Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, what will I need to know on these specific unit 5 areas (becasue the specification is very unspecific):

a) potassium manganate titrations in the first topic

b) organic applications (I have never seen this asked in a past paper!)

c) ways of measuring the rate of a reaction, quite ambiguous in my notes

thanks for any help here

ReputationRep:
    Potassium manganate - you just need to know the general method and it's used for estimating the conc of a reducing agent. And be able to do calculations based on it

Organic applications I think refers to commercial uses. Things like polymers, fertilisers, drugs etc.

Rates of reaction. Usually one of

a. Measuring volume of gas produced
    b. If an acid/alkali is produced, remove a sample, stop the reaction and titrate with standard alkali/acid
    c. If Iodine produced, titrate with sodium thiosulphate
    c. Colour change. Can be used with iodine again (brown colour)

ReputationRep:
    okay thanks. Have you done a lot for organic applications? we didn't do any in class and something tells me, with my luck, it's gonna be on the paper tomorrow. But it hasnt come up yet.

I just know that groups such as -OH, -C=O, NH2 are water soluble so have a short retention time but are relased into the blood very fast, and fat soluble groups such as long alkyl chains have a long retention time..

then fertilisers like NH4+ and NO3- are fast at delivering nitrogen but this might cause too much growth and urea is slower releasing.

thats about it... (Im just typing it up to check I remember some of it)

Need to work on the rest though, like polymers and fats/soaps?

ReputationRep:
    cud u xplain visible and uv spectra 2 me bcos i was going thru spec and i havent dun it b4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    okay thanks. Have you done a lot for organic applications? we didn't do any in class and something tells me, with my luck, it's gonna be on the paper tomorrow. But it hasnt come up yet.

I just know that groups such as -OH, -C=O, NH2 are water soluble so have a short retention time but are relased into the blood very fast, and fat soluble groups such as long alkyl chains have a long retention time..

then fertilisers like NH4+ and NO3- are fast at delivering nitrogen but this might cause too much growth and urea is slower releasing.

thats about it... (Im just typing it up to check I remember some of it)

Need to work on the rest though, like polymers and fats/soaps?
    Nope we didnt do anything at college, I assume it's the sort of thing they expect you to read up on yourself! Not sure how much they want though to be honest and yup, have a gut feeling it'll be there tommorow!

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna cram it tomorrow morning I think, work like mad. I still ahve a couple papers to go through. Did jan04 today and got 53/75, which was dissapointing but I did make some schoolboy errors, eg. forgot to put square brackets round the complex ion diagram. Also I think they want "ethoxyethane" instead of ether from the markscheme which is a bit strange.

ReputationRep:
    yea ...i read some mark schemes with ethoxy ethate..but then sum with ether...im going for the long 1 2 b sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    I'm gonna cram it tomorrow morning I think, work like mad. I still ahve a couple papers to go through. Did jan04 today and got 53/75, which was dissapointing but I did make some schoolboy errors, eg. forgot to put square brackets round the complex ion diagram. Also I think they want "ethoxyethane" instead of ether from the markscheme which is a bit strange.
    I think its ethoxyethane or DRY ether. I've always used dry ether though.

ReputationRep:
    Yea "dry" gets its own mark on the one I did today so good to remember that.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.