Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing AEA History next Monday and if so how are you preparing for it? I'm beginning to think that it'll be three hours of my life I'd rather have back!

Thanks,

M.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it!

Very little preparation, reading a little historiography, re-reading a few essays I did for it a few months ago. There is no real way to prepare for it other than being interested I feel!

ReputationRep:
    I was going to do it but decided not to, but my dad is teaching one of my firends for it - they've been examing lots of articles and criticisms of the role of the historian and looking at why we study history and stuff. I wasn't allowed to do two AEAS, not fair!

ReputationRep:
    Yes! (Why? Argh.)

Very little preparation, reading a little historiography, re-reading a few essays I did for it a few months ago.
    Doing this. Also found some past papers on the net and have done a couple of essays. Very badly.
    I'm sure it will be a wonderful 3 hours!
    (tbh I'm more bothered about needing the loo half way through and not having the time to go than actually passing the thing!)

Good luck everyone! (And feel free to telepathically give me knowledge in the exam, if it's going spare...)

ReputationRep:
    Well, that was fun. I did no revision and some of my essays were terrible.
    But I had fun.
    I used the anti-german public opinion in Britain in teh run up to WWI for the role of the ordinary people. A bit of Intentionalist/Structuralist and Marxist/Liberal views of Nazi Germany on the arguments question. And then I did question 2 (the one about chance and long-term economic and social trends) and I talked about Marxism. Ended up arguing for economic trends even though I usually hate Marxism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Well, that was fun. I did no revision and some of my essays were terrible.
    But I had fun.
    I used the anti-german public opinion in Britain in teh run up to WWI for the role of the ordinary people. A bit of Intentionalist/Structuralist and Marxist/Liberal views of Nazi Germany on the arguments question. And then I did question 2 (the one about chance and long-term economic and social trends) and I talked about Marxism. Ended up arguing for economic trends even though I usually hate Marxism.

HAHA...i just failed...oh well..politics 2 luk forward 2 2moro :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't too bad I felt, didn't write that much (only 9 pages altogether) but questions didn't really require much writing since the arguments within them were so straight forward. I did question 3 (the 'politicians careers always end in failure') and the question was pretty stupid and easy to argue against. The sources weren't exactly meaty either. Mind you, We have been having lessons for this exam for 2 years with an Oxford historian. I'll probably fail it now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack0)
    It wasn't too bad I felt, didn't write that much (only 9 pages altogether) but questions didn't really require much writing since the arguments within them were so straight forward. I did question 3 (the 'politicians careers always end in failure') and the question was pretty stupid and easy to argue against. The sources weren't exactly meaty either. Mind you, We have been having lessons for this exam for 2 years with an Oxford historian. I'll probably fail it now!
    Really? I couldn't think of how to argue against it. Look at Churchill, Thatcher, Petain.

ReputationRep:
    I loved the first part, really - used 1832 Reform Act for public pressure, but disagreed that it was very important.

Thought question c was my best answer! Argued two reasons for different views; historians (historical, political and social preconceptions) and the past (not 'static' or 'linear' and sources incomplete) - used the sources loads, and Nazi Germany in about 6 different ways.

I did question 2 about chance too - felt I answered it by blagging, but also think it was the hardest question.

I enjoyed it, but 3 hours is a hell of an exam....

ReputationRep:
    Really? I couldn't think of how to argue against it. Look at Churchill, Thatcher, Petain.
    Roosevelt, Johnson, Reagan, Clinton, Lenin, Stalin, Yeltsin....

The list goes on - I just thoght it was I naff question which didn't really involve history....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whauden)
    Roosevelt, Johnson, Reagan, Clinton, Lenin, Stalin, Yeltsin....

The list goes on - I just thoght it was I naff question which didn't really involve history....

I did dat Q..lots 2say 2bhonest..den again i got no chance passin..i didnt even prepare for it..sat with a blind eye....duz any1 know the grade boundaries for the paper approximately for dist. and mert. ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm an early modernist so using Oliver Cromwell and Charles II was able to argue against. Modern politicians are a different kettle of fish I think. They were pragmatic leaders, and simply saying their reigns were ultimately failures is to take things out of their historical context really. You have to measure up their successes and failures in a fair way. Failure is a label too often used in History.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well *that* was fun.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't too bad I felt, didn't write that much (only 9 pages altogether) but questions didn't really require much writing since the arguments within them were so straight forward. I did question 3 (the 'politicians careers always end in failure') and the question was pretty stupid and easy to argue against. The sources weren't exactly meaty either.
    Good for you. *growls enviously*

I liked the first three Qs...also happen to like Hobsbawm and Taylor because I actually understand them.
    Did Q3, which was a mistake...

2 left! *bounces* Shame Politics isn't over yet...
    Good luck everyone in what've you've still got!
    (And if you've finished, shhhhh.)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 28, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.