Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    I think low self confidence can contribute to a feeling of low self esteem which will antagognise any feeling of low self worth and thus leading to depression, its one route and a vicious circle. You can feel good about one thing in one breath, yet in the next hit a low and hate yourself, People tend to think we look for sympathy when that isnt the case, its simply to understand
    Yep

The thing with depression is it is beatable, but like addications, you need to find a reason to beat it. Try to find something that you desperately want and attempt to gain that, but don't beat yourself up if you fail. I know it is hard, a good tip is find a sport you enjoy and put as part of your routine, sports tend to be good at helping you feel better about yourself, they release endorphins and leave you too tired to be upset. The benefits are that as you feel better about yourself, self confidence comes back, which as Devil's door says is in a circle.

But circles go both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    But circles go both ways.
    BUt they end up at the same place in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Much to my surprise, I found Prozac brilliant. It really lifts your mood and I find on the whole that just taking one tablet every other day is sufficient for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgie)
    Much to my surprise, I found Prozac brilliant. It really lifts your mood and I find on the whole that just taking one tablet every other day is sufficient for me.
    Hiya Hedgie, prozac didnt suit me, I now take motival 3 times daily, seems to help a lot, although I have tried lots of other self help thingies to. Ive also taken, dothiepin, prothiadin, amyltriptaline and lofepramine. Prozac does have good and bad publicity though. Please feel free to share your experiences, I find they all help

ReputationRep:
    Hiya Hedgie, prozac didnt suit me, I now take motival 3 times daily, seems to help a lot, although I have tried lots of other self help thingies to. Ive also taken, dothiepin, prothiadin, amyltriptaline and lofepramine. Prozac does have good and bad publicity though. Please feel free to share your experiences, I find they all help
    I think they are joking.

ReputationRep:
    Joking? Sorry, I'm not!
    Prozac gave me the initial lift out of pessimism and lethargy, just enough to get me doing something about my situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgie)
    Joking? Sorry, I'm not!
    Prozac gave me the initial lift out of pessimism and lethargy, just enough to get me doing something about my situation.
    Ok, Hedgie i'm sorry that i made a mistake. It is sometimes hard to tell if new members or those with a few posts are telling the truth or just making jokes on serious threads.

Once again i apologise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    BUt they end up at the same place in the end.
    Once you can start to reverse the cycle, you can get high enough to break out.

Be Optimistic

ReputationRep:
    I know I know, what a thread to start, basically curious to know how many other people out there suffer with depression, what they do to live with it, medication and the such like, its a pretty personal topic, but if anyone has ever felt like they are the only one, noone understands, alone etc, it might be of help to know there are other people just like you.

Ive suffered from depression for approx half my life, taken various medications, seen the psychiatrists, psychologists, Behavioural Cognitive Therapists, its taken me this long to realise depression isnt something to be ashamed of, its just a way of handling or not handling a crisis. Im not a doctor, I cant promise to have the answers, what I can give anyone is support, it means a lot to have someone there you can talk to
    People who are depressed because they feel alone, often have been prone to rejection. People who focus on negativity end up isolating their self. When you see people, you don't see negativity as affecting them, and if you see people who "aren't accepted", you probably feel they hold some connection with you.

Isolation comes from the belief that your qualities, choices, ways of thinking, etc. are not good enough, nor normal. The fact is most people think about many of the same things, but when you "feel rejection" by other people, you are blaming yourself, or blaming them, as being different. When you do this, you are reinstating false beliefs of self-worth. Everyone is worth the same, the focusing on negativity is basically like isolating yourself, because when it comes down to it, nobody wants to be seen as negative. When you focus on yourself and believe you are your negativity, you are continuing a cycle of lies, illusions, and isolations, because life is positive, and negativity is simply your own response or idea about it. If you view anything as negative, or to-be rejected, or disliked, chances are you may be questioning other people's ability to accept, as well as your own, and are putting up false ideas of isolation.

