depression,
    My regards to your friend and best wishes for the future, its a long haul recovering from depression and each day is a conquest. Has your friend found talking to others helps, been prescribed medication? excuse me if Im being nosey, you can tell me to butt out )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    G4ry I know we all have some level of desire to please our parents, are you by any chance an only child as well? Only more pressure seems to be placed on only children to succeed. If you felt your *AS* were unhappy, studying for years in a uni course you really dont want to be doing will be torture. I know little about your background other than what I have read here and dont want to make any rash comments, but it really does appear your father especially is pushing you towards a career you dont want to do. Initially it may shock your father when you tell him that you dont want to pursue that avenue, but eventually he will come round, all parents want for their children is to be happy. Can you perhaps talk to your mother, a careers guidance counsellor? although I feel that you are more fed up with being pushed in a direction you dont want to go, than you are with actually studying. What is it you want to be doing in a few years time, forget what your father wants, what do you want to have achieved by 2008?
    I'm not an only child, i have an older brother and younger sister. The thing is i don't know if i want to do the course, reading the prospectus i can't say it's something i want to do, but when i get there it could be completely different or interesting. The thing is i don't know what i want to do, let alone telling someone else what i want to do. I've spent years doing what someone else has told me to do i feel i don't really know what i want for myself, or even who i am any more.

ReputationRep:
    I know its really easy to be sat here offering advice G4ry and Im sure a lot of whats been said you have heard before. Is there anyway you could perhaps have a *taster* session and see what your chosen degree is going to entail, failing that, give yourself a break now, enjoy the festive season, wait until your uni year starts and give it a go, its never to late to change your mind. You strike me as having a hell of a lot of intelligence and something a lot of people dont have, guts, because your sat telling a stranger about your life, thats something to be proud of. Try not to focus on the negatives for now, relax and give yourself time to unwind, When I broke away from my parents, it felt like I was doggy paddling in the ocean and I swallowed a lot of water before I realised I wasnt going to drowned. Doubt still enters my mind, but I try not to let my parents influence my life to the extent they once did.

ReputationRep:
    I know its really easy to be sat here offering advice G4ry and Im sure a lot of whats been said you have heard before. Is there anyway you could perhaps have a *taster* session and see what your chosen degree is going to entail, failing that, give yourself a break now, enjoy the festive season, wait until your uni year starts and give it a go, its never to late to change your mind. You strike me as having a hell of a lot of intelligence and something a lot of people dont have, guts, because your sat telling a stranger about your life, thats something to be proud of. Try not to focus on the negatives for now, relax and give yourself time to unwind, When I broke away from my parents, it felt like I was doggy paddling in the ocean and I swallowed a lot of water before I realised I wasnt going to drowned. Doubt still enters my mind, but I try not to let my parents influence my life to the extent they once did.
    Thanks for your compliments, but i don't have guts as you put it, by the sounds of it you do.

It's hard to focus on the positives, i'm quite a pessimistic person and the negatives thoughts always come back to haunt me.

So what do you think i should do about this boring, depressing job that i am in? I can't really leave it, unless i go on to something else, such as another job or travelling (which i can't say really interests me). The job question is silly so you don't have to answer it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    It's hard to focus on the positives, i'm quite a pessimistic person and the negatives thoughts always come back to haunt me.

So what do you think i should do about this boring, depressing job that i am in? I can't really leave it, unless i go on to something else, such as another job or travelling (which i can't say really interests me). The job question is silly so you don't have to answer it.
    Firstly, your not alone in being pessimistic, Im fairly that way myself, honestly there is a way of channelling negativity and turning into something positive, that comes with time and each person is different.

Now your job, hmmm, you have to have a certain element of job satisfaction and enjoyment, or you wont give your best and therefore wont fulfill your full potential, thus making you feel a failure, which then aggravates your feelings of low self worth and esteem. Look for alternative employment now and think that each day that passes you are closer to finding what you really want to be doing and this is merely a way of paying the bills for now. It doesnt have to be *forever*, simply a means to an end, one that you will find more personally satisfying.

I have to go for a few hours now but will be back about 6ish, please carry on posting and I will answer, or email me, dont think I have to post it here do I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Recently i just can't be bothered to do anything. I just feel tired, and can't really be bothered to do any of my extra-curricular activities. I hate waking up and going to my job; as it's so boring. I'm beginning to have doubts that the university course i'm supposed to be doing is really for me. Would you say these are signs of depression, or something else?
    no

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to mis-lead you, the job i am doing is merely to fill a gap year and to have something decent to put on CV. I don't need the job to pay bills, as i am lucky enough to not have to pay them yet.

I just wanted to clarify that for now.

