Turn on thread page Beta

Aromatic conditions & reactions - Edexcel watch

ReputationRep:
    Before I learn this stuff (almost finished now!) I thought i better check all of my conditions are correct - this is for edexcel;

1) Bromination of benzene; Br2, anyhrdrous AlBr3 / FeBr3, RT (room temp)
    2) Alkylation of benzene; R'Cl, anyhdrous AlCl3, heat under reflux
    3) Acylation of benzen; RCOCl, anyhdrous AlCl3, heat under reflux

4) Nitrobenzene -> phenylamine; Tin & conc. HCl - followed by NaOH4, RT
    5) Phenylamin -> Diazonium Ion; HNO2 (made by conc. HNO3 and conc. HCl), under 5 degrees

6) If this is done above 5 degrees, phenol is formed?

7) Diazonium ion with phenol in a coupling reaction gives the two benzene rings linked by N2 ???

8) Acylation of phenol; acyl chloride in NaOH (what is the product called btw?)

9) Bromination of phenol - just Br2 at RT

If any of these are even slightly wrong, id love to know!

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, can all carbon containing side chains be oxidised to -COOH with the addition of hot alkaline KMnO4?

ReputationRep:
    aslong as the carbon is binded directly to tha ring...it will form COO- with the addition of hot alkaline KMnO4..then u have to acidify to get COOH

ReputationRep:
    I dont think we need to know the acylation of phenol for edexcel, only bromination, conversion to the phenate ion and esterification. Also, when you reduce nitrobenzene to form phenylamine, you need to make the condition alkaline with NaOH, not NaOH4 (whatever that is ... typo maybe lol)

and yea the benzoate ion will be made from the reduction of aliphatic side chains on benzene, you need to add acid to precipitate benzoic acid.

ReputationRep:
    8) is esterification of phenol. Basically disolve it in NaOH to form sodium phenate and then react with an acyl [e.g. ethanoyl] chloride in excess to give something like phenyl ethanoate and sodium chloride.

Also friedel-crafts reaction usually work at RT but may need heating under reflux

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.