When people do this, they continue to live in negativity until they can find something positive to come along to save them...and the truth is, it is all in you. Everything you do, think, etc. is your own choice. When you blame other people for something and get angry, and you keep focusing on any negative aspect, you need to say to yourself, "Um, nobody is making me isolated, negative, or different. Nobody is making me think this, and as I keep thinking I am different, I keep giving people a reason to think it, and to think that I am looking upon them with judgement. It is simply my own lies and ego which is disconnecting me from reality, which continues on each moment with or without my clarity."

When you begin to review yourself, your past, your beliefs, etc. and all your negativity, and unhappiness, you can begin to admit to yourself all of these things are your fault. It may not be your fault they happened, but you control your reaction to them. Egos that get angry and frustrated when you ignore them are egos that other people and theirs egos will not like. It becomes annoying, because people who let their ego control them (and you can see such people as well, or perhaps your own responses) become impatient, or anxious, or annoyed. Basically what you have to do is say, OKAY, nobody but me holds the key to my truth, to my peace. When someone makes me angry, or I make myself angry, or any other bad emotion, I am believing I am needing something to experience peace.

You can see people who get angry when they don't get the attention they want, and start acting nervous and stupid...and this is because they are believing they need this, this is what they want. This will make them happy. Truth-be-told, only you hold your peace and clarity. Everyone does. When you believe you are different, or believe other people are judging you or do not understand you because there is something wrong (with you, or with them), it is your own needy mind believing you are lost, separated.

There are other people who feel this way, there are also those who are more at peace and see things more realistically, and therefore it is safe to say any form of "separation" and "self-worth" are from other people's being restless and lost. When you feel you are above, or below, or need to be above, or deserving of being below somebody in some "imaginary status", you are again isolating yourself, and sending out negative energy that basically says, as a huge slap in the face, "I am shallow. I believe some people are less than others. I believe there are bad people, good people, and different people, and there is quality in them which can and should be judged." This negative energy affects you, mostly, and how you respond socially and see reality...and it will keep drilling a hole of negativity as you keep believing you or think things wrong, or less-than-whole, and others are simply much better than you.

A lot of it is created by family, childhood, growing up. Becoming fixated on beliefs, judgement, rejection, etc. Each time you respond negatively and never change the belief that nobody can harm you unless you let them, you are putting up beliefs of separation and isolation.

The truth will set you free, and the truth is this: desire comes from thinking you will be happier, or worth more if you had something.

If you attach this to yourself, or other people, it is really your EGO lying to you. When you can let go of this EGO and its lie, you can be set free. Beautiful people are still people. Rich, popular, poor, YOU, are still people. Everyone is all and the same; and the physical differences cannot, and never will, render worth. This does not mean you should have nothing...or only things you need...after all, the more that you have, the more you can give. However, there is no "better" in he who gives, and he who receives. All is the same. When you believe nothing is the same, you put up a lie. A lie that denies we all face the same problems, no matter how rare they are, all problems affect us, or don't affect us, and are simply there. None of them mean anything, because if you realize there is no judgement from them, and that only your EGO, the little wounded character in your head that tells you if you were only this, you would be so much better, or if you were only not yourself, you would be better, or if you thought this way, or did this, you would be better, it easily falls into the trap of being the "victim", the helpless, worthless, weak little victim so different from everyone.

Often times people who encounter narcissistic people (who try to give the idea of WORTH in their "power", making you believe you are not equal because they have "power" over you, and when you want something it is your "vulnerability" to be exploited and rejected) that make people feel isolated. These types of people (narcissists) believe solely in their EGO, burdened by "needs", "wants", "desires", ideas of "worth", "power", etc. When they have them, they manipulate other people's EGOs into believing this, or hating this, or building up lots of negativity and confusion because of it. If they do not have things they believe will make them better, and if they believe they deserve more, or having less makes them less, they may go into isolation.