ReputationRep:
    Fortunately G4ry even though you are using the job as a fill in time, it doesnt mean you have to do something you so obviously hate, something you enjoy and can be seen to enjoy will impress an interviewer more than something you have done for appearances sake

ReputationRep:
    I know I know, what a thread to start, basically curious to know how many other people out there suffer with depression, what they do to live with it, medication and the such like, its a pretty personal topic, but if anyone has ever felt like they are the only one, noone understands, alone etc, it might be of help to know there are other people just like you.

Ive suffered from depression for approx half my life, taken various medications, seen the psychiatrists, psychologists, Behavioural Cognitive Therapists, its taken me this long to realise depression isnt something to be ashamed of, its just a way of handling or not handling a crisis. Im not a doctor, I cant promise to have the answers, what I can give anyone is support, it means a lot to have someone there you can talk to
    pull your socks up and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    pull your socks up and get on with it.
    take the socks off, and rest for the 7th day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    take the socks off, and rest for the 7th day
    Wear stockings and find someone to help take them off on the 7th day.

ReputationRep:
    I know I know, what a thread to start, basically curious to know how many other people out there suffer with depression, what they do to live with it, medication and the such like, its a pretty personal topic, but if anyone has ever felt like they are the only one, noone understands, alone etc, it might be of help to know there are other people just like you.

Ive suffered from depression for approx half my life, taken various medications, seen the psychiatrists, psychologists, Behavioural Cognitive Therapists, its taken me this long to realise depression isnt something to be ashamed of, its just a way of handling or not handling a crisis. Im not a doctor, I cant promise to have the answers, what I can give anyone is support, it means a lot to have someone there you can talk to
    yeah i had it for bout 5 month. its not wot i thought it wud be coz most ppl think its feelin down after a bad day but its actually different. its like this continuous feeling u get that u cant get rid of

ReputationRep:
    Wear stockings and find someone to help take them off on the 7th day.
    lol, thats a good one

ReputationRep:
    Definition: Depression is the mental state of excessive sadness characterized by persistently low mood or extensive loss of pleasure and interest. To be considered a clinical condition, depression symptoms must have a duration of at least 2 weeks and include: decreases or sometimes increases in weight, agitated or sluggish activity, disturbance in sleep, appetite, and concentration

Depression

Depression is a disorder of mood, characterized by sadness and loss of interest in usually satisfying activities, a negative view of the self and hopelessness, passivity, indecisiveness, suicidal intentions, loss of appetite, weight loss, sleep disturbances, and other physical symptoms. Some or all of these symptoms may be present in people suffering from depression.

People that suffer depression, cant just *pull their socks up* and get on with it and contrary to the belief that a person talking about suicide wont go through it, the percentage rate of those that actually do is quite high

ReputationRep:
    Definition: Depression is the mental state of excessive sadness characterized by persistently low mood or extensive loss of pleasure and interest. To be considered a clinical condition, depression symptoms must have a duration of at least 2 weeks and include: decreases or sometimes increases in weight, agitated or sluggish activity, disturbance in sleep, appetite, and concentration

Depression

Depression is a disorder of mood, characterized by sadness and loss of interest in usually satisfying activities, a negative view of the self and hopelessness, passivity, indecisiveness, suicidal intentions, loss of appetite, weight loss, sleep disturbances, and other physical symptoms. Some or all of these symptoms may be present in people suffering from depression.

People that suffer depression, cant just *pull their socks up* and get on with it and contrary to the belief that a person talking about suicide wont go through it, the percentage rate of those that actually do is quite high
    i must admit i lost my appetite and felt sick after everything and then started having panic attacks (dunno why im strange lol) at night

ReputationRep:
    I'm not suprised people get depressed. Our lives these days are so artificial. We have bodies which have evolved to run round and kill things for food. Our brains are designed to think about finding ways of finding the best people to mate with. Does are modern life bear any resemblance to that which are brains and bodies evolved to cope with?

Personally, I think I would slit my throat if I had to work in an office again!

ReputationRep:
    I find that a bit insulting the "pull your socks up" bit. Four words is not really going to help matters, you can't just ignore if you have a problem because people bottle up their emotions and may turn to drink, drugs and suicide to escape the problem.

I guess it depends on the person about the suicide rate, some people just wouldn't have the will to do it to themselves.

ReputationRep:
    *Hugs* G4ry, not everyone can understand what its like to be depressed or see how something simple to them can be so hard to us. Its frustrating to both sufferer and those around them when we find it difficult to explain what is wrong as more often than not, its not one particular thing but a combination of things

ReputationRep:
    It's always easier to pass judgement or give advice to someone. I find myself in the position sometimes when i dish out advice quite freely, but i'd probably never act on my advice. So what do you think comes first depression or low self-confidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    So what do you think comes first depression or low self-confidence?
    I think low self confidence can contribute to a feeling of low self esteem which will antagognise any feeling of low self worth and thus leading to depression, its one route and a vicious circle. You can feel good about one thing in one breath, yet in the next hit a low and hate yourself, People tend to think we look for sympathy when that isnt the case, its simply to understand

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.