Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering if anyone could help me with question (4 d ii ) why are the 5 diffrent hydrigen invironment AND 2 OF THOSE ON benzene ring. also why the intesity for them are 2. when there is only one hydrigen group.
    http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/~hs0dad/...w/v2bnu003.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAYS)
    i was wondering if anyone could help me with question (4 d ii ) why are the 2 diffrent hydrigen invironment i n benzene ring. also why the intesity for them are 2. when there is only one hydrigen group.
    have you got the full question? I'll try to help, but I haven't got the question

For a start, there are usually two diff environments in a benzene ring: hydrogens that are in the ring as normal, and those that are near any group that is joined onto the benzene ring

ReputationRep:
    basicly the structure of paracetamol is given , and u need to work out the diffrent hydorgen invironments. there are 5. AFTER THIS U WORK OUT THEIR INTENSITIES.
    THE STRUCTURE OF PARACETAMOL IS HERE. http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/~hs0dad/...w/v2bnu003.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAYS)
    basicly the structure of paracetamol is given , and u need to work out the diffrent hydorgen invironments. there are 5. AFTER THIS U WORK OUT THEIR INTENSITIES.
    THE STRUCTURE OF PARACETAMOL IS HERE. http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/~hs0dad/...w/v2bnu003.gif
    environments intensities
    in OH 1
    upper two in ring 2
    lower two in ring 2
    H attached to N 1
    CH3 3

When I say the upper two in the ring I mean the ones that arent at the extreme top and the extreme bottom of the ring

ReputationRep:
    BUT I DONT UNDERTAND Y THERE ARE TWO OF THESE, SHOULDNT THERE BE 4. ATTACHED TO THE BENZENE RING. AS IN FOR HYDROGENS. SINCE 2 ARE REMOVES BECAUSE OF THE GROUPS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAYS)
    BUT I DONT UNDERTAND Y THERE ARE TWO OF THESE, SHOULDNT THERE BE 4. ATTACHED TO THE BENZENE RING. AS IN FOR HYDROGENS. SINCE 2 ARE REMOVES BECAUSE OF THE GROUPS.
    you have four hydrogens left in the ring.. two hydrogens are nearest the top of the ring which has an OH attached, two are nearest the bottom of the ring. The two nearest tthe top of the ring are in the same kind of environment- they are both equally as near the top of the ring. The bottom ones are equally near the bottom of the ring- their environments are very similar. Therefore two lots of peaks will be present for the Hs in the ring, and each will have an intenisty of two (since there are two Hydrogens in that environment). Two peaks each with an intensity of two = a total of four hydrogen atoms.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing you, it's hard to explain without diagrams

Anyone else help me explain?

ReputationRep:
    I UNDERSTAND THAT NOW. BUT Y ARE THERE 2 HYDRIGEN GROUPS, SHOULD THERE BE JUST ONE R-H BUT WITH INTENSITY OF 4???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAYS)
    I UNDERSTAND THAT NOW. BUT Y ARE THERE 2 HYDRIGEN GROUPS, SHOULD THERE BE JUST ONE R-H BUT WITH INTENSITY OF 4???
    no, because all four are not in the same environment, the ones at the top are nearer an oh group than the bottom ones, therefore this will play a part in their environment

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.