You may have narcissistic tendencies, as well. The easiest way to overcome this disorder is to recognize the EGO, and your isolations, and realize they do not control nor define you; they are simply hellish ideas and confusion (AND DON'T BELIEVE YOU ARE HELD TO ANYTHING; DON'T BELIEVE YOU ARE HELD TO OLD IDEAS, OR OLD FRUSTRATION AND IDEAS, OR THAT YOU HAVE TO FALL INTO SOME PIT OF ISOLATION AGAIN BECAUSE THIS IS WHO YOU "NATURALLY" ARE--THIS IS ANOTHER NARCISSISTIC IDEA THE EGO USES IN ORDER TO SURVIVE--ALSO, DO NOT HATE NARCISSISTS, OR YOUR OLD AND BAD HABITS AND BELIEFS, OR OLD WAYS, BECAUSE WHEN YOU BELIEVE THIS, AGAIN, IT IS YOUR NARCISSISTIC EGO PLAGUING YOU WITH MORE IDEAS OF ISOLATION, WHICH KEEP RENDERING UP MORE NEGATIVITY AND KARMA TO SLAP YOU IN THE FACE AT A LATER TIME).

ReputationRep:
    By the way, most healing is naturally done through your own means--medication can cause more problems, or dependency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    By the way, most healing is naturally done through your own means--medication can cause more problems, or dependency.

Think you should ask for a raise or something. You've written more in your 140 odd than most mere mortals are capable from 3000 posts! One of these day's I'm going to be brave and read one of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Think you should ask for a raise or something. You've written more in your 140 odd than most mere mortals are capable from 3000 posts! One of these day's I'm going to be brave and read one of them
    lol

ReputationRep:
    i know what it's like too. i'm only 18 and i've suffered depression for the last four years of my life. i'm not one of those people that everyone notices the difference in and then they get sent to a psych and get pilled up. i've always hidden my depression from everyone, i'm a very bouncy, bubbly, happy looking person, and none of my friends or family have ever been any wiser, i mean except for sire and my boyfriend. i've had my ups and downs in life but i guess the downs over rule by millions. overexageration i realise but hey, i've lost count of the amount of times i've cut my wrists, like yesterday for instance. i've attempted suicide about four or five times i hate to think about it so i forget how many times it's been now. anyone else tryed to axe themeselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snow_white)
    . i've attempted suicide about four or five times i hate to think about it so i forget how many times it's been now. anyone else tryed to axe themeselves?
    Yep I have. You arent on your own, no matter how hard you try and hide from yourself, someone is always going to see through your defences,

ReputationRep:
    Depression or mental illness can affect anyone, i just feel that someone can feel the same amount of depression if that person hasnt gone through the same amount of pain as the other one. I think its down to the individual and not neccessarily due to the number of traumas theve had in there life.

I think it makes it easier for a person to say to another person who is depressed that u havent been through bad stuff like other people. U dont know how u are going to act to one situation to another.

The thing ive found that helps is to change ur focus, and ur physiology. Like, when a person is depressed,they usually are hunched over with their head down and are breathing shallowly. Have u noticed that when people smoke or eat alot of food when they are depressed, afterwards they feel more relaxed: not because of the food or the nicotine, but the deep breaths they are taking. If the quality of ur blood is rich in oxygen and u practice breathing properly, it makes u feel better and to focus on other things apart from the negativity.

When u are feeling depressed, yes u are going to work or studying or going out, but u arnt taking the time to focus and feel in control. I think the successful people out there are the ones that manage their states on a DAILY basis. Its the same with someone who does one workout session and never works out again thinking they are fit for life. I think u must view ur brain and depression as ''things'', its about managing ur state and changing ur focus to look at the positive things in ur life.

Ive found that it helps to spend sometime as soon as u wake up in the morning, before u can really think-so that u just do it and it becomes a routine, to think about what it is ur grateful for, if u cant think of anything ur grateful for; what would u be grateful for if u were? things like being alive, the people who love u, and the people u love, or the fact that u live in a free country, or that u can choose to study what it is u want to, or that ur not in a nazi concentration camp.

Ive read accounts from survivors from nazi concentration camps, about the people that survived and why they did. The people had every right to be depressesed and suicidal, but the reason that some people survived was because they found meaning in the suffering. They were able to say to themselves that they would get through this and would tell their children and the world what happened so it would never happen again.

