Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what type of job are u looking for, cos you can often get lil odd jobs from companies such as accountants or graphic designers. but u have to call them and ask, tell them how u can help them out

ReputationRep:
    Really I'm looking for anything bar fast-food ya know but really I've only applied to regular shops, I've been trying to find places I could possibly waitress at.

ReputationRep:
    ever tried mc donalds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by braders89)
    yep. there all going to be gone for the summer by uni people. and then in september they will go and so there will loads of jobs

that's good news at least. i'll be an international student moving to london for uni in September. What job do you recommend the most, so I can go seek em out, since *hopefully* there'll be openings from the summer people all leaving.

ReputationRep:
    i have been applying as well, try retail shops. M and S told me there would be loads of vacancies in september.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that all the A level kids get the part time jobs beofre the uni kids, but I was wrong.

Get an envelope, write a covering letter go round your local shopping mall, go into every shop, those shops that have vacancies (ask one of the sales assistants), if they have no application forms go home with your covering letter, (try to get the name of the manager) and write them a personalised cover letter, write a cv, page max on comp). Hand the letter in to every shop, your cv will stand out if you give them a letter saying to (Manager or even better the managers actual name in an envelope) and then include a covering letter, I went into your shop to ask for part time work etc. etc. enclosed is my cv, I am able to work x hours/ days. Yours faithfully (full name) signature) then wait lol. Seriously though go in every shop, there must be at least a few shops needing sales assistants.
    The problem with this is, often going through 100 shops yields maybe 10 vacancies if lucky, and if you're being so all-emcompassing with your CV they may not even notice it. Tailoring the cv to the specific job to show your enthusiasm forthe product on sale/service on offer will improve your chanes a LOT.

Good advice about not giving CVs to assistants, try to get it to the manager if he/she is on the shp floor.

I tend to get interviews easily because I work on my CV a lot, but god damn my anti-social personality getting in the way.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.