Turn on thread page Beta

Engineering watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Something that really bothers student/professional engineers in this country is the common belief amongst the general public that engineering is not an academic subject. This is the only counrty in the world where a technician or mechanic can call him/herself an engineer and get away with it. In other countries in the world an engineer is somebody who has a degree and holds a position of great responsibility.

An engineering degree is virtually an applied mathematics degree. Every lecture contains mathematics apart from modules such as business studies etc...

What I want to know is whether people appreciate this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Beaver)
    Something that really bothers student/professional engineers in this country is the common belief amongst the general public that engineering is not an academic subject. This is the only counrty in the world where a technician or mechanic can call him/herself an engineer and get away with it. In other countries in the world an engineer is somebody who has a degree and holds a position of great responsibility.

An engineering degree is virtually an applied mathematics degree. Every lecture contains mathematics apart from modules such as business studies etc...

What I want to know is whether people appreciate this.
    What can you do? The same things happens to graduate chemists, as most people assume 'chemist' is the same thing as 'pharmacist'.

You just have to live with it.

ReputationRep:
    as a engineering student, who just got back from a maths lecture, i can vouch for engineering degrees being applied maths.

ReputationRep:
    it is well annoying!.. some people mistakenly think civil engineers are construction workers .. are they?

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a proper engineer when I'm older but if I tried saying that to stupid people they'd think I wanted to be a mechanic or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I want to be a proper engineer when I'm older but if I tried saying that to stupid people they'd think I wanted to be a mechanic or something.
    Especially women over 30!!

Most people I speak to seem to regard being an engineer as about as respectable as being a doctor.

It sounds like an interesting job but I've heard it's not very stable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    It sounds like an interesting job but I've heard it's not a very stable.
    is that meant to be an engineering joke? in my experience engineers (particulary civil and mechanical) have very strange sense of humours... i say this as the daughter of a civil engineer and my best mates dad is the same (also civil)...

i think engineers are pretty respected.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    The problem here is that people think plumbers and electricians are engineers. This is an insult to people who have sat countless degree level mathematics and engineering papers. Its a problem confined to England.

My take on engineers is that they are like any professional types - some of them are really good but most just think they are.

(Original post by lou p lou)
    is that meant to be an engineering joke? in my experience engineers (particulary civil and mechanical) have very strange sense of humours... i say this as the daughter of a civil engineer and my best mates dad is the same (also civil)...
    lou xxx
    No, no, it's not a joke. I mean that I've heard that engineering jobs aren't very stable - i.e. engineers might lose their jobs if there's a downturn. As opposed to being a teacher, which is a stable job that you aren't likely to lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    No, no, it's not a joke. I mean that I've heard that engineering jobs aren't very stable - i.e. engineers might lose their jobs if there's a downturn. As opposed to being a teacher, which is a stable job that you aren't likely to lose.
    depends on your type of engineering- civil engineering is one of the most employable degrees around, wheras mechanical is amoung the most unemployed at the moment. but if you get a good degree from a good uni, then engineering degrees are pretty versatile (my dad's job has nothing to do with civil engineering per se, and his colleagues coem from a lot of different engineering/ physics/ maths/ chemistry bachgrounds).

teaching may be a stable job, but it is not as well paid with far less opportunities- i know there are promotion opportunities, but there is not the range of careers as there is with engineering. incidently my mum is a teacher who has just left her job because they closed an entire department at her school (which she was in), so she ended up in a jb she didn't like so packed it all in.

i know which one of my parents has the more stable career at the moment. i think all careers have a certain uncertainty about them. who knows what is going to be happening in 20 years time?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    The problem here is that people think plumbers and electricians are engineers. This is an insult to people who have sat countless degree level mathematics and engineering papers. Its a problem confined to England.

My take on engineers is that they are like any professional types - some of them are really good but most just think they are.
    As I am studying mechanical engineering, i very much agree that engineering is a very under rated profession. We deserve a lot more respect than we get and considering that the modern world is built by engineers, we shouldn't be associated with plumbers and electricians that get that title through apprenticeships, but we are associated with them and there is nothing we can do about it. The only way to get some sort of status is to do a Phd and get called Dr. That way you sound the don.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpio)
    As I am studying mechanical engineering, i very much agree that engineering is a very under rated profession. We deserve a lot more respect than we get and considering that the modern world is built by engineers, we shouldn't be associated with plumbers and electricians that get that title through apprenticeships, but we are associated with them and there is nothing we can do about it. The only way to get some sort of status is to do a Phd and get called Dr. That way you sound the don.
    There is something we can do and its something that lots of people from Britain feel obliged to do - move to France or Germany. In fact move anywhere that isnt Britain.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my gap year working for a civil eng. firm - the pay is crap, you get a whole load of hassle and you are not very respected within the construction trade.

ReputationRep:
    America (and Canada, I think) is like this too.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2003
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.