I think that in the times where u feel at ur lowest are the times u learn the most about urself, and its also the time when u say ''ive had enough'' and make changes. I feel that depression and sadness are valued things because its a way to say something isnt wrong. I think that a person has come of age, when they are able to be trully happy with their choices in life and not think about what others think of them. I think that by learning about depression and learning to manage ur states of feeling better, u have a deeper understanding of urself and others.

I have researched into many holistic ways to manage depression, like tai chi and meditation and have found breathing techniques have helped tremendously. Also have a look at what ur eating, and read up on healthier foods. Also exercise is a brilliant way to help feel better within urself. I think if u find meaning in looking after urself u wont find time to feel lethargic and so breath incorrectly etc and feel depressed. But if u find meaning for making something of urself because of ur love of knowledge u will focus on those things and not depression, and when u feel depressed it wont be as severe and not as long. As, everyone will still have depression, its just about managing it so that it doesnt affect u for too long. Some people are predisposed to depression, but the food u eat, the way u think, affects ur body and so should lessen the depression.

I hope this isnt too incoherent, thanks for reading it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    I wouldn't do that if I were you. I tried it a few times, and now I just skip caz for the most part. What a load of rubbish, and yes please do write to the real author saying I think so caz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snow_white)
    i know what it's like too. i'm only 18 and i've suffered depression for the last four years of my life. i'm not one of those people that everyone notices the difference in and then they get sent to a psych and get pilled up. i've always hidden my depression from everyone, i'm a very bouncy, bubbly, happy looking person, and none of my friends or family have ever been any wiser, i mean except for sire and my boyfriend. i've had my ups and downs in life but i guess the downs over rule by millions. overexageration i realise but hey, i've lost count of the amount of times i've cut my wrists, like yesterday for instance. i've attempted suicide about four or five times i hate to think about it so i forget how many times it's been now. anyone else tryed to axe themeselves?
    Yeah I've tried it a few times, but I guess I just don't have the guts. Is that why you called me yesterday?

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt take guts to take your life, it takes more of a person to see the day through, Im hoping that by starting this thread I can give myself reason and purpose to see the end of today, tomorrow and the next day, because right now I have nothing and Im grasping at anything that will give me what I need to survive. I feel angry, bitter and let down

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt take guts to take your life, it takes more of a person to see the day through, Im hoping that by starting this thread I can give myself reason and purpose to see the end of today, tomorrow and the next day, because right now I have nothing and Im grasping at anything that will give me what I need to survive. I feel angry, bitter and let down
    Is that why you feel the need to blame people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VampireWithSoul)
    Depression or mental illness can affect anyone, i just feel that someone can feel the same amount of depression if that person hasnt gone through the same amount of pain as the other one.
    Anyone can go through anything; this does not mean anyone needs to, or ever will. Will power is easily destroyed through society, which is why drugs and pharmeceuticals are on the rise. I am not saying they are bad, it is your choice if you wish to take them. In fact I see no problem with some drugs, like marijuana. But the fact is, I can live without them, and if I am using them to cure something, I am already avoiding the problem at hand.

Pain is not needed. You do not have to suffer pain. What pisses me off is the guilt people place on other people when they show them the things they have, and what others do not. When you do this, you are channeling hate. I should not expect depression because I have no experienced it, nor should I expect it because I have experienced it. The past, nor the future control me. I am. This is the truth. I am, whether or not I am thinking about the future, or the past. I can choose without thinking. I do it all the time. Right now, I am typing and I am not thinking of what keys to press. I do not need to think about negativity to be a better person. I do not need to focus on the bad in the world to appreciate life, myself, and what I have. All I have to do is live.

When I do think, "I" hold the power to think of something positive.

It's strange how people can see pain and feel vulnerable to it, but see joy and feel devoid to it. Fear, mainly. Guilt, also, an emotion of fear. We tell ourselves people "deserve", or "don't deserve" this pain to understand it. In fact we use both ideas alternating at the same time because they both make sense in order to give us "hope". But, the truth is, you cannot live their life, you cannot help what you are not, and therefore must live your life, for only through your gain can you possibly give to those who have not.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.